Quantcast

Using Mx Helmet

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Is there really much difference between mb full face helmets and motocross full face helmets besides weight?

Its just i shall be getting a motocross bike soon and will need a helmet for that and i also need one for mb so i was thinking save some money and get an mx one and use it for both. What do you guys think? good or bad idea.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
For lower speed crashes, a mtb helmet is better and for higher speed crashes a MX one would be better. Someone will proably post the link to a thread with all that info.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Ok thanks, yeh i did search for topics on it, but i kinda just wanted to know whether it would be a good idea to save the money and buy an mx instead of buying 2 helmets.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
For lower speed crashes, a mtb helmet is better
dude u smoking something. an mx helmet is better for all crashes. i am considering getting a dot approved helmet for dh riding. a few of my buddies have been getting head injuries and i want to save whatever smart is left in my brain. mx is heavier.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
dude u smoking something. an mx helmet is better for all crashes. i am considering getting a dot approved helmet for dh riding. a few of my buddies have been getting head injuries and i want to save whatever smart is left in my brain. mx is heavier.
Thank you.

How much heavier? is it really noticeable?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
uh..no. :lighten:
MX helmets are stiffer and won't absorb much energy in a low speed hit.

Look at this thread. Look at Bikenweed's post.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Listen to people who actually wear a MX helmet. I have a dirtbike and just wear that for both. I think a majority of the MTB specific helmets fit like crap and aren't very comfortable. I don't know what people complain about. I have ridden in both types and will never again by a MTB specific helmet. My MX helmets have protected the noggin enough times to make me a believer.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
What speed is considered high speed, and what speed is considered low speed?

For example:
High speed impact:45 mph direct impact
Low speed impact:25 mph direct impact

I'm in the market for a new DH helmet too...

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Listen to people who actually wear a MX helmet. I have a dirtbike and just wear that for both. I think a majority of the MTB specific helmets fit like crap and aren't very comfortable. I don't know what people complain about. I have ridden in both types and will never again by a MTB specific helmet. My MX helmets have protected the noggin enough times to make me a believer.
Ok thank you kazlx.

I think i will buy an mx one and wear it for both, seems pointless buying 2 helmets when i can buy 1 and use it for both.

Thanks again for all the help.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i wear a dot rated helmet for racing and other high speed riding. i own a fly venom and have been very happy with it. the weight is not a huge factor (if it is then you need the neck work out anyway) the only thing I really miss is the venting of a mtb helmet and even that is not too bad.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Wow. It only took 12 posts from complete strangers to convince you what is best for your own head. Must not be that precious of an item to ya.

Do some research, use the search option, and decide for yourself what is best for you.

Keep in mind, if your using a helmet for two sports you are using it twice as much, which in turn means you'll just need to replace it twice as fast. Get the appropriate helmet for each activity and then if you bust one up, you'll still have another helmet and another sport to occupy your time while you get a new lid.

Or be a cheap skate and get one.

Or jump off a bridge because 12 strangers tell you to.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
id actually already decided what i thought i wanted, but i started this topic mainly so i could find out other people opinions on my idea of using an mx helmet for mb and mx, so im not just deciding after 12 posts, im not that stupid.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
id actually already decided what i thought i wanted, but i started this topic mainly so i could find out other people opinions on my idea of using an mx helmet for mb and mx, so im not just deciding after 12 posts, im not that stupid.
Although not smart enough to use the search feature.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
What speed is considered high speed, and what speed is considered low speed?

For example:
High speed impact:45 mph direct impact
Low speed impact:25 mph direct impact

I'm in the market for a new DH helmet too...
I think you touched on the problem. I don't know how much data is actually avaliable on DH crashes. When investigating a crash, they need to evaluate if the person would have survived even if their head was good. In other words, it doesn't do any good to protect the head for a 200mph impact if the body is going to be damaged so badly that there is no chance of surviving. So someone needs to determine a speed to test at. Even the Snell is pretty low speed at 17.33 mph (150 Joules of energy with a 5kg head). That's a drop from just over 10 feet.

Then you would need to look at the background of the impact. AKA the object hit.

