Quantcast

wc schladming thread

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm just gonna rile the crowd by saying I don't think Hill deserves the title. He won it with his qualifying runs Minnaar raced better this year. Flame away.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
I'm just gonna rile the crowd by saying I don't think Hill deserves the title. He won it with his qualifying runs Minnaar raced better this year. Flame away.
I don't deserve to be as good looking as I am or to be hung like two shetland ponies! But I am...some of us play the cards we are dealt better then others. Sam did just that!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

the person with the most points deserves the title... pretty simple concept. And qualies are not that big a deal points wise when you consider how much Sam won the series by.

Hill's results:

4th in S. Africa
2nd by a few tenths at La Bresse
2nd again at Ft William
2nd at Maribor
1st at MSA
3rd at Bromont
1st at Schladming.

Had he not crashed out in Andorra for a 35th place (while on a winning run) he would have pretty much run away with the title.

Last edited:

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Had he not crashed out in Andorra for a 35th place (while on a winning run) he would have pretty much run away with the title.
Same goes for Minnaar at MSA, where he stood a good chance of the win, and Peaty at Maribor (though he wasn't particularly likely to win there).

But I'm Australian, so of course Hill deserved the win! :thumb:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Same goes for Minnaar at MSA, where he stood a good chance of the win, and Peaty at Maribor (though he wasn't particularly likely to win there).

But I'm Australian, so of course Hill deserved the win! :thumb:

i am impressed that Hill, despite his huge crash in Andorra, managed to still be within 5 seconds of the winner there. But on such a tight course 5 seconds down = 35th

5 seconds off the winning time at Schladming, St Anne, Maribor, and Fort Bill would still get you on the podium.

All the top guys had essentially one "throw away" result this year, however Sam's was the worst and he scored almost no points.

Keep in mind too that Sam lost chains during the qualies at both Andorra and La Bresse... and still managed to salvage those runs with good times.

for sure someone else deserves the title more :thumb:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I'm glad Hill won and not Minnaar.

Sam Hill is much more entertaining and thrilling to watch than Minnaar who, IMO, is a bit dull.

Dunno why Brendan was cruising in his race run? I reckon he could have done much better, I know he cruises most of the time but he didn't look like he was even trying in his race run...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Minaar doesn't seem to be wearing any Syndicate clothes... any word on the street about a switch of team for '10?
are you on drugs?
"The end of the season is a time for reflection - what has been, what could have been, what will be in 2010! The pits are awash with rumors about who is going, staying, changing teams and Greg Minnaar features highly on peoples lips. -Gary Perkin" (quoted from: http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Schladming-2009-DH-Finals,224/Slideshow,1887/sspomer,2)

maybe not so much on drugs eh?! :rolleyes: you?! how's the coolaid?

I said that for several reasons: he's been conspicuously quiet lately (at least in the media), he's not wearing much Syndicate clothes, Whitely is his manager at 23 Degrees Sports, and doesn't Whitely also own Trek World Racing? Granted Whitely represents many athletes on many different teams, but still...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Wolrld Cup standing in total seconds....
----------------------------------
  1. HILL 1401.67
  2. MINNAAR 1408.83
  3. ATHERTON 1413.34
  4. PEAT 1413.95
  5. HANNAH 1414.22
  6. GWIN 1428.34
  7. LEOV 1430.19
  8. BLENKINSOP 1437.33
  9. FAIRCLOUGH 1438.1
  10. SMITH_Steve 1443.86
  11. BRYCELAND 1449.12
  12. BEER 1449.17
  13. NEETHLING 1458.21
  14. GUARDIA 1458.74
  15. RIFFLE 1461.41
  16. VAZQUEZ 1471.74
  17. STROBEL 1472.05
  18. DELFS 1475.52
  19. SMITH_Joe 1482.45
  20. HART 1485.91
  21. STANBRIDGE 1488.94
  22. BUTTON 1492.49
  23. THIRION 1500.63
  24. PASCAL 1642.42

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Can you do one for the qualifying too, and then one for qualifying + finals? :-)
Not right now...

Besides, one of the qualifying sheets was messed up early in the year i think....or it was in a format i couldn't deal with...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well just do it for the other 7, then add the 8th in manually for the top 20 guys :P

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Your definitely right about Frank (i think?), but i've heard from a number of people that Specialized acquired someone from Maxxis (presumably to do something with dh tires?). but it's a rumor in the bike industry so who knows/cares.

