Quantcast

+ Wed nes day +

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Nice.

When I was but a wee lad, my dad, a career wild land firefighter, managed to cut through a goodly portion of a boot and one foot while cutting firewood at home. While somewhat traumatic for early teens me, I don't think it was nearly as bad as the ration of shit the old man got from every member of his line crews that year. :rofl:

He did lose the ability to wiggle his toes on what ever foot it was. I do not recall, these days.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah I have purposely avoided chainsaws my entire life but bought one for the yard work I am doing lately. I have all the gear and about 25 hours of time running it. I was cutting some brush low in a crouched position and the bush fell on me knocking me off balance. My left hand pivoted the chainsaw as I fell back. It nicked the bone also. Most gawd damn dangerous tool I have ever used.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Christ! Guessing no chaps?
chaps, while nice, aren't super necessary IMO unless you run a saw a lot or frequently. i wouldn't mind a pair, but almost always wear jeans. the other week i was cutting up a tree for a neighbor and it was close to 100° and humid and wore shorts.

flipside, earlier in the summer i was doing trailwork and there was a guy with full chaps, and helmet/face shield running a 14" homelite saw with a chain so loose on the bar i'm not entirely sure how it stayed on.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well after fun with chainsaws, anybody wanna see the pic of my wife's leg after playing with a punji stick? :brows:

Really glad your self-sample technique was not any deeper.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Well after fun with chainsaws, anybody wanna see the pic of my wife's leg after playing with a punji stick? :brows:

Really glad your self-sample technique was not any deeper.
Sounds like a fun wound! Thanks I am grateful although the saw bucked off my shin bone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There used to be a guy in our sterility assurance group that took a chainsaw to the face and lived to tell about it. Thankfully it was just a flesh wound, but the scar went from just above his eye to about his jaw.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There used to be a guy in our sterility assurance group that took a chainsaw to the face and lived to tell about it. Thankfully it was just a flesh wound, but the scar went from just above his eye to about his jaw.
My dad felled trees for 2 summers in the 1960's. He has told me enough stories to keep me scared of chainsaws. Since I have been running mine I have been able to maintain the saw well and have cut down a couple dozen trees and chopped them up and hauled them off. It was 100 degrees today and I had to do alot of walking in between the shrubs I was cleaning up. Figured it would be just a few minutes and too hot for chaps. Today has changed my mind though. I have a Husqvarna Rancher 455 with 20" bar. I could see getting a small saw with small bar for lighter duty /brushing work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My dad felled trees for 2 summers in the 1960's. He has told me enough stories to keep me scared of chainsaws. Since I have been running mine I have been able to maintain the saw well and have cut down a couple dozen trees and chopped them up and hauled them off. It was 100 degrees today and I had to do alot of walking in between the shrubs I was cleaning up. Figured it would be just a few minutes and too hot for chaps. Today has changed my mind though. I have a Husqvarna Rancher 455 with 20" bar. I could see getting a small saw with small bar for lighter duty /brushing work.
I have the same size saw, I've been considering something smaller for brush work too, until then I'm using pruning shears and a silky.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
When I was in the fire department we had equipment SOPs that we had to follow. We had a rookie fresh out of academy and we were doing equipment checks. He was told to watch and learn. Guy grabs a chainsaw. No glves., No chaps, no ear, eye, or face protection. It's a 30" bar and fires it up. I grabbed it out of his hands and shut it down. I read him the riot act about propper PPE and not using any equipment until he is checked out on it. He replied. I have my own chainsaw and I know what I am doing, I don't need your instructions. That was his last day as a firefighter.