Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not sure how Peaty wasn't dead after his crash in this. I'd still be laying in the dirt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Unlike the "other" video, this one doesn't involve re-forking the bike and adding heavy duty tires. Stock bike.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Unlike the "other" video, this one doesn't involve re-forking the bike and adding heavy duty tires. Stock bike.
I watched that yesterday evening. Bit of a clickbaity concept for a vid, but I watched it all. Quite amazing that he went all-in and didn't even lower the seat in the start hut. We can't blame him for lowering it very early down the track. :O

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same kind of vid, but with a full-on DH race bike on the worst XC WC track they can find. It probably wouldn't be as entertaining however.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I watched that yesterday evening. Bit of a clickbaity concept for a vid, but I watched it all. Quite amazing that he went all-in and didn't even lower the seat in the start hut. We can't blame him for lowering it very early down the track. :O

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same kind of vid, but with a full-on DH race bike on the worst XC WC track they can find. It probably wouldn't be as entertaining however.
I just thought the "other" video done by someone else on the same premise was more of a bullshit video, where he decided the XC fork and tires weren't enough, so he basically turned the FS "XC" bike into a "trail bike" to take it down his local XC track, proclaiming "it doesn't suck"...well yeah, because you made it a trail bike. 120mm 34 (note, not a flexy-as-balls 34 SC, a full 34), "changed a few of my bits". Can't tell how wide the tires are, but they definitely don't look like 2.1 or 2.2 and Scott doesn't come with Enve, they come with Syncros, so looks like way wider rims. Different brakes. Changed bars for wide/stiff bars for lateral control. Rather than "well, I guess I need to pump up more to avoid a blowout and gotta throttle back a bit on these rocks", Brendan swapped out a 27.5 tire to mullet it and slack it out even more with a beefier rear tire. And he keeps saying "full cross country" after that point. The top XC racers go down some sketchy shit on XC bikes in full race configurations. It would be more interesting to watch some of the pro DH racers try to match their KOM times or something on those technical DHs that are part of the XC races, on a variety of bikes. The video above is at least a little closer to that concept, in "can you ride an XC bike down this trail" vs. "can you modify an XC bike to be better at DH".

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
that vid was dumb. you can pick your way down just about any trail on just about any kind of bike if you really want. i rode an old overforked jackal on a long backcountry mtns ride years ago with plenty of rough parts and steeps. did i do it? sure. was it fun using the wrong bike? not really.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
that vid was dumb. you can pick your way down just about any trail on just about any kind of bike if you really want. i rode an old overforked jackal on a long backcountry mtns ride years ago with plenty of rough parts and steeps. did i do it? sure. was it fun using the wrong bike? not really.
Wife and I rode our rigid 29ers down a section of trails on Saturday which had those climbing it suspecting that we were stupid and lost :D

*The worst baby head section was walked

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wife and I rode our rigid 29ers down a section of trails on Saturday which had those climbing it suspecting that we were stupid and lost :D

*The worst baby head section was walked
I did that a few years ago on my gravel bike in Gatineau Park. First rock section I told myself that I'm a friggin idiot but I'm too far in to turn around... derp. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I did that a few years ago on my gravel bike in Gatineau Park. First rock section I told myself that I'm a friggin idiot but I'm too far in to turn around... derp. :D
It was a deliberate effort, we ride the trails in that park all the time so knew exactly what we had coming :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's basically, it, one video is actually taking an XC bike down a downhill course and all the compromises that entails. The other video is converting an XC bike to "downcountry". For sure, any decent rider could probably break either bike if they wanted to on the downhill, going as hard as possible.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Is it only me or do some parts look sped up in this vid? :twitch:

Not to take away any credit from the awesome rider. The riding is sick.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just came to post that too.

your boy Luca out Free-racing Brendog was indeed most enjoyable

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
thoroughly enjoyable
Manuel Lettenbichler was charging so hard in that video! What an amazing 2 wheeled talent!

He and his Dad have both won Romaniacs, 10 years apart.

Is it only me or do some parts look sped up in this vid? :twitch:

Not to take away any credit from the awesome rider. The riding is sick.
I don’t think anyone does that but if still curious, come ride with Mateo and see for yourself. He‘s there almost everyday working under the tram in Champery as a mechanic and does laps on his lunch break. Guys like him don’t need editing tricks to look good.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's impressive. Especially that thing where he gets his bike to flip in front of him?! wtf is that called?

But unfortunately, all I could think of while watching it is OzzyMan narrating it... "There's some flippy-spinny shit, there's some more flippy-spinny shit... fack me, there's some more flippy-spinny shit"

(I think I've been watching too much youtube lately...)

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
David Trummer had Danny Hart as a guest after Notarace in Schladming and they went to our local mountain and let fly on the DH track.

The section between 1:40 and 2:20 is so steep you have to climb it on all fours if want to go up on your feet.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Editing the thread title just to include this pic. Wish I could get a good quality version of this one to fit here.

Photog: Boris Beyer
Rider: Unknown, possibly some up and coming new rider. Guess we will never recognise

Enduro-World-Series-La-Thuile-Sam-Hill.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
These two are approximately mach chicken faster than I am through my closest resort trails:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For being nick named Lord Bummer, he sure seems to be smiling and grinning quite a lot in that video, considering that he just fell off a cliff and had the ultimate yard sale a few weeks ago. :rofl:

Props to him. He obviously loves what he does and can't wait to see him at it again soon. :cheers:
Ya, pretty much.

That camera spinning was insane.
Then seeing the footage of his yard-sale :eek::fie:.
I would have developed a severe allergy to ridge-lines.
Hell, after watching that, I think I may have...