Quantcast

Unprofessional LBS

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
(long rant)

I am in charge of all the equipment for our bike unit, including the purchasing of new bikes when grant money is allotted.
Our street crimes unit was given about $2k to cover 2 new bikes with some basic equipment and i was tasked with picking out the best bikes for the price and mission of that unit.

There are two local bike shops, one carries Giant and Haro and the other carries Trek and GT. Our procedures for federal grant money purchases require a bid process between 3 vendors and the best price wins. so, in order to complete the 3 vendor aspect of the bid, i included the shop i ride for, Cycletherapy, that is located in a neighboring town.

Given the price constraints i decided to go with a Haro Flightline expert, a capable hardtail with a favorable geometry and parts spec for our mission. I obtained the bids from my shop (Haro dealer) and from the local shop that carries Haro and also a quote on a similarly spec'd Trek from the other local shop.
My shop won the bid by about $30 per bike and we picked up the bikes late last month along with about $500 or so in equipment and everything is hunky dory.

Last week i walk into the LBS to snag a few tubes for the unit when I'm cornered by the owner who gives me the third degree on why "that shop up there" got the bid and not his shop, "after all, i pay city taxes!". he also said that if i had gone through him we could get free tune-ups, i tell him that i have a workshop and do all the work myself and he responds, "well, i guess if you wanted the work done right you would've bought from me"
I tried to explain the bid process to him and that once i get the quotes it's out of my hands and is decided by the command staff based on the price of the bids. (none of the vendors knew the bid price of any of the other vendors) he continues to argue saying if we would have told him that the other shop beat his price he would have lowered it....i tried, again, to explain how the bid process works but he just wasn't getting it. he's noticeably upset and accuses that i used my "connections" to undermine him. I then tell him that we have a grant forthcoming for my unit to get 6 new bikes at $2200 per bike and that i haven't decided which bikes we're going for yet so he'll have the opportunity to win the bid again when the grant goes through. he walks away mumbling about the "i pay taxes" line and ignores me. i leave and get the tubes at the other, family owned, LBS.
the next day, my partner walks into the same shop to look for something for his personal bike (he was unaware of the conversation the day prior) and gets the third degree from one of the young hipster shop employees about how his shop actually beat the price of "the other" shop and that we only chose "the other" shop because of my connections. an absolute lie.

so needless to say, i won't be using that LBS for any of our small part needs and definitely not for any future bids. he won the bid for our old bikes back in '06 where we spent about $8k at his shop....and now he treats us like this?!

:disgust1:

no wonder my friends who are his ex-team members can't stand him and wouldn't race for him again even if he paid them.

unprofessional. period.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
wow. That sucks. I'm so glad it wasn't me in that situation. I'm one of those people that has a hard time dealing with people verbally attacking me. I retaliate. I would've gotten in trouble.
good thing you have a cool head.

That really does suck. I'm sure they'll notice how stupid they look in a few days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ron White said:
You can't fix stupid.
Did you tell him it was federal grant money and the fact that it wasn't in town had no relevancy?

If that shop ever gets robbed, make sure you take your good old time getting there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wow, what a prick. Thats a pretty big CS fail right there. I just dont get how the dude would think that talking to you like that would make you want to come back at all, and to have his employee's do the same ****? Guess he doesnt get that you just cant win them all.

Oh well, guess you know which shop NOT to shop in.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Oh well, guess you know which shop NOT to shop in.
i never like that shop in the first place, i was just "grandfathered" into getting stuff there when i took over the bike unit because we had an "account" there. some of my riding buddies are former team riders for him and they have horrible stories of how bad he treated the team (no support, no discounts....)

he even has the audacity to ask if you're shopping for personal stuff or city stuff and he adjust the price accordingly. if you say you're buying city equipment he charges full price, if personal he'll give a small discount. that's just uncool. we are/were one of his biggest and most consistent customers...not anymore.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
i'm really good at staying silent and letting people dig their own holes...he did a great job of it.
That is my Dad's greatest ability.

I am not sure how big a town you are in but the 5k person one I grew up in had two car dealers, and the department needed new cruisers. Third bid comes from the next city over and they also came in the lowest. now everyone is pi$$ed cause they didn't buy cars from one of the local guys. :disgust1:

One it is not a choice where they buy from, low bid wins.

The theory of bids is good, except when you can't bid equally in one location like you can another.

