Quantcast

> Wake up, goddam it! <

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We should hit the LLF on some nice evening. Hopefully traffic stays low for a while.

Morning. Meh. NOS limited release US-made knife arriving from Finland today. Last one I found on the nets.
Also, properly made sourdough rising for a pizza tonight. Next step - bread, a pot for baking has been ordered.
We should do that. Lemme see what next week looks like.

What did you pick up this time? I have an Opinel #7 carbon on the way, and a Helle Utvaer blank that needs to be handled. Its either going to be stabilized spalted maple or Dymalux cocobolo.
Nice! Is the blank ground and heat treated? I have an LT Wright Tautog incoming. Should work well in my stubby fingers.
Oh yes, blade is completed short of a set of scales. Blade blank can be sourced for $60 through Ragweed Forge (https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html#nor-blades). Great way to get into knife making if you don't want to invest the time and money into grinding your own stuff.

I also have some micarta I could put on there. Perhaps a forest green with an orange spacer? That would look neat.
I dressed a blade and made a kydex sheath for it a long time ago, I made the scales from play-doh to match the blade pattern. It was a fun project.

View attachment 144748
Just buy it, it is a great knife. I'd prefer the blade to be 1/2" shorter but I don't think I am letting it go anytime soon. :D
I will but want a kydex sheath, ideally horizontal carry so it doesn’t show below my shirt. Gotta build a bike before I buy a $250 knife.
Buy knife only, make your own kydex sheath?
GodDAMMIT, you people. Take your shit to https://www.knifemonkey.com ! :mad:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
GodDAMMIT, you people. Take your shit to https://www.knifemonkey.com ! :mad:
Did I tell you guys Italian Barber released a new stainless steel version of the Hawk razor? There's three baseplates available. I just traded a Mongoose razor head I found in my razor case for one somebody didn't like. I have the two previous aluminum versions, they are pretty decent for the price. These are single edges that use the Artist Club blades.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Did I tell you guys Italian Barber released a new stainless steel version of the Hawk razor? There's three baseplates available. I just traded a Mongoose razor head I found in my razor case for one somebody didn't like. I have the two previous aluminum versions, they are pretty decent for the price. These are single edges that use the Artist Club blades.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Final report submitted and out for approvals. 3+ years of work condensed into one document.

Ball joint replacement on the brodozer the other day went swimmingly, I'm sure you're all wondering. Took the top and doors off when it was close to 80deg out....of course now it's back in the 40s. That's what sweatshirts are for.

Going to spend the next week or so doing as little as possible (work wise of course). Might start building a set of stairs from the driveway to the front walk like we've wanted since we moved in. Could either finalize the plan, or just start digging and make it up as I go. YOLO, amirite?

Friday is the appointment where we find out the sex of #2, though only wife can go per hospital rules and me needing to watch #1. I suspect I won't get an honest relay of info from her. I am going to demand a ultrasound with dick or vajayjay circled and signed by a doctor.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I spent a couple hours dicking around changing the monitor layout on this workstation temporarily installed in my office. It now has my own 27" 4K display (plus 3 more, because radiologist--if my desk was bigger it'd have 5 more!).

Said display is nice, even if stupid security policies keep my desktop on it unscaled and thus very high ppi.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello monkeys. Nothing planned for me today but I did make coffee. Blade bros reminded me I picked up a mid 60s case Cheyenne, untouched and in its original culturally insensitive box. Worth about $100.00 on teh webs so will sell for profit.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Final report submitted and out for approvals. 3+ years of work condensed into one document.

Ball joint replacement on the brodozer the other day went swimmingly, I'm sure you're all wondering. Took the top and doors off when it was close to 80deg out....of course now it's back in the 40s. That's what sweatshirts are for.

Going to spend the next week or so doing as little as possible (work wise of course). Might start building a set of stairs from the driveway to the front walk like we've wanted since we moved in. Could either finalize the plan, or just start digging and make it up as I go. YOLO, amirite?

