scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/11/D8EEF3JO0.html

Racial Violence Shocks Australian City

By MIKE CORDER
Associated Press Writer
Dec 11 10:43 PM US/Eastern

SYDNEY, Australia - Thousands of drunken white youths attacked police and people they believed were Arab immigrants at a Sydney beach on Sunday, angered by reports that youths of Lebanese descent had assaulted two lifeguards. Young men of Arab descent retaliated in several Sydney suburbs, fighting with police and smashing 40 cars with sticks and bats, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thirty-one people were injured and 28 were arrested in hours of violence. Police said they were seeking an Arab man who allegedly stabbed a white man in the back.

The city was calm Monday, and police formed a strike force to track down the instigators.

Some 5,000 white youths, wrapped in Australian flags and chanting racist slurs, fought with police, attacked people of Arab appearance and assaulted a pair of paramedics at Cronulla beach in southern Sydney, police said. Police fought back with batons and pepper spray.

Prime Minister John Howard condemned the violence, but said he did not believe racism was widespread in Australia.

"Attacking people on the basis of their race, their appearance, their ethnicity, is totally unacceptable and should be repudiated by all Australians irrespective of their own background and their politics," Howard said.

He added, "I'm not going to put a general tag (of) racism on the Australian community."

The rioters were reacting to reports that youths of Lebanese descent were responsible for an attack last weekend on two of the beach's lifeguards.

Police had increased the number of officers patrolling the beach after mobile phone text messages circulated calling for retaliation for the attack on the guards.

One white teenager among the rioters had the words "We grew here, you flew here" painted on his back. On the sand, someone had written "100 percent Aussie pride."

Two paramedics in an ambulance were injured as they tried to help youths trying to escape rioters, when members of the mob smashed the vehicle's windows and kicked its doors.

TV broadcasts showed a group of young women attacking another woman, whose ethnicity was not immediately clear.

The violence shocked this city of 4 million which prides itself on being a cultural melting pot.

"Our disgrace," said a front page headline in Sydney's Daily Telegraph. Below was a picture of white youths attacking a man of Arab appearance on a train.

"Let's be very clear, the police will be unrelenting in their fight against these thugs and hooligans," said Morris Iemma, the leader of New South Wales state. He said the riots "showed the ugly side of racism in this country."

Kevin Schreiber, the mayor of the district where Cronulla is located, said he was devastated by the rampage, but that he believed the rioters came "from far and wide to participate."

Cronulla, one of the few beaches in Sydney that is easily accessible by train, is often visited by youngsters from poorer suburbs, many of them of Arab descent. Residents accuse the youths of traveling in gangs and sometimes intimidating other beachgoers.

Bruce Baird, a government lawmaker, said anti-Muslim sentiment has risen in Australia since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the 2002 bombings in Bali, Indonesia, that killed 88 Australians. He noted that six women from Cronulla were killed in the Bali bombings.

"Where this riot took place is actually the site of where we've got the Bali memorial for these women," Baird told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Kuranda Seyit, director of the Forum of Australia's Islamic Relations, described Australia as a "pluralist society, with many faiths and traditions all raveled into one."

He added: "This is the unique success of this nation, and we cannot let it fall into chaos and lawlessness."

damn this is a surprise...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
A co-worker of mine was looking into imigrating to Oz. Evidently if you're of western European decent (*coug* not middle eastern or Asian *cough*) and can support yourself for at least 2 years they pretty much have a "no questions asked" come right in policy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I passed by a TV the other day with some news channel on with the headline "Drunken Australians Riot". All I could think was "isn't drunken and Australian a given".:) It seems that the incident was a little more sinister.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
valve bouncer said:
Sorry buddy that arguement doesn't fly. Australia hasn't seen the need to kill its citizens and we are as diverse as you are. Find another excuse.
This is from another thread, but I wanted to bring this up again about how America, despite all its problems, does a much better job with diversity issues than other countries...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Andyman_1970 said:
A co-worker of mine was looking into imigrating to Oz. Evidently if you're of western European decent (*coug* not middle eastern or Asian *cough*) and can support yourself for at least 2 years they pretty much have a "no questions asked" come right in policy.
Complete bullsh*t Andy. Way more complicated than that. The only people who have anywhere near an open door policy are Kiwis because of the historical ties.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
sanjuro said:
This is from another thread, but I wanted to bring this up again about how America, despite all its problems, does a much better job with diversity issues than other countries...
Yeah because there's never race riots in America is there?:rolleyes:

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Racial riots are always messy, and i believe that most of the racial riots are blown out of perportion. The same situation happened in France, a group of arabs living in France we protesting teh un-fair treatment they were receaving from teh Fremch government. I guess they were'nt getting the same job oprotunitys as teh French residents, well they arabs climbed a power grid and got killed, the arabs then rioted and tryed to kill the french police. The police then used neccesarly force, killing many rioters. Well i thought id bring that up, and isent this ironic the French dident want to go into Iraq ( understandible) but they dient want to help on Afghanistan ( not understandible) claiming that the middle eastern people espscially the Arabs were being treated un-faily by the UN and that they dident want to cause any more tention than was already present between the middle east and the French.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Damn True said:
How's that whole Aborignal thing going down there.

