Quantcast

Vermont US National Championships July 18-22

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I rode slalom last week with Haley at the MD state championships he was killin it on his new eastern hardtail. I'm so psyched for him, and that's so awesome that Chris won. Now I can say that I've ridden with the DS US National Champ. And to think just months ago the two of them were getting 1st and 3rd at the Clemson inaugural DH race, they've come a long way...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Nice Job Chris Herndog Herndon!!!!
He told me last season he wasn't intimidated by the big boys anymore,
he could ride with em and beat em'
It's all about the confidence!!!
Oh next week it is on! in our backyard
Good job JOE!!
He wins downhills on the same set up (with single speed too!)
South east represent- glad to see you boys havin' such success!
Hope to bang bars with yah next week!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Full results up on usacycling.org

Congrats to my brother and the boys.
Jon Kranzel Sr. 40-49 sport 4th place
Jon Kranzel Jr. 17-18 Jr Expert 15th
Derek Kranzel in his second race ever 16-17 beginner 1st

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
there is no one here. some of the amateur DH categories had less than 3 people even in the 20yr old age categories.

Here are some course photo's from practice today. . . hopefully it dries up a bit more by Sunday afternoon. Course is pretty beat up from being mostly fresh cut grass, super rough and mostly straight down the fall line with very few turns. lots of sniper rocks and tall grass. some love it, some don't . . .

Top to bottom pictures (in reverse order): http://www.flickr.com/photos/10327600@N02/

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
wow... it's gonna be a crap shoot in the muck & mud... i wouldn't be too surprised if an underdog came out on top in the DH tomorrow... all it takes is a wheel getting stuck & the favorites could be out. Regardless if it rains or not... it's gonna be sloppy!

He wear a black and red team specialized jersey at one point in his career?
I seem to remember a hella fast east coaster in slalom a couple years back and he wore team specialized gear.
yah, coulda been... he wasn't on any of the factory teams (i.e. like Chris Powell was), but more of a regional thing i believe... might have worn a blk & red specialized jersey. pretty sure he was that guy you were thinking of. i remember him doin pretty well a few years back

*Speaking of CHRIS POWELL,... spoke to him a yesterday about injuries & all... he said he just got ACL reconstructive surgery & said it'll take a good 9 months for him to be 100%..

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
there is no one here. some of the amateur DH categories had less than 3 people even in the 20yr old age categories.

Here are some course photo's from practice today. . . hopefully it dries up a bit more by Sunday afternoon. Course is pretty beat up from being mostly fresh cut grass, super rough and mostly straight down the fall line with very few turns. lots of sniper rocks and tall grass. some love it, some don't . . .

Top to bottom pictures (in reverse order): http://www.flickr.com/photos/10327600@N02/

]

thanks lee.
looks like fun to me.
everyone on spikes? or are these pics old and its dry now?

top 10 man, go for it!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Lee that looks crazy. Good luck today buddy, kill it! Like Sam says, ride it like its dry...

My main man Todd Seplavy got 3rd in slalom, he's stoked!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
word on the street is that pro finals are currently delayed due to a course change for safety reasons. I bet its the section that dominated me in my race run.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
word on the street is that pro finals are currently delayed due to a course change for safety reasons. I bet its the section that dominated me in my race run.
good to see Mt. Snow is keeping that tradition alive . . .

i'm sure i'll catch a bunch of flack for deciding not to race, but i just couldn't get myself to have fun up there this weekend, and i don't ride my bike for any other reason these days. walked the course to try to get psyched up and ended up wanting to ride even less after watching peole get jacked up all over the place. I used to think the mt. snow course was rad, but after 9 years of of it getting straighter and straighter (and more poorly prepared?) i'm not such a fan. Some people absolutely love it, so to each his own i suppose.

I'm picking Strobel for the win and one of the Moorewood boys on the podium.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I went boom. Twice.

One of the times I managed to wash out coming through the last turn taking out the tape barely 20 feet from the line. Stupid. I guess I'll take 3 seconds from a top 5 with two crashes, but I will be kicking myself for a while for blowing it.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
well i guess i'll throw down some bets too...

Men
1. Luke Strobel
2. Cody Warren
3. Duncan Riffle
4. Cole Bangert
5. Geritt Beytagh

Women
1. Melissa Buhl
2. Kathy Pruitt
3. Lisa Myklak

wow... it's kinda hard to remember names when it's only Americans racing!

Spoke to Cody Warren the other day... he said it's similar to the course that was used a couple years ago when Duncan Riffle won.. & he got second. So it should be some exciting racing nonetheless... but w/ the conditions, who knows

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Sweet, i've been waiting for Gerritt to pull it together.

How did you do mike?
I high-sided off the top of the "waterfall" section, landing on my face and left hand. luckily I don't think anything is broken, just badly bruised and such. :poster_oops:

edit: Driffle flatted.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
wow! great for cole!!!

Same here! & Geritt's been under the weather so it's great to see him still pulling a good result!
Definitely. The two of them were on fire wherever I looked.

Mike, i'm leaving for NC on Wednesday. I'm assuming you're allright for that right?

I crashed after the waterfall too. I tried to take the high to middle line and gap the little step down but got bucked funny and went straight for the woods. I went into the next corner way too inside and did one of the leaned sideways over-the-bars. That section is ****ty with no speed.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Mike, i'm leaving for NC on Wednesday. I'm assuming you're allright for that right?

I crashed after the waterfall too. I tried to take the high to middle line and gap the little step down but got bucked funny and went straight for the woods. I went into the next corner way too inside and did one of the leaned sideways over-the-bars. That section is ****ty with no speed.
I'm gonna try and make the best of it.

Yeah, I went for that far right line, cut to the middle to gap down off of the face, and something caught my front wheel and sent me straight over the bike into the mud pit below. One of the ems guys was like "do you see elvis? do you see ELVIS??!!!!" I was just like, yeah sure, where is my bike! haha! see ya at sugar dogg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Geez, those pics Lee posted only reassured me that I made the right decision by riding XC all weekend instead of racing. Not my type of thing personally.:disgust1: