Quantcast

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
After we bought the car I saw that the reverse lights did not work, the check engine light came on. The wheels rubbed on the control arms. The spare tire couldn't be removed because of a bad lug nut. They fixed all of these problems and I had them install wheel spacers because I couldn't get the lugs off the wheels. We payed for all these repairs. It came out to be around $1200 for all of it. We did not sign an addendum letter.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Carfax is one thing, but if I were to buy a used vehicle, especially in an area of the country with salty roads in the winter, I would have it independently inspected before I gave the dealership a dime. Carfax isn't going to tell you if there is rust.

Good luck with this.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Carfax is one thing, but if I were to buy a used vehicle, especially in an area of the country with salty roads in the winter, I would have it independently inspected before I gave the dealership a dime. Carfax isn't going to tell you if there is rust.

Good luck with this.
They might have used Carfux instead. But this situation he's in does remind you to not take the dealers word on the condition of vehicles. Get a flashlight, overalls and slide under the used car to check it out for yourself, or take it to your own mechanic.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Good luck with this.
Carfax is worthless crap.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
if it was actually cracked and you put a additional 13k miles on it, then thats impressive
True. Remember, I'm using a WA law that says I can contact the previous owner and going by their word. Was it welded in an attempt to fix? Was it actually cracked? Was it just passed on from dealer to dealer? No, I don't have specific answers (and if I did, it was about 18 years ago when this happened to me, so my memory is too many tequila shots shot).

Oh, but I did have fun picketing in front of the dealer that football season........

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The dealer said the frame is shot. They want $5600 to repair it. That not gonna happen so now we are talking to them about returning the vehicle.
5600? Holy ****, it's a ton of labor, and clearly the frame IS shot, but there are TONS of good used frames out there.

if it was actually cracked and you put a additional 13k miles on it, then thats impressive
What's more impressive is that the frame rotting on 97-2005 TJ's in that location is somewhat common, especially on vehicles that have never been washed or cared for, which just by the picture of that rusty ass frame I could say this jeep probably was pretty abused and neglected, further the fact that the buyer didn't notice it is impressive as hell, I mean, holy wha, who doesn't see a frame that rusty and climb under the jeep to check it out?

After we bought the car I saw that the reverse lights did not work, the check engine light came on. The wheels rubbed on the control arms. The spare tire couldn't be removed because of a bad lug nut. They fixed all of these problems and I had them install wheel spacers because I couldn't get the lugs off the wheels. We payed for all these repairs. It came out to be around $1200 for all of it. We did not sign an addendum letter.
Did the tires rub the control arms because they are taller than stock but mounted on stock rims? not uncommon at all, and typically a better option than mounting wheel spacers and adding additional stress to your wheel bearings, ball joints and other components is to adjust the steering stops.

let me guess, your first jeep?

I feel bad for you, but dude, you don't buy a 10 year old jeep, and expect a cupcake, they get used, abused and most if not all of them are uncared for.

They are either purchased by someone like me who abuses the **** out of them off road, or by some teenie boppers parents and that teeny boppers friends off road it at least a few times, and it never gets all the mud properly cleaned out of it, or they are owned by meth heads.

1. I can't believe a DEALER didn't know about a fairly common issue.
2. I can't believe you didn't notice a fairly common issue.
3. I think the dealer should return your money.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Tell me about the repairs that were done post purchase? Did you pay for them? Did the dealer have you sign an addendum saying that them fixing those issues (at no cost) did not change the status of your As-Is purchase?

If not you may be in luck.
This is not looking good. 1 last thing, have they properly transferred or gotten you a new license plate or by chance are you still driving around on a temporary tag?

If not then I have no good news for you. You bought a car "As Is" you drove it 600 miles and now you have an issue that may or may not have been there when you purchased the vehicle.

If this is a "Franchised" dealer, IE GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota etc you MAY have a chance of getting them to fix it IF you play your cards correctly. I would suggest a very thoughtful yet progressive squeeky wheel approach. Ask nicely first (which it appears you have done). Lay your claim out there to the General Manager or owner if you can. If that doesnt work start spouting off loudly, but beware. I have seen cases where if you make FALSE claims they will come after you. The fact is you do not know if that damage was there when you bought the vehicle or not, because you were lazy bought a car AS IS and didnt really check it over all that well. That crack could have happened during that 600 miles of use.

Good luck.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you endup screwed on this, then I have two more things to add..
1, dont go paying 5600 dollars for the repair.... sorry but its just no0t worth it..... Go to a fab shop outside of the dealershiphave it repaired
2, Yes there are alot of used frames out there that are in good shape, the cost to replace with a used frame isnt much cheaper than just getting a new frame, remember youll have to pay to get the old frame out as well.