Quantcast

Upgrade complete: details here. Please post feedback or problems.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
iPad 2. New Posts. Mark Read link top left bar, from results page. Button does nothing. Used to work last week, iirc.

Works when I'm in a thread, then select all forums, then hit button.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
iPad 2. New Posts. Mark Read link top left bar, from results page. Button does nothing. Used to work last week, iirc.

Works when I'm in a thread, then select all forums, then hit button.
Thanks, I'll do some testing.

Does the "Mark Forums Read" link that appears on the New Posts page, above the results, work?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It pops up its overlay but clicking on that button is what seems to be broken.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The GIF thread takes forever to load.
The GIF thread has always taken forever to load... going back to vBulletin. Unless you've got a pretty fast machine - and even then, it can struggle - loading 30+ animated GIFs is going to take a long time.

Is it particularly or measurably worse since the update?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Load times for the gifs are about the same, but while loading the page stalls/freezes are more noticeable, even on a SSD-only machine (at least on Chrome, haven't checked FF or IE).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The GIF thread has always taken forever to load... going back to vBulletin. Unless you've got a pretty fast machine - and even then, it can struggle - loading 30+ animated GIFs is going to take a long time.

Yeah I would agree with Syadisti that it's more of a stall, lock-up type situation vs. just long loading. I don't visit the thread too much because of this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is the crashing/bad stuttering reliable and repeatable for anyone? I might need some help testing a fix.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I haven't used firefox in a while, but the gif issue is only occurring for me in chrome. The gif thread loads normally in firefox. IE works fine too. Its like FF and IE load the layout but don't display the gifs until they are downloaded - chrome tries to load everything at once including the gifs so it crawls until everything is downloaded.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Scroll down so mini bar appears instead of full header. Edit post with popup editor. Save. Floating mini bar is now AWOL, including when visiting other threads.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
iPad, iOS 8, Safari. I agree that it doesn't happen on desktop.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
From the testing I've done it looks like jumpiness in the animated GIF thread is mostly related to the size, length and quantity of GIFs on the page, and doesn't actually relate to the upgrades. It just happens that there were some particularly slow-loading GIFs posted in that thread around the time of the upgrade. I did a bunch of back-to-back comparisons against the old version of the site.

I can lazy-load images, basically not loading images until you scroll over them. I like the idea but can't implement it per-thread so it would affect the whole site. Gotta do some testing.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
For me it totally freezes the GIF thread. So much I can't just hit the back button or even just close the tap it really bogs down browser. I have 100/100 at the office and 25/10 at home and its slow both home and at the office.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For me it totally freezes the GIF thread. So much I can't just hit the back button or even just close the tap it really bogs down browser. I have 100/100 at the office and 25/10 at home and its slow both home and at the office.
Hmm, that doesn't sound like what I'm seeing in testing. Will try it from some other machines.

It's not a connection speed issue, it's just really challenging for the browser to be rendering that many animated GIF frames at once.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It only happens to me in chrome no matter now good the computer is on a fiber connection - I don't recall ever having this problem until the upgrade. FF browser has never had an issue pre or post upgrade.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the Utah ad in the DH forum is a bit overwhelming. anytime you press on anything in the page, a new page opens at the Utah site. I tried to search a thread, and anytime I clicked on an option... new page. Very annoying. Once would be fine... every single time you click on something? -----> I'll never go to Utah again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Utah ad in the DH forum is a bit overwhelming. anytime you press on anything in the page, a new page opens at the Utah site. I tried to search a thread, and anytime I clicked on an option... new page. Very annoying. Once would be fine... every single time you click on something? -----> I'll never go to Utah again.
That's, uh, definitely not functioning as designed. It should only ever open a new page if you actually click on the ad. Must be a bug in the ad template - I'll look into it.