On a side note, here is a link for an inexpensive MX helmet for those of you that need a new helmet and can not afford to buy one. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Outlet&catId=101&productId=prod293300&leafCatId=10103&mmyId=&ysmtac=EMAIL&ysmchn=INH&ysmcpn=2007Closeout&ysmtrm=Offroad.Brand.20070711

I don't know anything about them.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
i cant understand why your being like that for? I simply asked a question about was the main difference between mx and mb helmets the weight and was it a good idea to use an mx for both. Id had searched around and was simply looking for some answers to my question.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
i cant understand why your being like that for? I simply asked a question about was the main difference between mx and mb helmets the weight and was it a good idea to use an mx for both. Id had searched around and was simply looking for some answers to my question.
If you had searched, you would have found about 15 threads over the last couple years that directly debate the pros and cons of using an MX helmet for mountain biking, and provide detailed info about helmet weights. Some of these threads are pages long and are full of the information you'r looking for. Like I said, do a simple search and all your questions will be answered. Last time I checked this wasn't the "downhill cliffnotes" forum.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I use a motocross helmet for Downhill. A Shoei VFXR, to many letters, i forgot. But the Travis Pastrana edition, you know. Anyways, yeah it is alittle heavier the DH helmets, but its got more padding & by the feel and the way its made, I feel alot safer in it & have taken some nasty wacks and come out okay. I'm sticking with an MX helmet, i'll take the extra weight and maybe alittle lesss ventilation depending on the helmet, but I care more about my head.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
lol ok im sorry, i will search properly next time.

i just find some of the topics are pages and pages and only like one reply might be useful. But thanks anyway i will search properly next time :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
lol ok im sorry, i will search properly next time.

i just find some of the topics are pages and pages and only like one reply might be useful. But thanks anyway i will search properly next time :)
No worries. It's just this same questions is asked every few weeks and it's always turns into a big debate about why mx helmets are good or bad for MTBing. Most of the time the same info is put out there and all the same points are made. Most people don't check out the vast amount of data that is already here, so the whole cycle starts over.

But more importantly, what kind of dirt bike are you getting?:cheers:

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Yeh i can imagine. Dont worry i have learnt my lesson :biggrin:

Well i was looking at the Kawasaki Kx125, seems like a decent enough bike, do you ride? what bike you got? :cheers:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Yeh i can imagine. Dont worry i have learnt my lesson :biggrin:

Well i was looking at the Kawasaki Kx125, seems like a decent enough bike, do you ride? what bike you got? :cheers:
I have a Honda CRF 250x. It's been pretty heavily modded for performance, and I'm hoping soon to get a new exhaust and cam so it'll really fly.

My MTBs are a Foes FXR trail bike and a Foes XCT-4 cross country bike. I used to race Foes Mono's for DH, but retired from racing in '04.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
I have a Honda CRF 250x. It's been pretty heavily modded for performance, and I'm hoping soon to get a new exhaust and cam so it'll really fly.

My MTBs are a Foes FXR trail bike and a Foes XCT-4 cross country bike. I used to race Foes Mono's for DH, but retired from racing in '04.
Cool, the Honda's are nice bikes. I was looking at there newer 150 looks sweet, not sure if it would be to small for me though. Not sure what size im going to need.

Damn thoose mtb's you got are sweet!

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007

I have a CRF250X myself. But i need cash for Downhill racing, do you know anyone who is interested in one? haha.:cheers:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Cool, the Honda's are nice bikes. I was looking at there newer 150 looks sweet, not sure if it would be to small for me though. Not sure what size im going to need.

Damn thoose mtb's you got are sweet!
The 150r is a sweet ride. The 150f wouldn't have enough power and is a heavy mofo. I'm 5'4" and the 150 is just a bit too cramped for trail or desert as far as size goes, way too small when it comes to power, but it would rock on the track. I have to keep up with the boys on 450's and 525's in the desert so I have to have more grunt than the 150 can give me, but people love them for MX. I've heard their really zippy, a tiny bike with big bike quality.

