Quantcast

USA announces gravity team for worlds..

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In the gravity disciplines, newly crowned national champion Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and top-ranked rider in the National Mountain Bike series standings, Justin Havukainen (Castro Valley, Calif.), earned nominations to the elite men’s downhill squad. Tara Llanes (Los Alamitos, Calif.) and Jackie Harmony (Tucson, Ariz.) qualified for the elite women’s downhill team as national champion and series leader.

Daniel Hultgen (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Hank Cadle (Lake Forest, Calif.) grabbed automatic nominations in the junior men’s downhill category as the National Mountain Bike series leader and national champion respectively, while Christina Pinney (Concord, Calif.) earned the sole junior women’s downhill nomination as the national champion.

Reigning 4-cross world champions Brian Lopes (San Clemente, Calif.) and Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash.) will defend their titles from a year ago. Joining the owners of the rainbow jerseys are Chris Powell (San Diego, Calif.), Rich Houseman (Temecula, Calif.), and Eric Carter (Winchester, Calif.) on the men’s 4-cross squad and Llanes, Melissa Buhl (Chandler, Ariz.) and Jessica Vogt (Boulder, Colo.) on the women’s squad. Powell earned his nomination with a third-place finish at the UCI World Cup event in Brazil earlier this year, while Houseman qualified as the top American in the National Mountain Bike series standings and Carter qualified as the national champion.

Llanes qualified as the bronze medalist at the world championships in 2005, while Buhl was nominated based on her fourth-place effort in the UCI World Cup event in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada this summer. Vogt earned her slot as the highest-ranked American in the National Mountain Bike Series standings.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
How many slots are we allowed for each category? Yet again it doesn't seem like we are sending many people. I know more people are supposed to be added on...right? Like people who didn't auto-qualify.

Next weekend at Brian Head is going to be crazy with kids trying to qualify.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Justin will be stars and stripes, and the USA has elected to not send any DH coach's pics it seems. This was the complete official announcement, and included the coach's picks for XC.

HeyLady

Monkey
Apr 13, 2006
Concord, CA
The announcement says the people were "nominated" to go. Does that mean they have to be voted on? What about people who petition to go?

I thought they could take up to 7 riders & two alternates for each discipline.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
Transcend said:
Justin will be stars and stripes, and the USA has elected to not send any DH coach's pics it seems.
That is only a little strange. :confused: It just seems funny that we are sending two riders one of whom is only about 1/8th US citizen, and leaving behind so much talent, while Australia will be sending around ten riders to the worlds. The US needs to get its sh!t together.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I know Juzzo has US and AUS citizenship, but how does he race under both a US and a AUS license? I thought you had to pick one or the other?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
HeyLady said:
The announcement says the people were "nominated" to go. Does that mean they have to be voted on? What about people who petition to go?

I thought they could take up to 7 riders & two alternates for each discipline.
It doesn't have to be voted on, but they have to be able to go. They or their sponsors have to pay their way, USAC does not. Therefore, some cannot go due to $$$ or work.

They are allowed to take a ton of riders for each discipline, most countries (except host) usually elect not to.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
snowskilz said:
myklak, huh? she beat harmony.
Hum I'd put my money on Harmony. Myklak is fast but Jacky can get REALLY fast once in a while. At a world event she could do great!

Anyway, the selction is what it is: they get whoever has the most point regardless of who is the "fastest" on the internet.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i'm not even sure what the amount is for allowed spots for dh and mt cross but i'm sure it's more then they put on the team.
transcend you have any idea how many slots are open?

