Quantcast

Turner DHR vs. Ironhorse Sunday

Nov 9, 2005
I have done a search and have seen plenty of threads comparing the DHR to other bikes, and the Sunday to other bikes. Both being race bikes, which one performed better? Which one pedaled better? I know that the DW-Link gives great pedaling efficency, but how about the turner? Which one would you perfer?

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
i never tried the sunday
today i ride a DHR and its a ****ing great bike!
corners like no other i ever ridden.
btw, i think that you cant go wrong with these 2

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i know its has because i made this exact post, try another search in both freeride, and DH

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
both bikes are fine. but for my is importend how make the bike!
turner dhr is handmade by turner all under one roof, the sunday's are made all in taiwan "they are to expensive for a taiwan production"!!
thats tell my a man from the mountain cycle factory!
i like the philosophie from turner more!!!
and the turner looks more racing and feel pretty fine between my legs!!

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I posted a thread exactly like this-
not sure how it did not show up in a search

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131152

anyhoo when i was making my decision I came to the conclusion that it was a win win situation, both awesome bikes, each bike had small advantages in my opinion but overall pretty even, I had tried a DHR before I made my decision and I absolutely loved it
Having now purchased a Sunday I am happy with my decision and even after riding both bikes back to back I know I would have been more than content on either rig.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The Sunday is the only bike I would consider riding over my DHR but I don't think you can beat the customer service and love of the sport the good folks at Turner have. :love:

BTW: I'll be riding a DHR for my 3rd straight year. Prior to riding a DHR I switched bikes every year.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
eater said:
turner dhr is handmade by turner all under one roof, the sunday's are made all in taiwan "they are to expensive for a taiwan production"!!
Only the Sunday complete's frames are made in Taiwan, the Sunday Factory framesets are made in the U.S.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
sbabuser said:
Only the Sunday complete's frames are made in Taiwan, the Sunday Factory framesets are made in the U.S.
but one the website they dont sale this "factory frames"....?
but turner sale his U.S made frames

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
zedro said:
.....and thats when i stopped reading...
Thanks for the correction - but why the taunting reply?

Edit: I don't read too much into all the suspension talk and theories behind it - I judge a bike by how it feels on the hill and not how it looks on paper.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Acadian said:
Thanks for the correction - but why the taunting reply?

Edit: I don't read too much into all the suspension talk and theories behind it - I judge a bike by how it feels on the hill and not how it looks on paper.
heh, wasent correcting you (but perhaps taunting); my eyes were rolling in the back of my skull because you werent practicising what you preach by your edit...very unlike you :p

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
zedro said:
heh, wasent correcting you (but perhaps taunting); my eyes were rolling in the back of my skull because you werent practicising what you preach by your edit...very unlike you :p
:( guess you're right. It's kind of the reason why I tend to stay out of all those techie suspension design threads - trying to read those gives me headaches!! But then again maybe I should spend more time reading them ;)

Also one of the reasons why I like to buy these new bikes! I can try them out and judge for myself (like DHi, V10, DHR, and Sunday). Other than the DHR they were all bikes that were in their first year of production.

oh well...back in the garage.

late..

Nov 9, 2005
i hate to bring up an old thread but from those who have ridden both, have any of your opinions on either bike changed as time has gone on?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
This is my first season on a DHR, and I cannot stop smiling everytime I ride it. It's just a blast.

I have friends who love their Sunday's as well. Like others have said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have an '02 DHR (retired) and an '05 Sunday (my current race sled). The DHR back then had a sharper head angle and a bit different suspension linkage. It still rocked though!

The biggest difference between them (like Acadian said) is the square bump adsorption. Every bike takes a bit of learning to really eek out the most of the frame/suspension design. You just learn to take those square edge hits differently. Also, with the Sunday, you have to constantly remind yourself to weight the front end more for maximum turning pleasure in tighter corners (that is my opinion and have heard the same from my teammates who are also race Sunday's for the first time). Once you figure that out, you're golden.

So to sum it up, both bikes are racing winning machines and you can't go wrong with either (hmmm...sounds familiar doesn't it?). Pick the one you can get the best deal on. Or if you're on the east coast, get the Sunday. West coast, go with the DHR. Just in case you have issues, you are physically closer to help. That may be taking it to extremes....whatev's....just get "a" bike and get out and ride!

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
I think everyone agrees you really couldn't make a bad choice with either one, the thing that swayed me was the customer service from Turner, and they'll keep me as a customer because their service has been nothing short of amazing!

Nov 9, 2005
i'm thinking DHR would suit me better, but i have a 7 month old stab supreme and it feels ok but it wasnt a huge jump over my stinky which i had before.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
What about the linkage bearings on the Sunday ? I have heard that they are pretty crappy and the the linkage of the Sunday becomes pretty sloppy in no time. I have to add that I have no experience of the Sunday in person, so I dont know if there is anything to this story ?!?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The only Sunday bearing issues were on 05 complete bikes from first production shipped to UK, NZ, & Australia where the factory did not install Enduro Max bearings as instructed. These bearings were provided at no charge to distributors and everything in regards to this has been pretty keen since.

-ska todd

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Whats an enduro max bearing gonna do for you?
spin faster? Bearing quality has no impact on play.
bearings barely move in there!
Linkage play is linkage play.
Do Sundays develop linkage play?
thats what I really want to know....
Sunday geometry looks good thats for sure.
but linkage play is inexcusable.
Play can make a man quit the sport.
can make a man cry really....

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
sharkdh said:
bearings can make a huge difference. If you install bearings with a low static load rating and ride on them, you will destroy them and consequently run into issues with slop, etc.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sharkdh said:
There is no linkage play on Sundays, and bearing life is very, very good. he only Sundays that ever had an issue were the first 40 or so that went to Australia, NZ, UK in early 2005, and the ones with Progressive shocks with bad tolerance hardware. The bike itself is stiff and relatively maintenence free. Take care of it and it will give you lots of love back.

Dave

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dw said:
Take care of it and it will give you lots of love back.
exactly. just like anything else you buy. i've ridden both, yes on DH runs. and at the moment i really wouldn't mind getting a sunday, for the hell of it.
:love:

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
dw said:
There is no linkage play on Sundays, and bearing life is very, very good. he only Sundays that ever had an issue were the first 40 or so that went to Australia, NZ, UK in early 2005, and the ones with Progressive shocks with bad tolerance hardware. The bike itself is stiff and relatively maintenence free. Take care of it and it will give you lots of love back.

Dave

I just put a dhx on my '05 using the bushings/reducers that fox sent me and there is more play in them then there was with the progressive. Is that a common issue with the fox hardware as well?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
art vandelay said:
I just put a dhx on my '05 using the bushings/reducers that fox sent me and there is more play in them then there was with the progressive. Is that a common issue with the fox hardware as well?
\

Maybe, sounds like you need to talk with FOX customer service about that. The 5 bikes I have had here with DHX s have been rock solid.

Dave