Quantcast

Useless Fact Thread

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Back on the fly trap subject,

Each trap can close only half a dozen times over the course of its lifetime. So all of you people who messed with them in science class significantly reduced its lifespan.

I thought that was pretty interesting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All the bacteria living inside you would fill a half-gallon jug; there are 10 times more bacterial cells in your body than human cells.

The infestation begins at birth: Babies ingest mouthfuls of bacteria during birthing and pick up plenty more from their mother's skin and milk—during breast-feeding, the mammary glands become colonized with bacteria.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you put all the insects in the world on one side of a scale, and the rest of the living creatures (mammals, fish, etc) on the other side, the insects would weight much more.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not.

Dirty English.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
TNT stands for trinirotoluene.

Eucalyptus forests are amongst the most dangerous forests because of the propensity of eucalyptus trees to drop large limbs.

From a cognitive neuroscience perspective, "multi-tasking" is really switching between two or more tasks. And it's not efficient.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
a typical plasma tv's half life is around 60k hours

that equates to 6.8 years if you watch tv 24 hours a day.....and typical US household watch b/w 4-6 hours a day

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

i had heard this before, but never realized how crazy it is. so when we do the math, that means that there are people named Mohammed who don't even know it! :biggrin:

i think i feel a custom title coming on.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Influenza got it's name from the fact that people believed the disease was because of the evil 'influence' of stars.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Listerine mouthwash was named after Joseph Lister, a pioneer of surgical antiseptic technique.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Leonardo DaVinci's correct name is Leonardo. Da vinci means " from Venice ", so it is not his real last name. Back then people identified each other by where they lived; i.e., Leo from Venice.

This was a pet peeve of my Art History professor.