i never understand why they don't fill the list?
they don't pay for the riders travel, food or room, i see no reason not to complete a full list, how hard is it to go down the list of riders in order of results and ask them if they would have the money and time to go?.. Everyone is always asking why has american gravity had such a drop in international performance.....how bout not being allowed to represent your country even if you have the money and slots are still open?
here's any idea...why not fill the remainder of the list with all of our youngest riders that show a bit of potential so they can get exposed to international competition so we can start to lay some ground work for the future.
i know for a fact that there is a rider who has saved money and is willing to spend it for the chance to go race for america and would be a great representative for us, he's not a contender to win, but he could go over there and get some international experience and maybe some motivation to work harder to get to the next level.
i get pissed off about this every year,these guys need to pull thier heads out of thier ass so they can see whats going on.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I would like to nominate cole bangert and jason codding for the downhill team. And as always, my opinion should be regarded above all others.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
TheInedibleHulk said:
I would like to nominate cole bangert and jason codding for the downhill team. And as always, my opinion should be regarded above all others.
second that. but i think they can go is they have the greeen:sneaky: :D :sneaky: :D :sneaky: :D :sneaky: :D :sneaky: :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Eric, i believe it is either 5 or 7 places, + 2 non travelling backups?

I agree, it is insane not to fill the spots and get some guys experience, especially when the feds aren't paying. Canada does the same thing, and it is ridiculous.

What day you flying in? Trying to fins someone to share a ride with from the airport.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Transcend said:

I agree, it is insane not to fill the spots and get some guys experience, especially when the feds aren't paying. Canada does the same thing, and it is ridiculous.

What day you flying in? Trying to fins someone to share a ride with from the airport.
not sure , don't have tickets or team's plans yet, when i find out from my tm i'll see if we can fit ya in the trunk.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
DylanDeanDesign said:
It was explained by a NORBA official at the Nat. Champs this past weekend.....

"I don't know 'dick' about downhill"
well if you look at the coach's choice part...we have zero for gravity. Cody Warren is not on the team nor is Melissa Buhl last years national champs, and what about Kathy Pruitt. I was stoked to see Llanes took the win, but i'm sure she won't be doing the dh over there.
so your quote doesn't surprise me.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i also just realized JD isn't on the junior dh team...WOW! i thought he was an automatic for his dh win at fontucky? man there has to be more riders to be announced?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Transcend said:

It's on the UCI website each countries allocations, what day do you fly in? I'm meeting a mate at the airport at lunchtime on the 21st so we might be able to squeeze in one other that needs a ride :)

There it is - http://www.uci.ch/imgarchive/MTB/World Championships/2006/NEWQuotasMTBWorldChampionships_2006.pdf 7 riders + reserves in the Dh

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
hey my girlfriend is on there for womens jr dh and she is wondering if she has to pay for it or does USAC?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
BC VAN said:
i also just realized JD isn't on the junior dh team...WOW! i thought he was an automatic for his dh win at fontucky? man there has to be more riders to be announced?
spoke to JD at Sonoma...he said Fontana wasn't a qualifier for worlds & he was disqualified from racing at the US Champs, so he has to petition for worlds. so same as the seniors...the top jr's have to petition for their spot..... how idiotic

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
DylanDeanDesign said:
spoke to JD at Sonoma...he said Fontana wasn't a qualifier for worlds & he was disqualified from racing at the US Champs, so he has to petition for worlds
haha yeah i went to chevys with him after sonoma and a few other guys and he said that he got DQed for swearing at some dude on the MTX course who was chasing him with a hose lol

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
The BCF(Britich Cycling Federation) do the same thing over here in England they get 7 places for junior and 7 for elite and take between 3-5 riders . I don't understand how our Federations work. Stupidly is the answer.

If a rider fits the criteria and has the money to get themselves there then they should be allowed to go - like EC said how are riders meant to gain experience if they don't get given it.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Bobodaclown said:
The BCF(Britich Cycling Federation) do the same thing over here in England they get 7 places for junior and 7 for elite and take between 3-5 riders . I don't understand how our Federations work. Stupidly is the answer.

If a rider fits the criteria and has the money to get themselves there then they should be allowed to go - like EC said how are riders meant to gain experience if they don't get given it.
Difference for the UK is that unlike the US team we are fully funded, but BCF cannot afford to pay for a full complement of riders to attend. I don't understand why in the US case, if they are not funding anyone to go, they don't just let a full complement of unfunded riders attend. I presume with the BCF they do not want to end up with a two tier squad, if I was in charge I would do it but I can see why they do not.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
DylanDeanDesign said:
It was explained by a NORBA official at the Nat. Champs this past weekend.....

"I don't know 'dick' about downhill"
Do you know who this person was and what capacity they were involved in?

