Quantcast

Val Di Sole World Cup - Live Thread

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
despite the pain you're going through to get us those awesome sweet pics, it's totally worth it! thanks for the wicked shots. once again!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Chris Kovarik:
Anyone running FLAT BARS in downhill is going no where except back to squidville were you born! Or for the next lap on the xc trail? Its a fact, punch yourself in the face and wake up, turn the heavy metal up untill your eyes bleed and ears explode. .. . . .!
Beware trendy RM guyz Chris is gonna come to your house and beat you to death with your own flat bars!

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
from FB
Quote:
Chris Kovarik:
Anyone running FLAT BARS in downhill is going no where except back to squidville were you born! Or for the next lap on the xc trail? Its a fact, punch yourself in the face and wake up, turn the heavy metal up untill your eyes bleed and ears explode. .. . . .![/QUOTE]

Truer words never spoken! Flat bars make zero sense!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
from FB
Quote:
Chris Kovarik:
Anyone running FLAT BARS in downhill is going no where except back to squidville were you born! Or for the next lap on the xc trail? Its a fact, punch yourself in the face and wake up, turn the heavy metal up untill your eyes bleed and ears explode. .. . . .!

Truer words never spoken! Flat bars make zero sense![/QUOTE]

Don't tell HB, he has reasoning on flat bar usage.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
also, looks like he's running both a taco and a bashguard. must be some big rocks out there looking to hook your chainrings...

oh, and a coil sprung shock too.
Despite the claims of the Sram techs at Sea Otter, I've not seen a single racer on the Vivid Air at a WC round this year.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
http://dirt.mpora.com/uncategorized/rob-warner-val-di-sole-helmet-cam.html

rob warner shows what riding a world cup track is like for us mortals, 5 years since he last raced a world cup and in his own words he's past his best. Watching the helmet cam footage of him wheezing his way down the track is pretty funny though
No doubt. There were times I laughed and then there were times I was wondering if he was just going to collapse! Peaty's reaction @ the finish is priceless!!!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
4x is over. Didn't catch the race, but the main was, in final order,(1) Rinderknecht, (2) Slavik, (3) Prokop, (4) Graves.

Looks like Graves has clinched the overall though

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Anyone got a link to the current junior mens/women's world cup standings? I fecking hate the UCI site!!
http://62.50.72.82/ftpuci/ftppoelman/ftptouci/MTB/2010/36892_RiderRanking_DHI_ME.pdf

There is no overall tables with the juniors. Not enough of them to make a table. Troy Brosnan leads out Blockhead Brannigan by 19 points, but seen as Troy hasn't qualified for tomorrow then blockhead should be back in the lead if he has a steady run.

Both of those guys are rippers, watch out for Jed Rooney too, qualified in 60th I think, he goes pretty good too.

Not a huge depth in the junior field these last few years. And no one anywhere near as fast as Sam Hill was when he was junior, Sam was pulling top 10's in '02 and podiums in '03 not to mention his barnstormer at Lugano worlds '03 where he had 4th fastest time of the day with a huge over the bars crash!

Not many people have mentioned it but such a shame Sam isn't here this weeked and last, as he really would have added some major drama and hopefully would have but some major seconds into the field. Also a bummer Cam Cole has flown home. The field is thining out

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Talking about Schusler

Here he is looking shocked that Graves actually has somebody close enough to challenge him!

© V. Lukas

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Im not convinced about Schusler either, it just seems like he has the support and has gotten the chance to ride on a factory setup and not made the most of it. Sure, a rider has crashes and mechanicals but to do it in every qualifying run at the WC shows that hes lacking something or that his head isnt right...

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
What is Joey Schusler doing at a World Cup race team?

183th and didnt qualifying again...

There are several other faster guys that dont have a suport
I wish I could've traveled the world racing my bike on somebody else's tab when I was 20... :rolleyes:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Still no news on TB's non qualifying? The lad tends to be super consistent so I'm surprised that there is no story....

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I wish I could've traveled the world racing my bike on somebody else's tab when I was 20... :rolleyes:
well if you had earned it racing domestically at 19 then maybe you would have had a shot :rolleyes:

comments from the peanut gallery here are funny... you have no idea how hard it is to do well in world cups. the tracks, the competition, the pressure, etc

I have managed to make it into finals and it is sooooooo hard.... Respect Joey

all you haters, holler back when you make it into a final... :thumb:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
well if you had earned it racing domestically at 19 then maybe you would have had a shot :rolleyes:

comments from the peanut gallery here are funny... you have no idea how hard it is to do well in world cups. the tracks, the competition, the pressure, etc

I have managed to make it into finals and it is sooooooo hard.... Respect Joey

all you haters, holler back when you make it into a final... :thumb:
Back in your box fanboy!:rofl:

But seriously, its has nothing to do with knowing how hard it is to qualify. It has everything to do with all the privateers who qualify week in and week out and still pay for their own racing(Case in point, Tracy Hannah a few years ago). They're not hating and neither am I, the fact of the matter is that he's on a world cup team, and when you're on a world cup team it's your responsibility to hold up your end of the bargain. And that happens to be, at the very minimum, to qualify. Its nothing personal against the guy but I know one or two guys that have qualified at every world cup they've raced and in many cases placed well and the don't have someone else paying for them.

It just doesn't make sense for a rider who is exhibiting mediocre performance to have a ride when there are so many younger, faster guys out there who have the potential to be up at the top in a few years. Guys that actually perform(much like Troy Brosnan has). And I'm sure theres more out there who deserve a ride.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Graves took the overall and is now concentrating on worlds, but as Victor's rad photo shows, he got boxed our in "a desperate move" (Jared's words) by Rinderknecht. Jared did mention that it wasn't dirty though.

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
Back in your box fanboy!:rofl:

But seriously, its has nothing to do with knowing how hard it is to qualify. It has everything to do with all the privateers who qualify week in and week out and still pay for their own racing(Case in point, Tracy Hannah a few years ago). They're not hating and neither am I, the fact of the matter is that he's on a world cup team, and when you're on a world cup team it's your responsibility to hold up your end of the bargain. And that happens to be, at the very minimum, to qualify. Its nothing personal against the guy but I know one or two guys that have qualified at every world cup they've raced and in many cases placed well and the don't have someone else paying for them.

It just doesn't make sense for a rider who is exhibiting mediocre performance to have a ride when there are so many younger, faster guys out there who have the potential to be up at the top in a few years. Guys that actually perform(much like Troy Brosnan has). And I'm sure theres more out there who deserve a ride.
Second that. I asked myself the same question. There are so many riders with no support who ride more consistently, but don't seem to be noticed by teams...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Second that. I asked myself the same question. There are so many riders with no support who ride more consistently, but don't seem to be noticed by teams...
Probably has something to do with selling themselves to companies and also the marketability of the individuals.

Given the comparitive market difference between the US and Oz, I'm amazed any Australian riders get sponsored. We must account for <2% of DH bike sales worldwide.