Woops, not supposed to mention that skeleton.....sorry.
They've been quiet. Probably too busy wading through the irony.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
valve bouncer said:
Complete bullsh*t Andy. Way more complicated than that. The only people who have anywhere near an open door policy are Kiwis because of the historical ties.
hmm..its ok for the ozzies to have a tight border but when the yanks want to do it...its tyranny/bigotry/racism/frothing etc

how interesting :rolleyes:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
ridetoofast said:
hmm..its ok for the ozzies to have a tight border but when the yanks want to do it...its tyranny/bigotry/racism/frothing etc

Well it's different because well....um.......you see........it's kinda complicated.......um.......see what I mean? It's totally different.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
ridetoofast said:

You honestly do not even have a single clue what you're talking about. It's painfully obvious you know nothing about Australia's immigration policies. One of the reasons some of those morons at Cronulla were fighting is because they think Australia's immigration policy is too liberal.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's the Ride True Damn Fast comedy hour!

Damn you guys have no idea sometimes. You're comparing official immigration policy on an island to a bunch of rednecks shooting at mexicans in the desert?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Changleen said:

Damn you guys have no idea sometimes. You're comparing official immigration policy on an island to a bunch of rednecks shooting at mexicans in the desert?
They don't have any idea what they're talking about. Pretty much the same with all they write. I call it "frotheritis".
The reasons behind this riot and Australia's immigration policy are really 2 different discussions but it would be impossible to argue it with Fast and True as they don't have the foggiest notion at what's going on.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Well everybody knows that the original white "settlers" of Australia come from much better stock than the current crop of non-white immigrants. I can certainly see where they have an inherent right to drunkenly protest.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
This can happen everywhere.

But I'm sure that this whole "racism issue" is blown out of proportion.
The media loves this kind of news and spread it as wide as possible.
An English journalist compared these 'riots' with English hooligans at an international soccer game....a 'select group of trash messing up"

It's not because some white trash scum screams "We grew here, you flew here" that the majority of Australia agrees.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
preppie said:
This can happen everywhere.

But I'm sure that this whole "racism issue" is blown out of proportion.
The media loves this kind of news and spread it as wide as possible.
An English journalist compared these 'riots' with English hooligans at an international soccer game....a 'select group of trash messing up"

It's not because some white trash scum screams "We grew here, you flew here" that the majority of Australia agrees.

A reasonable analysis however....
There was a really nasty racial undercurrent in these riots. It's never very far below the surface in Australia.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
valve bouncer said:
There was a really nasty racial undercurrent in these riots. It's never very far below the surface in Australia.

The abroginals are generally treated like lowly scum by true blues as are a lot of people from asia.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
valve bouncer said:
Yes that's true.
But you can find that 'nasty racial undercurrent' in almost every country with immigrants.
Almost every European country had somekind of 'racial riot' in the past.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
N8 said:
The abroginals are generally treated like lowly scum by true blues as are a lot of people from asia.
Yep, pretty much the same way black people are treated in America or Europe. Sad really. Oh and you spelled it wrong N8, the correct word is "abodiginals".;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
preppie said:
Yes that's true.
But you can find that 'nasty racial undercurrent' in almost every country with immigrants.
Almost every European country had somekind of 'racial riot' in the past.

True, Australia is certainly no better or worse in that regard.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
valve bouncer said:
Yep, pretty much the same way black people are treated in America or Europe. Sad really. Oh and you spelled it wrong N8, the correct word is "abodiginals".;)
Yes, but aboriginals were, ya know, originally there. We brought blacks here, so it's not really the same.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Westy said:
I don't understand how some people get joy out of other countries, our allies no less, having problems.
I think it's more about giving me a hard time. Can't say I don't deserve it though.:D :thumb:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
valve bouncer said:
Alright Native Americans then.
I don't know how accurate it is but it strikes me how much the "school" in "rabbit proof fence" is like what missionaries and settlers did to native Americans. My grandfather was cherokee and his grandfather walked the trail of tears. On many reservations children were taken from their families, sent to missionary school and beaten whenever they spoke their native language or used native customs. The parallels are striking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I lived in New Orleans, I was on a date with an Australian girl. We got on the trolley and there was a large group of young Australians on board. They were loud and obnoxious, a common occurence, but they started using the N-word at full volume.

After we got off, she said how embarassed she was, that large vacationing groups can be total jerkoffs, and how she purposely kept quiet so that they wouldn't know she was also Australian.

I got the impression that Australians in general were a racist lot. It is just an impression, but stuff like this gives Australia a black eye.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
valve bouncer said:
Really?

Serious quesiton here: Any Aboriginals on Oz's version of the Supreme Court? High ranking military officers? Sec-Def? Sec-State?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Changleen said:

My commentary had nothing to do with offical govt. policy. I was talking about individal opinions on the issue.

By the "shooting at mexicans" comment I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) you are talking about the Minutemen. You ought to know that not a single shot was fired.