Quantcast

US Financial Literacy Survey

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Just curious... how many of you have a pension in addition to your 401K? I was the last generation of trainees in my company to get both, a 50% match up to 6% and a qualified pension. It makes saving easy.
I had one for the first 15 years I was at this company (equivalent to 6% of my salary) but they've since terminated the plan and I now get that same percentage deposited into my 403b instead (I max out my 403b contribution every year). The pension money is still there though and I am fully vested.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had one for the first 15 years I was at this company (equivalent to 6% of my salary) but they've since terminated the plan and I now get that same percentage deposited into my 403b instead (I max out my 403b contribution every year). The pension money is still there though and I am fully vested.
How is it a defined benefit plan if they defined it by your contribution? :D

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't worry about savings anymore, I will still be working when I die, a divorce will take anything I have away anyways.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Pension is stupid good. Like, shockingly good. I want to get a job as a librarian there good.
In that case, hate on. Yea, ours is 2.7@55, so basically 2.7% per year of service up to a max of 30 years. I started here at 26, so could work until 56ish to get full pop. It's never something I've planned on, as I want to have my own savings set aside, so essentially planning on the pension being gravy. I've got almost 10 years on. Only another 20 to go...

Things have turned around here quite a bit, 6 months to a year ago, I would have been gone for the right offer.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There isn't a pension here (never worked somewhere that had one) but this is as close to working for the city as it gets without actually working for the city. As a major utility, we do have pretty sweet benefits and while I will likely die before retire, I could actually do 20 years here and not kill anyone. Of course this is 2 weeks in, that could change. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Based on 6% of salary for DB. Going forward moves to DC plan. He stated it perfectly.
As in the pension replaces 6% of salary as it sits? Ah, I misread that as they were putting in some amount based off of that.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As in the pension replaces 6% of salary as it sits? Ah, I misread that as they were putting in some amount based off of that.
Pension value is added at 6% of current salary. Cash value /= payout rate

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pension value is added at 6% of current salary. Cash value /= payout rate
Huh. The only way I'd seen it phrased (from people 10+ years older than me at my NY employer, who had a posh pension) was in %/year. They got 2%/year up to 30 years, vested at 15? 20? Residency counted so one could be ~56 with a 60% of a radiologist's salary pension.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Huh. The only way I'd seen it phrased (from people 10+ years older than me at my NY employer, who had a posh pension) was in %/year. They got 2%/year up to 30 years, vested at 15? 20? Residency counted so one could be ~56 with a 60% of a radiologist's salary pension.
Accrual pace is different than payout rate. There are a few ways that pensions are funded and we are looking at two right now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My dad has one hell of a pension from United Airlines... but he started in 1967.
Legacy employees often have them. Nobody that started in the 2000's will have them (if that late).
United was still flying mainline routes with airplanes that had propellers in 67. Dad's pension probably didn't survive Sept 11 either I bet?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
this thread has made me reevaluate my cash flows and expenses, I could be doing much better. :mad:
The wife and I are cutting further because she is cutting back hours, but we really like our lifestyle. While not crazy, we do have it pretty good. I refuse to suffer too much now because if I get hit by a bus, I will feel cheated and she will be set from the insurance payout on top of what is in there now. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
United was still flying mainline routes with airplanes that had propellers in 67. Dad's pension probably didn't survive Sept 11 either I bet?
Here it is stories of folks who lost out with Enron (Enron stock was given for EVERYTHING from retirement to bonuses). :panic:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My retirement has an annuity component of 1.1% of the average my high 3 salary years X the number of years in the system.

The real $'s comes from our version of a 401k.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
#keepingupwiththejonesesrateofsavings
The new status symbol is a healthy tax-deferred account. And a dentist bike, can't forget that, too. :D

One of my uncles works for the Pension Benefit and Guaranty Corporation +/- spelling. Corporate raiders are the bane of the working man, and then PBGC picks up the slack, but only sort of. Airline pilots got a big haircut iirc, not sure if United or other.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The new status symbol is a healthy tax-deferred account. And a dentist bike, can't forget that, too. :D
I know folks around here, who based on what they do and how they spend money, cannot be setting aside nearly enough money. Unless they have some large investment stash floating around somewhere, I can actually see that they are fucked in the longterm. Even some of my good friends (who make more than us) can't afford their lifestyles and are taken aback when I tell them how much we save annually.

I still have a goal of $xxxk in savings/investments (not including liquid cash or property) by the time we're 40. It's going to be a stretch, but I'm pretty sure we can make it assuming no drastic household income changes or large-scale market corrections. But yeah, having a large retirement account(s) is a huge factor to that.

Some interesting facts to chew on:

1. CDC - 2012: Avg life expectancy from someone turning 65 (in 2012) is 19.3 years and increasing.
2. Social Security Admin - 2014: 25% of 65 year olds today will live over 90 years; 10% will live >95 years.
3. Employee Benefit Research Institues - 2014: ~44% of boom generations (1948-1975) are likely to run short of money
4. Federal Reserve - 2013: Typical household with workers 55-64 has a combined $111,000 in retirement accounts, not the recommended 8-12x annual income.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sometimes I feel like I'm not saving enough, but then I see some of these numbers and it blows me away how little most people actually save. We typically don't have a ton in terms of actual cash, but feel like I'm on track with other stuff. I also have stock market accounts going for both kids. We contribute $50 each paycheck for each kid. Use it for college, a house or some other large purchase.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A huge factor in my issues with savings was the support (and continued support) of not one, but two ex's both while together then long after we were apart. When you are trying to support a modest standard of living on a single income, it leaves little for savings. The idea was they would eventually work, boy was I wrong. :panic:

My wife makes nearly what I do and has less in student loans (and her car note is a better rate than mine, too). But not only is having a little money in the bank a "new" feeling for me, being able to put 10+% into my 401k the last few years has just been wacky, Now that my place matches the first 5% that means I will likely put at least 15% in the rest of this year, but we've agreed to put all my raises there as well. While I have a long way to go, I have at least 20 years left in me for working and should be able to stuff something away before then.

Then there is always Megabucks ($7.5M this weekend). After taxes and fees for lump sum, that is a cool $3M and that is enough to retire on in 10 years. :rofl:

<edit> And while I might not have a house paid off in the next 20 years, I "should" be done paying my student loans by then. :(

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. CDC - 2012: Avg life expectancy from someone turning 65 (in 2012) is 19.3 years and increasing.
2. Social Security Admin - 2014: 25% of 65 year olds today will live over 90 years; 10% will live >95 years.
3. Employee Benefit Research Institues - 2014: ~44% of boom generations (1948-1975) are likely to run short of money
4. Federal Reserve - 2013: Typical household with workers 55-64 has a combined $111,000 in retirement accounts, not the recommended 8-12x annual income.
My investment dude dues the live balance sheet which has been helpful but its not easy when you also throw the option to move back to Denmark or not. However savings is savings of course.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Non-profits. Who knows how they survive when they give all of their money to employees?
They are starting to cut back, but I've been here long enough that I am grandfathered into the old plans. Even with plans changing and ending, I get a better deal than new hires. I can't go looking for a new job because my benefits here are way too good to give up. I get seven weeks of PTO every year, ffs...and carry over anything not used (current balance is 22 days).

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
They are starting to cut back, but I've been here long enough that I am grandfathered into the old plans. Even with plans changing and ending, I get a better deal than new hires. I can't go looking for a new job because my benefits here are way too good to give up. I get seven weeks of PTO every year, ffs...and carry over anything not used (current balance is 22 days).

7 weeks is great!

I get 26 days of annual leave/year, plus I'm allowed to carry over 45 days from year to year which I do. As far as sick leave goes, I get 13 day/yr and it carries over year to year. I'm sitting on 1400+ hrs at the moment. If unused it converts to time towards retirement.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i have a 40 day max accrual, currently sitting at ...WTF way too much unused PTO. Time for a day off.
Me too - if I don't expend my 26 days/yr I loose it,

My usual MO is to take every Friday off from Sept - the first week in Jan. Four day work weeks are great!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
As far as I know it did but was converted to Covea ( sp? reservation systems) sometime prior to his retirement. He has never said anything and they seem to be living a similar lifestyle compared to when he was working. At some point UAL spun off their reservation system and my dad went with it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As far as I know it did but was converted to Covea ( sp? reservation systems) sometime prior to his retirement. He has never said anything and they seem to be living a similar lifestyle compared to when he was working. At some point UAL spun off their reservation system and my dad went with it.
I actually looked into this after I posted that. United shed itself of its pension obligation during its 2005 bankruptcy. I suppose it's possible your dad's pension got spun off when he did, but I couldn't say.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I actually looked into this after I posted that. United shed itself of its pension obligation during its 2005 bankruptcy. I suppose it's possible your dad's pension got spun off when he did, but I couldn't say.
I'll ask him, it seems to me that was the early 90s about the time the Kansai International airport opened, my dad worked on the flight arrival / departure tracking system.