-ska todd

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
BC VAN said:
i'm not even sure what the amount is for allowed spots for dh and mt cross but i'm sure it's more then they put on the team.
transcend you have any idea how many slots are open?

i never understand why they don't fill the list?
they don't pay for the riders travel, food or room, i see no reason not to complete a full list, how hard is it to go down the list of riders in order of results and ask them if they would have the money and time to go?.. Everyone is always asking why has american gravity had such a drop in international performance.....how bout not being allowed to represent your country even if you have the money and slots are still open?
here's any idea...why not fill the remainder of the list with all of our youngest riders that show a bit of potential so they can get exposed to international competition so we can start to lay some ground work for the future.
i know for a fact that there is a rider who has saved money and is willing to spend it for the chance to go race for america and would be a great representative for us, he's not a contender to win, but he could go over there and get some international experience and maybe some motivation to work harder to get to the next level.
i get pissed off about this every year,these guys need to pull thier heads out of thier ass so they can see whats going on.
i owe an apology to the guys at USA cycling, i actually e-mailed Matt the coach who makes the final decision asking about all this stuff and he says those are only the auto qualifiers and that more riders will be added to the team soon.

i still get mad when we don't have a full team , but i guess it's only riders who petition that get looked at?
sorry for the comment's in the first post.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
1. Automatic & Coaches’ Discretionary Nominations
1.1. Announcement of Nominations: Wednesday, July 19, 2006
1.2. Confirmation of intent to participate: Friday, July 21, 2006
2. Petition Discretionary Nominations
2.1. Deadline for submission of petitions: Wednesday, July 19, 2006

2.2. Announcement of Discretionary Nominations by Petition: Friday, July 21, 2006
2.3. Confirmation of intent to participate: Monday, July 24, 2006
2.4. Deadline for submission of (1,000.00) deposit: Friday, August 4, 2006
3. Final announcement of the Team: Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BC VAN said:
i owe an apology to the guys at USA cycling, i actually e-mailed Matt the coach who makes the final decision asking about all this stuff and he says those are only the auto qualifiers and that more riders will be added to the team soon.

i still get mad when we don't have a full team , but i guess it's only riders who petition that get looked at?
sorry for the comment's in the first post.
That's interesting, as the press release makes it seem otherwise. I think they probably shoulda held off on the "official" team announcement email...especially when it includes all of the coach's picks and such for XC?? Weird.

Anyways, as for a lift, I arrive at 5am on the 20th in Auckland. Any offers of lifts are greatly appreciated! As JDD said, I fit in a glove box, only my camera bag and humongoid oakley luggage do not. :D

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
foesjunky said:
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
1. Automatic & Coaches’ Discretionary Nominations
1.1. Announcement of Nominations: Wednesday, July 19, 2006
1.2. Confirmation of intent to participate: Friday, July 21, 2006
2. Petition Discretionary Nominations
2.1. Deadline for submission of petitions: Wednesday, July 19, 2006

2.2. Announcement of Discretionary Nominations by Petition: Friday, July 21, 2006
2.3. Confirmation of intent to participate: Monday, July 24, 2006
2.4. Deadline for submission of (1,000.00) deposit: Friday, August 4, 2006
3. Final announcement of the Team: Wednesday, July 26, 2006
even harder rofles. "you didnt make the team, if you would like to petition for a spot, you will have to do it by yesterday."

dondon

Monkey
Usa has 7 slots they are allowed to send for Dh
7 for Jnr men, 7 for women.
Xc also get 7 for men and women and U23 and Jnr.

Its funny though how they take series leader into consideration when you are allowed to drop 2 races in the series. Alot of people have already skipped two races because of this rule, but will end up placed high in the series when the drops are taken into consideration.

Yeah and i hope all those that thought they would get automatic selection knew about the petition cut off date.

Justin has been racing UCI events on his Aussie racing licence so i dont believe he is eligable for the US team.

Bu the Aussies have a tough time try picking 7 riders out of the following list.
Sam Hill, Bryn Atkinson,Mick Hannah, Chis Kovarik,Jared Rando, Jusso, Amiel Cavilier, Graves and Rennie.