Quantcast

vaccinations : part 2 : children -and- adults

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
so we had a consultation today with our pediatrician and said some interesting things...

Kids getting mild-to-moderately sick from vaccinations is from the large number of proteins in vaccinations. When the Polio vaccination came out 50 whatever years ago, it had about 45 proteins in it since they weren't sure which ones did what. Nowadays, it's so refined, that you'll get less proteins in ALL vacations over the years combined.

Doc explained that seperating vaccinations used to be a good idea since you overwhelmed the system, but now, there's so few proteins used since they have a better idea of what they do.

Should we seperate vaccinations to reduce the risk of illness?, I asked.

He advised... NO!

While the amounts of toxic metals in perservatives is incredibly low these days, if you seperate an injection that contains three vaccinations into three seperate shots, you'll get THREE times the perservatives! Seems obvious, but I hadn't thought about it, so for you newer/upcoming parents, maybe DON'T seperate them? Ask you doc.

Our doc said it's not a big deal either way, but if we're concerned enough to consider seperating, then the right answer (for us) is not to.

Also, Whooping Cough (Pertusis (sp?)) is still the most active virus in Colorado.

Wanna know how it's spread?

By adults!

Adults who haven't had a booster shot in years. Apparently, you've got enough in you to protect you, BUT not enough to prevent you from being a carrier. So, our doc advised us to get updated the next time we see our own doctors.

just food for thought.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
The measles and rubella is being spread in Milwaukee by adults. Children under 12 months can't receive the MMR so they are at an extremely high risk of catching from adults.

I am working on a community based immunization awareness project right now focusing on 0-3, but we are marketing hard core to adults as well. If you were born after the year 1952, have children or work with children, or work in health care of some sort, you should get a measles booster in this area but most people don't know what.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Good! I knew NONE of this stuff before.

(and none of my doctors over the years even hinted at any of it either)
Nobody knows any of this stuff. Very few people know that you can get free shots three days a week at the health departmetns around here. Even women who use WIC don't know that WIC offices offer immunizations. Public health issues are amusing. They are a HUGE deal within the public health sector but getting the word out to actual people is almost an afterthough.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We have have our daughter up to date on all shots. I think we waited a little while to have one of the herpes vaccinations or something done but other than that we just did what the Dr. recommended.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
That's just so odd.

Please don't let me get into the disconnect between doctors/academia and people. We do more health department marketing than the health department does. I am working with their community preparedness and education coordinator right now and they don't even have immunization marketing materials.

WE ARE HAVING A MEASELS OUTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been making our own coloring book pages and creating our own information specific to the measles issue because the health department has ONE brochure about immunizations.

Time after time the contributing factor to best practices in public health is a successful marketing strategy but most of the US has a pretty backward view of public health issues and the importance of marketing is lost on most people in public health.

Ever talked to an epidemiologist?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Please don't let me get into the disconnect between doctors/academia and people. We do more health department marketing than the health department does. I am working with their community preparedness and education coordinator right now and they don't even have immunization marketing materials.

WE ARE HAVING A MEASELS OUTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been making our own coloring book pages and creating our own information specific to the measles issue because the health department has ONE brochure about immunizations.

Time after time the contributing factor to best practices in public health is a successful marketing strategy but most of the US has a pretty backward view of public health issues and the importance of marketing is lost on most people in public health.

Ever talked to an epidemiologist?

Sounds like you need to fire some more people to me.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Sounds like you need to fire some more people to me.
I do not work for the Health Dpeartment so I can't fire anyone over there. My goal in life is to be the most sucessful public health crusader on the planet, without the health department's help.

As for my team, after setting some solid and attainable expectations and goals (i.e. the next time you are late or miss work for any unexcused reason you will be asked to leave the project), things have shaped up pretty nicely around the office. This should last for about a month. SteveW was right, I'll never really get to fire anyone.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I do not work for the Health Dpeartment so I can't fire anyone over there. My goal in life is to be the most sucessful public health crusader on the planet, without the health department's help.