BTW the loser store sounds like a loser store, can't do anything to change them.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Crazy. We use the same bidding process in the courthouse I work for. The difference is that IT vendors know when it's best not to argue. It's funny because all bids and decisions on those bids are public record, so if someone thinks something shady is going on, all they have to do is ask for a copy of the paperwork. Sounds to me like you're saving tax dollars by going with a shop that won't try to rip off a government account.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
it's amazing how some business owners think that they should win bids from their city/town just because they have their business in that city/town. from what you've said he sounds like a total DB, but also sounds like he doesn't understand the whole bidding process. i can see that maybe he's pissed because of the economy, but he should be pissed at himself for not figuring out the "business down the line". had he put some thought into it, and got a new personality, he could have made some money and possibly won some new business. that's why some fail and others succeed.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
ahahaha...do you have a link to the original video of that arkayne? i'd love to put that in my next police bike course. :rofl:
unfortunately, no. :( I just have the .gif. What the heck was that guy doing? trying to ghostride the bike into the water?

edit: sweet, thx for the u2b link!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
What kind of thick bastard doesn't understand how the tender process works? Bugger me dead Manimal, I'm with Stink here, give him your truncheon across his dial.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
unfortunately, no. :( I just have the .gif. What the heck was that guy doing? trying to ghostride the bike into the water?

edit: sweet, thx for the u2b link!
i really have no idea what that guy was doing but i THINK he was doing some sort of dismount to foot pursuit....which doesn't work unless you give your legs a few baby steps to get the blood in the right muscles.

i section of my bike course teaches pursuits and takedowns from the bike that includes a 1/2 mile sprint on the bike then a dismount followed by a foot pursuit and takedown. it's hilarious watching the people who didn't listen to my "baby steps" lecture collapse when they dismount and try to immediately sprint on foot. :rofl:

you should try it sometime...get a good leg burner of a sprint going for at least 45 seconds and then try to jump off and sprint on foot...just make sure you're on grass when you do it ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm confused a little here Manimal. Was the shop owner who acted like a tool located in the city where you work ? I'm just trying to understand if it was " your " shop or one in HP or GSO.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i never like that shop in the first place, i was just "grandfathered" into getting stuff there when i took over the bike unit because we had an "account" there. some of my riding buddies are former team riders for him and they have horrible stories of how bad he treated the team (no support, no discounts....)

he even has the audacity to ask if you're shopping for personal stuff or city stuff and he adjust the price accordingly. if you say you're buying city equipment he charges full price, if personal he'll give a small discount. that's just uncool. we are/were one of his biggest and most consistent customers...not anymore.
Frankly, I have seen some of the weakest business minds involved with the bike business.

I don't have enough retail experience to fully understand, except that cycling does attract a lot of losers.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
been in and out of alot of shops, there is always one factor that leads most shops down the tubes, greed

its not a busines to get rich in. it will pay the bills at most, but not make huge bank. its when they start raising prices and dropping inventory to make a buck. then the attitudes and customer service plummets because nobody is happy.

I only know of a few shop that truly do well because they have kept greed out of it and do it for enjoyment and the money has followed. they have spectacular club rides, awsome customer base and true mechanics that get paid their worth.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Uber poor customer service there. I understand his want to keep local money with the local business, but you explained to him that it was FEDERAL GRANT... and he refused to listen. Eff'm. If he's too close minded to even listen to what you have to say, then it's his loss.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I love when our owner bitches about people shopping out of town and then does the same or goes to some big box store. I don't mind people shopping elsewhere, I just peeve a bit when they use my knowledge to do so. Since I am 40 miles from Crawford, I had the chance to bid on $2500 bikes for the secret service. I took a pass on it. Our local PD gets all of my love. That said, the guy in charge of bikes is my best friend. Maybe this guy should have made nice.

Local is only good when it makes sense. Now, get someone to write his ass some tickets.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Customer service in general is a sad state of affairs right now. It's funny to me how tons of small businesses are going down right now and blaming it on "the economy" when if their customer service was better I'll be the customers would flock to them.

It's the bike shop owner's fault - I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just don't shop there anymore.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
no wonder my friends who are his ex-team members can't stand him and wouldn't race for him again even if he paid them.
Don't get catty... :shocked:

This economy makes everything dollar worth a lot more than it was few years back, maybe your two bikes are life or death to him now.

Levi Leipheimer's brother owns the shop in Butte that might be my new LBS. He doesn't do forks so I'm not convinced. I may just pick it for the brush with greatness cred to use on my grandchildren,

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thanks for the offer - its more of a time issue with me, I work upwards of 60 hours a week. I don't clean, do laundry or change the oil in my cars... :busted:

forks are super simple, and all the tech notes are online, you will do better without the service. you really dont need special tools either. just dive in ,

pm me if you need help.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I'm confused a little here Manimal. Was the shop owner who acted like a tool located in the city where you work ? I'm just trying to understand if it was " your " shop or one in HP or GSO.
sorry for the confusion. "my shop" = cycletherapy. bad shop = local shop on extreme south end of HP, not Toy & Hobby so you, being local, can figure out the only other shop in HP ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
sorry for the confusion. "my shop" = cycletherapy. bad shop = local shop on extreme south end of HP, not Toy & Hobby so you, being local, can figure out the only other shop in HP ;)
Oh OK.

I don't think I've ever been in there. I think someone from that shop was in an episode of Roy's Folks with me and Chris Whitman ( Piedmont Pedaler ) in '91 or so.

Are you still planning on doing a street ride in downtown soon ? Let me know and I'll bring the big bike to the studio. There is a skinny in front of the jail or near there that I want to try.