Quantcast

US Open Fish line Jump

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Wow.

I knew at the beginning of the year that I wouldn't be able to make the US Open this year, but after seeing that, I don't know whether to be sad or relieved... Never gone that big right to flat, and don't know how I'd handle the speed (like mentally be able to buck up and just do it) required to hit the proper landing.

Nice job Diablo guys.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Im worried im sitting here thinking " looks fine!" and im not normally one for the big jumps.

Still i did just get back from NZ where this goes on in race tracks:

crappy pic, but they love their jumps down there!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The knuckle behind my pinky finger is not where it is supposed to be.
It evidently wandered off when I could not find a soft place to land here:

Hey somebody tell profro he's about to ride into a nasty creek with a buch of iron in it.

EVERY race course should have something like that in it. I want to punch testicles every time I meet a guy who says he races semi pro who is scared of jumps.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
that looks dangerous but i will probably hit it anyway. somebody is going to get really F'ed up on that.
...and I can't help but think that, this year at least, it won't be me.

See you guys next year. And remember, if you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

:cool:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
EVERY race course should have something like that in it. I want to punch testicles every time I meet a guy who says he races semi pro who is scared of jumps.

agree 100%... unfortunately when we do see big stuff (rare occasion) it is build by someone cluless. too many times have i seen big gaps with trail style kickers that the wheelbase of you bike barely fits on that you will die on if you hit fast... big bear comes to mind, st.anne a few years ago, a certain mountain in southern new england, etc

i am all for the big stuff so long as there is some quality control going on... everything built at diablo is pretty spot on so i am sure this thing wil ba awsome

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
agree 100%... unfortunately when we do see big stuff (rare occasion) it is build by someone cluless. too many times have i seen big gaps with trail style kickers that the wheelbase of you bike barely fits on that you will die on if you hit fast... big bear comes to mind, st.anne a few years ago, a certain mountain in southern new england, etc

i am all for the big stuff so long as there is some quality control going on... everything built at diablo is pretty spot on so i am sure this thing wil ba awsome
The rock drop gap thing at ste anne last year was the last time I saw a big jump on a race course that was built right. Was a LONG tme before that that i saw something else decent.

Also, the rock drop was crazy fun.

The Jump that almost killed waddell was the perfect example of "extreme!11!!" gone terribly wrong.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Big Bear had to build scary kicker jumps at the bottom of their courses to help people like me forget that I just flew 5 hours across the country to ride down a fartdust fireroad.
Oh but remember the ambience of a clapped out condo rental with snowboarders splooge all over the walls! and horrible mexican food restaurants.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Oh but remember the ambience of a clapped out condo rental with snowboarders splooge all over the walls! and horrible mexican food restaurants.
or a 3' snowstorm on friday followed by temps in the 80's saturday and sunday... in the second week of may

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
this is a relief. by this part of the course my hands will be killing, and the normal ski trail/turn/bridge is rough on them by the end of your run come late saturday/sunday, so since its groomed and wonderful there will be no pain. :)
Are you gonna be there this year Dexter? I'm already here, gonna practice on Friday. I can't wait for the race!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Big Bear had to build scary kicker jumps at the bottom of their courses to help people like me forget that I just flew 5 hours across the country to ride down a fartdust fireroad.
Yeah, but it really sucked to be standing in line to go up for one last practice session and watching them cart her off. Then, riding up the lift and watching a guy that used to post here named Saboo (I think) get waxed on the double double. I don't like seeing helicopters.

I actually liked all of the Big Bear courses I raced (2002-2004). However, the jumps at the bottom in 2002 and 2003 were sketch.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
my biggest prob is I'm not leaving NC til tomorrow and everybody else packed out today. Jeremy broke his hand, Herndon, Garritt, Murphy, Joe Haley, Motomike, Andy Devault and on down the line all left out today. Doug, Brazwell and crew did as well.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
If ya'll ride lower dominion while you are at the Open this weekend, feel out that last table top before you hit it at speed, it has way more lip than it did in the past . If you hit it at speed on your race bike it will load your rear suspension and throw you over the bars if you aren't careful. I have the broken collar bone to prove it. Finish line jump looks awesome, sure wish I could hit it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
It wasn't the Mexican Food for us. Jeremy, Eric Porter, and a few of us others went to this one restaurant up there after riding all day and was looking at the menu trying to decide what to eat. The waitress came out and said the special was Surf and Turf all you can eat for $25. Everyone of us said sign us up all thinking they are crazy? We were going to tear it up!!!! Not a one of us got through the first plate and felt sick!!!!! The Mexican was great the next day.

Big Bear was a dust pit that weekend!!!!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
my biggest prob is I'm not leaving NC til tomorrow and everybody else packed out today. Jeremy broke his hand, Herndon, Garritt, Murphy, Joe Haley, Motomike, Andy Devault and on down the line all left out today. Doug, Brazwell and crew did as well.

ah yes.
the racing season has begun.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If ya'll ride lower dominion while you are at the Open this weekend, feel out that last table top before you hit it at speed, it has way more lip than it did in the past . If you hit it at speed on your race bike it will load your rear suspension and throw you over the bars if you aren't careful. I have the broken collar bone to prove it. Finish line jump looks awesome, sure wish I could hit it.
agreed. . . i got thrown funny the first time i hit it too. the lip isn't built wrong, it's just different from the previous 10 jumps on the trail so it caught me off guard. while you can stay low and still catch downside on the other jumps, the last one is built for boosting not squashing.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
agreed. . . i got thrown funny the first time i hit it too. the lip isn't built wrong, it's just different from the previous 10 jumps on the trail so it caught me off guard. while you can stay low and still catch downside on the other jumps, the last one is built for boosting not squashing.
Agreed. All the others, I can plow into and not really worry about it. That last one is eomething else. I hit it the first weekend up there and thought I was going to die; the back end just kicked up and almost lawn darted me into the ground.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, but it really sucked to be standing in line to go up for one last practice session and watching them cart her off. Then, riding up the lift and watching a guy that used to post here named Saboo (I think) get waxed on the double double. I don't like seeing helicopters.

I actually liked all of the Big Bear courses I raced (2002-2004). However, the jumps at the bottom in 2002 and 2003 were sketch.
Yeah, 02 was the year I was there.
I remember the locals saying, cool, the course is good this year.:twitch:
I was not there the year where everybody got jacked, but I remember everybody saying how dangerous the jumps were.
It was horrible enough reading about those tragedies here on RM,
much less being there and seeing it.
Vermont was always bad for seeing jacked up people on the way up the lift too. Hearing the words compound fracture right before you do a run is always interesting.