As for my team, after setting some solid and attainable expectations and goals (i.e. the next time you are late or miss work for any unexcused reason you will be asked to leave the project), things have shaped up pretty nicely around the office. This should last for about a month. SteveW was right, I'll never really get to fire anyone.
So what do you think about people's concerns about Autism being connected to vaccinations.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So what do you think about people's concerns about Autism being connected to vaccinations.
I know you asked Laura, but I've been reading about it and it is anecdotal. Mercury poisoning was such a concern, that they removed it 5-6 years ago. They've also reduced the content of all metals, like aluminum. Thing is, we need iron, zinc and other metals and we're exposed to metals all the time, so my inexpert opinion is that the scare is way overblown.

Also, the most "conclusive" "study" done showed that the highest percentage of Autism cases related to viruses was pregnant moms who haven't had booster shots in their adult years who came in contact with people who are sick, specifically, rubella. The babies were born sick and subsequently showed signs of autism.

Lastly, Autism is still mostly unknown and I'll go ahead and speculate that a very high fever in children can damage the brain and cause a form of Autism. This links to vaccinations in the sense that vaccinations can make a child temporarily ill and an ignored fever can cause brain damage.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We more or less tell them this.

•The cause of autism is not known. Because signs of autism may appear at around the same time children receive the MMR vaccine (12 months), some parents may worry that the vaccine causes autism. Scientific studies have found no relationship between MMR vaccine and autism.

We have a much more in depth answer to this question but the population we are working in currently don't ever ask much more than this.

We aren't doctors and encourage people actively to talk with their doctor or health care provider about any other questions they might have since they have to go in anyway to get the shots. Most of staff has been through trainnig with the health dept on how to address concerns about autism too.

There are plenty of people who don't believe in immunizations and don't trust the safety of them no matter what you say, which is why it's so important for people who don't have any issues with them to get up to date and stay that way.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks you two!

I wasn't scared off just curious because a friend brought it up to be yesterday because he's not getting his son vaccinated.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We talked to my wife's best friend who works with autistic children and is a mother herself. She said most of the kids she deals with were either not vaccinated when their signs of autism showed or with the ones that were vaccinated they could find no direct correlation.

Opie, good point about the collective aspect of the vaccine preservatives if they are spaced out, didn't think about that.

Yes, we need certain minerals but mercury, aluminium, cadmium, lead etc are NOT the ones we want. These toxic metals are cumulative and there is no way for the body to eliminate them.

My kid will get plenty of toxic substances throughout life. Air, water and food are all polluted to one degree or another, let alone toys, vaccines, etc. It's all about minimizing the toxicit where ever possible.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks you two!

I wasn't scared off just curious because a friend brought it up to be yesterday because he's not getting his son vaccinated.
Is he making that decision from media reports or cuz he's done a lot of googling and talked to his doctor?

Also, please tell your friend that too many parents are making that decision to the point where herd immunity has gone out the window, that way too many adults themselves are carriers, and here's the scary part that I learned today...

Many of these viruses (eg. Whooping Cough) can be treated in the hospital. The doctors CAN make the virus go away COMPLETELY. However, the virus and treatment start beating up the brain so badly, so quickly, that it's obvious that it's not the same child leaving the hospital as before the virus hit.

If the treatment hasn't begun by day three or four -- and our doctor told us that too many treatments don't begin until about a week after the first sign -- that there's a near 100% chance that the child will suffer some level of retardation.

Laura's area has a Measels outbreak. We've got a Whooping Cough problem. And our doctor told us, until we get our son vaccinated, not to go to any international airport.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If the treatment hasn't begun by day three or four -- and our doctor told us that too many treatments don't begin until about a week after the first sign -- that there's a near 100% chance that the child will suffer some level of retardation.
Wouldn't that just be a hoot?

"We didn't want our kid to get autism from vaccines."

"Then what's wrong with him?"

"Retardation from whooping cough..."