I've heard nothing but good things in regards to Specialized's current and forthcoming tires. Hill was testing different treads at Bromont this summer, i'll be interested to see what that leads to.
That is why I said "literally". CST makes a lot of folks tires.

Specialized did hire a full time tire designer and he did used to be at Maxxis. I think Frank still does consult for them. But Specialized new tires are much improved and now a US Open title and a WC victory.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Speaking of tires, so did Blenky and Gwin race on Schwalbe tires at finals? And if so, does that now mean they are worth buying?
When I was in whistler, I was doing some runs with a certain top pro, he was riding on schwalbe tires, he was not supposed to be on them, he said they are the best tires he has ever ridden in his career. He has been buying them when in europe.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've heard nothing but good things about the tread design. I have heard people bitching about their sidewalls though.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
muddy mary was one of them...I went to the website and got real confused. I am not into this techy crap as much as you guys, so I didn't pay attention to which model, just remember how stoked he was on them.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Minnaar has said several time that qualifying cost him the title this year, so i checked the math.

minnaar's quali results were: 2,7,4,2,9,x,3,19 for a total of 165 pts

Hill's results were: 8,4,1,6,5,1,2,1 for 274 pts

274-165= a 109 pt advantage for Hill

Hill won the overall by 120 pts with 1469 to Minnaar's 1349.

Throw out all qualifying pts and Hill still wins the overall by a scant 11pts (because he raced better this year)

You've been flamed;)

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh, and one other thing to think about is that Hill made a physical mistake on course to cost him major points. I think he would have an easier time sleeping at night knowing he lost because he was going for it. If I were the Syndicate pair, I think I wouldn't rest as easy knowing that minus a mechanical through no fault of their own, that they would have finished 1/2 on the year. What tires are they on?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Oh, and one other thing to think about is that Hill made a physical mistake on course to cost him major points. I think he would have an easier time sleeping at night knowing he lost because he was going for it. If I were the Syndicate pair, I think I wouldn't rest as easy knowing that minus a mechanical through no fault of their own, that they would have finished 1/2 on the year. What tires are they on?
Huh? since when is flatting not your fault? especially with Maxxis tires.

That said, Minnaar flatted in qualies and as my previous post detail would have lost the overall by 11pts even with all qualifying pts thrown out.

peat's flat in maribor was a non-factor. he lost the overall by 211 pts, so even if he won maribor (200pts) he still loses the overall.

all the what-if's in the world don't mean much as no one had an incident free season (even then they don't mean much), and either way you slice it Hill won with consistency without making an exception for his dismal result in Andorra, a race wich he almost surely would have won (+200).

Now, if Scladming had a 40 second flat to uphill sprint at the end Minnaar might have been able to repeat his luck from '08. but gifts like that only come around so often :)

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
And since Hill was never going to win at Canberra, he had a much better season than last year, despite rarely being on the top step. Where're the worlds next year?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
If Sam can keep this up and keep riding this hard/good injury free he stands a good chance to break peatys wins in less time than peaty but more than Nico. The only thing that could stop Sam from doing so is Sam.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Speaking of which, has Sam had any serious injuries since he's been on the WC scene? None that I can think of?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
By about 11 seconds if my memory serves me right. Pila 05 right? Although I don't think he came right back, I'm sure he missed 2 rounds, but still ended up 2nd overall.
it was either 4 or 6 secs.. still a hammering.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Minnaar has said several time that qualifying cost him the title this year, so i checked the math.

minnaar's quali results were: 2,7,4,2,9,x,3,19 for a total of 165 pts

Hill's results were: 8,4,1,6,5,1,2,1 for 274 pts

274-165= a 109 pt advantage for Hill

Hill won the overall by 120 pts with 1469 to Minnaar's 1349.

Throw out all qualifying pts and Hill still wins the overall by a scant 11pts (because he raced better this year)

You've been flamed;)
Then I stand corrected and props to Hill. :thumb:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I'd have to assume so since he was tied with Greg for 3rd before this last race. I think they were tied at 10 if memory serves so Hill would now have 11. I'd have to imagine that either Hill or Minaar have a shot at breaking Peaty's record but then again Peaty ain't done yet and in this sport not many race as long as he has and stay at the top for that long either. Some new hotshot could come up in the next year or two and then all bets are off.