How tall are you? That will make a bit of a difference on what bike to get. I had to sink $700 into custom suspension work the day I rolled my 250 of the floor to get it to fit right. Also what kind of riding will you be doing primarily? I'm a trail/desert girl myself. If your spending all your time at the track a kx 125 sounds like a good start, if your going to be splitting your time, there are other options that would suit you better.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
The 150r is a sweet ride. The 150f wouldn't have enough power and is a heavy mofo. I'm 5'4" and the 150 is just a bit too cramped for trail or desert as far as size goes, way too small when it comes to power, but it would rock on the track. I have to keep up with the boys on 450's and 525's in the desert so I have to have more grunt than the 150 can give me, but people love them for MX. I've heard their really zippy, a tiny bike with big bike quality.

How tall are you? That will make a bit of a difference on what bike to get. I had to sink $700 into custom suspension work the day I rolled my 250 of the floor to get it to fit right. Also what kind of riding will you be doing primarily? I'm a trail/desert girl myself. If your spending all your time at the track a kx 125 sounds like a good start, if your going to be splitting your time, there are other options that would suit you better.
Im 5ft 9, and im not sure to be honest, i was thinking like track and trial maybe, few jumps here and there. Thats my only worry is fitting the bike, obviously i don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a bike at this stage but i reckon now size wise id probably have to be looking at a 250 then because i just think the 125 might be to small, or do they do them in different sizes? Probably best to go to a shop and look at the sizes.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Wow. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Sometimes it really is hard to find what you are looking for via a search.

Anyway, as it has been stated, the MX helmets are going to be made for higher speed impacts. These, of course, are the one you are trying to protect yourself from. So....that leads us to one conclusion. Before you buy either helmet, try to get a peek at an MTB full-face, and an MX full-face. The MTB ones look like a total joke. They are like a basic XC lid with some extra plastic crap down near your cheek bones. Said crap is barely even shock absorbing. In most cases it appears to only be padding.

I am going to take this moment to point you to this guy. --> http://www.rockgardn.com/items/helmets/blacklite-detail.htm?menu=helmets
After much researching I felt that the RG helmet met the criteria I was searching for.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Wow. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Sometimes it really is hard to find what you are looking for via a search.
On this particular topic, if you can read basic english you will find what your looking for as it has been debated thouroughly and regularly.

And Cheerios taste like cardboard. Pissing in them really wouldn't do any damage, might make them better even.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Keep in mind, if your using a helmet for two sports you are using it twice as much, which in turn means you'll just need to replace it twice as fast. Get the appropriate helmet for each activity and then if you bust one up, you'll still have another helmet and another sport to occupy your time while you get a new lid.
QUOTE]

that is totally inaccurate.

And to answer the poster, I have always used mx helmets since I mx as well. They arent too heavy or too hot for me, but some say they make their head too hot...

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Im 5ft 9,
i reckon now size wise id probably have to be looking at a 250 then because i just think the 125 might be to small, or do they do them in different sizes? Probably best to go to a shop and look at the sizes.

Depends on what type of bike, if you are talking motocross, then a 125 2stroke will be as big (if not taller seat height) than a 250. A 125 fourstroke is going to be more of a beginner bike/lower seat height, lesser suspension. If you are looking for a full on mx bike then it is best to compare 125/250 2strokes and 250 fourstrokes. I don't mention 450s because they are basically too fast for almost anyone so why bother. I have friends who are pros who say their 450 is too fast and might go back to 250s for the heck of it. Anyhow, good luck searching...new bike time is always fun.

Ashley123

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
Depends on what type of bike, if you are talking motocross, then a 125 2stroke will be as big (if not taller seat height) than a 250. A 125 fourstroke is going to be more of a beginner bike/lower seat height, lesser suspension. If you are looking for a full on mx bike then it is best to compare 125/250 2strokes and 250 fourstrokes. I don't mention 450s because they are basically too fast for almost anyone so why bother. I have friends who are pros who say their 450 is too fast and might go back to 250s for the heck of it. Anyhow, good luck searching...new bike time is always fun.
Ok thanks, i think my best bet will be to pop on down to the shop and have a look around at sizes, i originally talked about a 125 because cheaper and sensible for a first bike, but obviously its guna need to fit too.id rather by second hand at the moment because new can really be expensive, so i'll just have to ask them if i can sit on them lol.

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
get an MX helmet, before you buy put it on and shake your head left, then right, If it moves alot get a smaller helmet,or put the helmet on and try to slide your hand in the side between your cheek and the padding, If the helmet is the right size it shouldnt be to easy to slide your hand in.