:rofl: :clapping:

:plthumbsdown:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Slap your friend upside the head and talk some sense into him. A baby dying from whooping cough in 2008 would be fvcking pathetic.
Do what you want with you and yours and leave me and mine alone, I say. This issue is becoming just like abortion for me. Neither option is more healthy for the baby (aborting or leaving unvaccinated), but it's still the parents choice. If it doesn't affect your kid because he's vaccinated, then its not your business. :biggrin:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do what you want with you and yours and leave me and mine alone, I say. This issue is becoming just like abortion for me.
I'm just posting info for people to consider, not trying to be annoying.

Neither option is more healthy for the baby...
Just technically, not true... it's a fact that these viruses can kill you, it's not a fact that the vaccines can harm you. YES, more studies are needed. Just sayin'.

If it doesn't affect your kid because he's vaccinated, then its not your business. :biggrin:
I'm sorry, but you're flat out wrong here. Pregnant women are susecptible to these viruses and they can damage a fetus.

And children aren't full yvaccinated, even with an aggressive recommended schedule, until they're about two years old. Most kids won't be FULLY vaccainated until about five years old based on the standard schedule.

Your decision does affect other children.

Colorado has an estimated 7% of all children unvaccinated and there is zero discussion on getting adults their booster shots. Whooping Cough has become a problem again.

I know this annoys you, but... Your decision does affect other children.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If it doesn't affect your kid because he's vaccinated, then its not your business. :biggrin:
Not vaccinating your kid and having them get a terminal illness is like not putting a helmet on them and having them fall off a bike and crack their head open.

Not my business, but it still makes me hate the fvck out of stupid people.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm just posting info for people to consider, not trying to be annoying.

Just technically, not true... it's a fact that these viruses can kill you, it's not a fact that the vaccines can harm you. YES, more studies are needed. Just sayin'.

I'm sorry, but you're flat out wrong here. Pregnant women are susecptible to these viruses and they can damage a fetus.

And children aren't full yvaccinated, even with an aggressive recommended schedule, until they're about two years old. Most kids won't be FULLY vaccainated until about five years old based on the standard schedule.

Your decision does affect other children.

Colorado has an estimated 7% of all children unvaccinated and there is zero discussion on getting adults their booster shots. Whooping Cough has become a problem again.

I know this annoys you, but... Your decision does affect other children.
Only the children of others who choose to not vaccinate, and the remote chance of giving it to a fetus? Not enough of a percentage to warrant further infringement of peoples' rights to do what they want with their bodies. Sorry.

All that said, I'll definitely vaccinate my kids.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Only the children of others who choose to not vaccinate...
You clearly misunderstood...

MOST children are not FULLY vaccinated until FIVE years old. Until then, they're at risk...

Measels out break in NY

...In the current outbreak, 13 patients were under a year old and therefore too young to have been vaccinated...

link
Published: May 2, 2008... that's like, oh, three weeks ago, not the middle ages.

Sorry to distress you, but individual's decision on this subject does affect others. That is a fact, can't be disputed.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You clearly misunderstood...

MOST children are not FULLY vaccinated until FIVE years old. Until then, they're at risk...

Published: May 2, 2008... that's like, oh, three weeks ago, not the middle ages.

Sorry to distress you, but individual's decision on this subject does affect others. That is a fact, can't be disputed.
Who is distressed? All Im saying is its not a big enough problem to warrant further government infringement on peoples' lives. If circumstances change, as in, a massive die off of kids, maybe I'd reconsider, but as things are it's not a problem and I don't want the gov't any more involved in my or my kids' life than absolutely necessary.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Who is distressed? All Im saying is its not a big enough problem to warrant further government infringement on peoples' lives. If circumstances change, as in, a massive die off of kids, maybe I'd reconsider, but as things are it's not a problem and I don't want the gov't any more involved in my or my kids' life than absolutely necessary.
umm, I don't think anyone here advocated government mandated vaccinations.

But please don't spread the falsehood that this decision only affects that individual family.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
umm, I don't think anyone here advocated government mandated vaccinations.

But please don't spread the falsehood that this decision only affects that individual family.
Im going to spread it to everyone i meet just to annoy you because these goddam mother hen posts are annoying as all hell. :biggrin: