Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
dafuq? chairs and gondolas on the same cable? never seen that before
Bromont has one like that too, I assume you pay an upcharge for the privilege of not sitting with the plebs on the regular chairs.

Looks like Sunday River has one too.

Apparently a "chondola" is a thing? :confused:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Beaver Creek in CO has the same thing. Different loading lines depending on what you want to ride, obviously. I've never taken the gondi. Thats new..

It's at the base, unless it's snowing, bad weather, etc...not sure why to take the gondi. The chair is a 6 pack. Was fine for all these years...

Now...if you asked me about the best strategy for the 3pm fresh baked chocolate cookies...that's different!

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand

Cool video angle works well showing how much of the edge of the berms Blenki uses. A full race pace from him would be wild to see down Coronet Peak.

Raced this track a couple of years ago. Really good fun, although the side wind was a killer.
That must have been a while ago, unless it was last summer (I mean for you racing, the Blenki video is from this summer) Coronet closed down for quite a while but opened up again last summer, the new mountain manager seems pretty keen to make summer operations a success.
They have the last round of the national series up there this summer and are looking to hold bigger races in the future.

dafuq? chairs and gondolas on the same cable? never seen that before
We have a few of them down this way actually, gondola gives access for everyone for sight seeing, summer & winter. They run fewer gondolas in the winter.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That must have been a while ago, unless it was last summer (I mean for you racing, the Blenki video is from this summer) Coronet closed down for quite a while but opened up again last summer, the new mountain manager seems pretty keen to make summer operations a success.
Yeah the DH track was like 2012 or something. Or 13, or 14. I used to do queenstown a lot back then. The Dirt Farm park out near Cardrona was one of my all time favourite tracks.

We also raced the very top section of the Coronet Peak track a couple years from Trans NZ, but the course turned off and went down the climbing trail. The next stage was Rude Rock all the way to the bottom of Skippers - absolute leg burner but super fun, then Zoot and Slip Saddle.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Bromont has one like that too, I assume you pay an upcharge for the privilege of not sitting with the plebs on the regular chairs.

Looks like Sunday River has one too.

Apparently a "chondola" is a thing? :confused:

damn sunday river...blast from the past. spent a say or two over there every week my senior year of college. it's where i learned to ski.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Unfortunately dirt park is pretty much gone these days, I think the road isn't open anymore and I haven't heard anything about it for years, shame, it is /was a great track.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately dirt park is pretty much gone these days, I think the road isn't open anymore and I haven't heard anything about it for years, shame, it is /was a great track.
It had a bit of everything hey. Twisty up top, steep bits, rocky bits, couple of good gaps and drops. It was a classic - i think Stevie and Gee rode there in a video once. Fucks me what those spiky plants are called but I think I'd rather crash on the rocks than those things though.

edit** from 2:58 onwards in this

Last edited:

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
The Spaniards. Fuck those things. I too would choose to crash in the rocks than on those.
I think that was filmed just after the chairlift closed at coronet, its so good to have it back again.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Going to have to nope on this. Some of the start makes you think you could do it, but a few of the moves and the steepness on camera towards the end, hard nope.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I thought that looked familiar. I've actually ridden there. 9 years ago we went to visit my wife's family in Chile. We spent a week in Pucon, and there's a fair few trails in the area. They are awesome. At the time there wasn't much of a network, but a few shuttle trails a local had built to guide people down. I thought it had enormous potential to be a prime riding destination. I'm not sure how it's developed since then, but I've been itching to go back. with my own bike this time, instead of a rental hardtail with only a functional front brake!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Very interesting bike check. Plus some classic Moir ripping.

Props to Jack for choosing a smaller bike and bringing his awesome skids n drifts to enduro.
I honestly can't bear to watch enduro riders do those shitty looking endo turns. actual stoppie turns look ok but a good skid still looks way more rad to me ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
the Danny Mac Slabs video is an amazing 6 minute Magura ad. Wow. :eek:
I told S last night when I showed the video to her that those are the brakes we fitted to her DH bike last year that she's used once on an Apex run and that she's not allowed to try his line down there :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Always good to see people having fun on bikes - I'm even willing to overlook this being half an emoped video.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll throw this in here as it might not get spotted in the documentary thread:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Crazy good rider
Never really payed too much attention to Jack Moir when he raced DH WC but I'm loving watching him fling the wee bikes about. If only EWS racing looked like this.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Warner is so compelling to watch, I'd have stuck that video out if he forgot his bike at home. He was great on the last HKT podcast.

Moir's vids are fun. So are Mulally's. Kerr's're, too, come to think of it.

All these riders stuck at home are producing great content for all of us stuck at home.