Quantcast

wedding gift from mom. a watch. help me decide.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Clean and understated aren't words that I would use to describe most Breitling watches.

when i think about "clean and understated" i think about vacheron.
but they are outrageously out of budget. in fact, i´ve only seen 2 in real life in my 29 years in this planet.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
vacherons are beautiful still rather conventional styling though.

i like that one

available with a ti body too, looks gorgeous

btw anybody still remember the company which build that mechanical watch which mimicked a digital clock by turning tiny metal bars?

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd say fancy in regards to how much stuff if can do functionality wise, which is a lot, while still looking expensive and "dressy". Flashy I associate with bright and sparkly but functionally basic.

And light?! Everyone that tries on my Citizen asks how I can wear a watch so heavy. Then again it has the SS case/band, not Ti.
From what I can see I get a seven day satisfaction guarantee, I'm sending this sucker back, not because it's a bad watch but because I was led to believe it was local stock. If I had have known it was going to be a grey import with a foreign warranty card that wasn't completed I would have bought it cheaper from a different source.

Hopefully I get a refund and I can get something else.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a $60 Freestyle that tells time, bounces off the floor, doesn't break, has a stopwatch...and I can take back to REI for any reason.

This thread is ghey.

Seriously? We are on a site that has a majority thinks your kit should match your bike, or you should be rockin body hugging Lycra.
In comparison this thread is balls out macho!

Just kidding, yeah it's gay.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you thought about getting a cell phone and a fancy bracelet or two?
Am I the only one that hates digging a cell phone out of their pocket to check the time? Not to mention the assumption that the phone is next to me every single time I want to check the clock.

I A) don't have my phone glued to my hip, and B) think it's annoying to pull the phone out of my pocket to check the time. Also, it's not exactly discrete if you want to check the time in a meeting, or when you're talking to someone, unless you're antisocial enough to be one of these people constantly staring at their phone regardless of the social situation.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Spending over $3k on a watch and not getting a Breitling is a classic dumbass move. Rolex are junk and look at me too pieces. Breitling is clean, classy, understated (well most of them), and built to take real abuse.
Suggesting $3k watches with bad grammar is FAILZ!

Am I the only one that hates digging a cell phone out of their pocket to check the time? Not to mention the assumption that the phone is next to me every single time I want to check the clock.

I A) don't have my phone glued to my hip, and B) think it's annoying to pull the phone out of my pocket to check the time. Also, it's not exactly discrete if you want to check the time in a meeting, or when you're talking to someone, unless you're antisocial enough to be one of these people constantly staring at their phone regardless of the social situation.
Plus the pastor seeing your face light during service might call you up to witness if he says the spirit in your eyes that day. ;)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Nope. I'm confused why people would want to dig a phone out of their pocket when they can just have the time on their wrist.

There's all sorts of situations where I don't have my phone with me, so the watch is good to have.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
so, my catholic wedding is in a few weeks.

last weekend my mom asked me "have you thought about what would you like to receive as a wedding present, for yourself" (as in, not like a washer/dryer for the house).

i said "anything you give me will be great, mom".
so my mom told me how my dad got a pretty kickass watch when they got married, and that she thought it would make a great present for me too.

she said, considering how i always liked my dad´s ss daytona, she thought of 2 stainless steel sports watch i might like.

she said she has thuoght about a steel rolex submariner or a omega speedmaster (i like the white face with black small dials, but i dont know if i can find one )
she asked which one i´d prefer, or if i liked another. i also like iwc.

submariner. there is also a nylon strap (nato style) available which is pretty sweet.

speedmaster. i like this combination, although am not sure they still make this one.

i also like iwc, though not sports watches.

the portuguese (one of the least expensive versions, sans complications)

and the portofino.

picks? suggestions?
What watch did you end up with?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
IWC Portuguese.
Sweet! I love watches! About 4 years ago I bought a Daytona, of course the following year Rolex came out with the ceramic Daytona which I’ve been searching for. I’ve been on a waiting list for one for 2.5 about years now. I don’t want to pay grey market prices. I also have my grandfathers/dads 1803 Day/Date, but seldom wear that one.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sweet! I love watches! About 4 years ago I bought a Daytona, of course the following year Rolex came out with the ceramic Daytona which I’ve been searching for. I’ve been on a waiting list for one for 2.5 about years now. I don’t want to pay grey market prices. I also have my grandfathers/dads 1803 Day/Date, but seldom wear that one.
Buy them in Lima, or in Europe. Rolex controls the supply in the US, but steel Daytonas are normally in stock in Lima.
A friend of mine has a ceramic/platinum Daytona here. It was in stock.
You could probably buy Daytonas for US MSRP or maybe a bit less.

There is a pretty cool jewerler at the airport in Amsterdam. Lowest prices I´ve seen on high end watches. They can charge your card in whatever currency you want and have pretty much all the cool stuff in stock. Gassan is the name, if I recall correctly. Euro/USD is low right now, and its tax-free if you are boarding a plane out of the EU.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like my Apple Watch. Replying to texts via it is pretty convenient, as is access to my whole calendar. Going from an aluminum body Series 4 to a titanium Series 5 once my Apple-employee buddy sends me what the damage will be at his discount.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Buy them in Lima, or in Europe. Rolex controls the supply in the US, but steel Daytonas are normally in stock in Lima.
A friend of mine has a ceramic/platinum Daytona here. It was in stock.
You could probably buy Daytonas for US MSRP or maybe a bit less.

There is a pretty cool jewerler at the airport in Amsterdam. Lowest prices I´ve seen on high end watches. They can charge your card in whatever currency you want and have pretty much all the cool stuff in stock. Gassan is the name, if I recall correctly. Euro/USD is low right now, and its tax-free if you are boarding a plane out of the EU.
A platinum Dayton is too much for me to drop on a watch at this moment. I went to half a dozen Rolex dealers in Italy & Greece over the summer and they had nothing as far as a SS ceramic Daytona. I am also on the quest for my birth year (1966) Submariner. The search goes on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So another watch came up on wish, so I saved it. Then (as it often happens) it showed up on the blitz buy 5% off and I had another coupon I needed to burn, so I ordered it. If it's legit, I am going to freak out (and likely get a few).

This is what it's supposed to be. Titanium for comfort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So another watch came up on wish, so I saved it. Then (as it often happens) it showed up on the blitz buy 5% off and I had another coupon I needed to burn, so I ordered it. If it's legit, I am going to freak out (and likely get a few).

This is what it's supposed to be. Titanium for comfort.

dentist watch monkey dot com