Friday is the appointment where we find out the sex of #2, though only wife can go per hospital rules and me needing to watch #1. I suspect I won't get an honest relay of info from her. I am going to demand a ultrasound with dick or vajayjay circled and signed by a doctor.
i see you are on track for the SS 3 Kids

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So last week the new boss man said he gave homeboy a task to finish one test case a day. This is the guy who has done about 6 in the last 3 months.

He gave me 2 on Wednesday last week after our meeting on Tuesday. I was excited, but have gotten jack shit since. Ask the boss man how he felt things were going and it seems like one guy thought the other was doing it. So homeboys assistant said he will hopefully make up for some lost time today. WTF people. Good thing I am paid by the hour.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Boss at New Job sent me an e-mail congratulating me and welcoming me aboard, and said he'll send me their onboarding and WFH plan in the next couple of days once they get all that hashed out, and I'm all like bruh your recruitment office still hasn't completed my background check and officially hired me yet, nor have I given notice at my current job.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Boss at New Job sent me an e-mail congratulating me and welcoming me aboard, and said he'll send me their onboarding and WFH plan in the next couple of days once they get all that hashed out, and I'll all like bruh your recruitment office still hasn't completed my background check and officially hired me yet, nor have I given notice at my current job.
Ahhhh... business as usual, then, in HR departments. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ride night tonight. It's cool, sunny and dry. my favourite riding weather. except I feel like chit. my sleeps have been very interrupted these past few days... I hope it gets better as soon as I hit the trail.

weighing my options for post-ride take-out. I think Ramen will be the ticket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like story-time, Unka Kranked! :D
tl;dr
checking out with groceries, card declined
called and asked wtf
was told card had been closed because fraud flag (some online hack unrelated to my activity) and a new card had been sent beginning of april
i never received "new" card
they couldn't reopen my old card, which fine, ok
but when i asked to expedite ship me a new card was told they couldn't do that, which is BS and was last straw
they closed the last physical locations in our state a while back, only reason we hadn't changed sooner is because of the hassle of changing banks

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Why would you be using a debit card anyway? (Assuming it's one if linked to a credit union)

Sapphire Reserve is the way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why would you be using a debit card anyway? (Assuming it's one if linked to a credit union)

Sapphire Reserve is the way.
it's one we get access through our employee benefits. it *used* to be super convenient as they had a branch located on my wife's office campus (it closed several years ago).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
With a $450 annual fee? :rofl:

No.
$550 this year! Although they did back out $100 in light of COVID-collapse and all.

It actually makes financial sense if one dines out and travels sufficiently*, and for my household's spending its benefits pay for its fee and then some.

* namely, $300 annual travel credit, Global Entry fees reimbursed, Priority Pass provided (although DEN has no amenities now), DashPass gratis with $60 Doordash credit per year x 2 years, cheaper Lyft rates, and 3% points accrual on travel and restaurant spending / 1.5 cent per point redemption rate when those points are used towards booking travel via Chase's portal

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
$550 this year! Although they did back out $100 in light of COVID-collapse and all.

It actually makes financial sense if one dines out and travels sufficiently*, and for my household's spending its benefits pay for its fee and then some.

* namely, $300 annual travel credit, Global Entry fees reimbursed, Priority Pass provided (although DEN has no amenities now), DashPass gratis with $60 Doordash credit per year x 2 years, cheaper Lyft rates, and 3% points accrual on travel and restaurant spending / 1.5 cent per point redemption rate when those points are used towards booking travel via Chase's portal
yea none of that does anything for me. you probably make enough cash back on your kare pan habit that it pays for itself.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
When I did the math a few years ago one would break even versus a no fee flat 2% cash back card at ~$7,500/year combined restaurant/travel spending due to that 3% x 1.5 cents/point deal. Anything over that favors the Sapphire Reserve.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I did the math a few years ago one would break even versus a no fee flat 2% cash back card at ~$7,500/year combined restaurant/travel spending due to that 3% x 1.5 cents/point deal. Anything over that favors the Sapphire Reserve.
get the eff outta here with that pre-covid math

:D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
get the eff outta here with that pre-covid math

:D
The next year may be very light on travel, sure... but we all went to Hawaii in early March before the shit hit the fan + the requisite west coast trips earlier that year for family. Stimulating the economy isn't easy but it must be done.