Quantcast

WC Round 1: Pietermaritzburg, SA

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
**** I can't believe they let Gwin take his MX bike down the course, out peddaled Minaar! This is going to be one hell of a season!!

Freecaster seriously ****s me off tho. On a replay why can't I pause it old school dial up style and let the feed get a headstart before I start watching it enabling me to watch it in high quality?? Just had to watch it in the lowest quality and feel like I really missed out on a lot of stuff :(

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Might be a weird thing to notice, but did anyone else notice Gwin's missing teeth at the end? It's only after he took the hot seat did it look like he put on a set of dentures?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Tomac convinced him that teeth slow you down..

Old news, I think he lost them last season in a training crash or something. I think he was joking about them in a Vital interview at one point.

Cant wait to see how the season unfolds once they get to the more technical courses...Windham could be flooded this year if Gwin can pull down a few more.

Last edited:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I was out of town this AM (in Moab riding) when I got a text from Krispy about Gwinn winning. I just watched the replay and was just as stoked as if I had watched it live. WOW, what a run. Man did he put in the work in the off-season. Two seasons ago he showed he had the skills to compete on the big courses. Last season he showed he had the consistency that wins championships. This season he seems to have developed the physical fitness to go pedal to pedal with the long time favorites.

I'm really looking forwad to seeing how the season plays out. We all know Atherton, Minaar and Hill will be favorites, but now we add in Peat, Gwinn, and Hanna. It's gonna be exciting!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I read Hannah messed up his shoulder- anyone have more info yet?
Mick is good, he will be back on the bike in a few days, big bruise on his left thigh. He took a flat turn and the bike just gave way on him and sending him into a tree and the bolts from his stem ripped off the top crown. No shoulder injury.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Mick is good, he will be back on the bike in a few days, big bruise on his left thigh. He took a flat turn and the bike just gave way on him and sending him into a tree and the bolts from his stem ripped off the top crown. No shoulder injury.
Thank you, great to hear he's ok!!!!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I noticed him thank God for his win. I wish I knew sooner that God had an interest in down hill racing so he could have helped me down the mountain a little faster. I pretty sure he has no interest in freeriding though.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I noticed him thank God for his win. I wish I knew sooner that God had an interest in down hill racing so he could have helped me down the mountain a little faster. I pretty sure he has no interest in freeriding though.
It's bad form to rip on personal beliefs, but the way the God-vibe has infiltrated some DH and MX communities is just plain strange. It seems to be associated with certain regions and personalities within these sports and branches out from there.

If there's on thing we can all agree on, it's that any god would look down on flat bars on DH bikes. I think I spied a couple of those on the freecaster feed.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
so much wow in one picture. curious tire choice indeed.

Are you joking or what ?
That whas in my opinion THE tire to use on such a speedy & pedally track for sure !

Congrats to Gwin for his first WC win !
I really was expecting him to do good on this track.

So he used a semi-slick on the rear when the ultra-techy French Fabulous Fabien used a cut spike (I know he loves those tyres) that's curious :confused:

Anyone here have an idea of the top ten choice on this race final ????????

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Finally. Now there is a good reason for the million Gwin for the Win comments before every race. Stoked for Gwin to finally get what we all knew was coming.

Any word or Brendon's condition? Did I miss it somewhere?

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Finally. Now there is a good reason for the million Gwin
Any word or Brendon's condition? Did I miss it somewhere?
He's interviewed on Dirt Mag ... during quali his foot ripped of the pedal on landing, he blew one knee, nothing broken, he's not sure yet about his ligaments ...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I heard Brendan blew his foot off trying a pretty risky line, although he plays it off in the interview. I wonder what line it was though?

Also, did anyone notice Gwin's line through the very steep rock section in Saturday's practice video? Didn't see anyone else do that. I wonder if he did it for his race run and if it was any faster?

I was pleased to see Gwin give the Big Dude some props, I suspect Gwin would say God has played a part in his personal development into very strong but laid back, successful racer - not winning the race. Not sure we're allowed to talk about that kinda stuff here though!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I WAS serious.... but now I see that I am just clueless. :D :confused:

Having seen the tire as new that Gwin was running it makes a little more sense. The tire in that pic looked almost bald in the middle. Thats what threw me. Gives you a sense of how abusive a WC run is on equipment. :shocked:

Are you joking or what ?
That whas in my opinion THE tire to use on such a speedy & pedally track for sure !

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I WAS serious.... but now I see that I am just clueless. :D :confused:

Having seen the tire as new that Gwin was running it makes a little more sense. The tire in that pic looked almost bald in the middle. Thats what threw me. Gives you a sense of how abusive a WC run is on equipment. :shocked:
I dont quite understand. Monk has digged bling blings out of his basement for him. Thats why the tire looked baldish, not because it was so worn.

Also I remember some riders in 09 used cut rollers.