Quantcast

***Wednesday derpday***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Day two of training and free lunch, woo.

Then free lunch tomorrow, woo.

Then another free lunch some other time, woo.

Oh and ride night........trying fat biking, apparently up north is still baked in with snow.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What are you leaning towards?
Definitely the Fiskars. I checked some axes out at my LHS last night and the fiskars product was well designed...light in the right places and heavy at the head. Also super sharp right out of the box. It seemed easily worth the premium over the made in mexico, barely glued together alternatives...and even a 4.5lb rapid maul seemed way heavier overall than the fiskars. I like that it's so light- I can probably "misuse" it for other jobs, like taking out some limbs or chopping little trees, instead of buying two or three axes. I might get a hatchet or small axe still, just to have as a companion.

The one I checked out was the 36" super splitting axe, which appears to be the x27 without the orange grippy handle. I'll probably swing by the depot to get the orange one for $3 more, as I like the idea of knowing where sharp objects are when I have kids around.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i've got the x17 hatchet. it's nice.

and yea, they are super sharp right off the bat and hold an edge surprisingly well.
If I'm only buying a hatchet, I can get a bit more dentisty....but I can go to the local hardware store and grab the x27, so that's a no brainer. No need to waste time waiting for a weird rare axe designed in NYC built from steel out of alabama and free range hickory that had civil war bullets embedded in it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Garage organization is going, but slowly. With Hannah's room being over the garage that limit's my ability to use power tools once she goes down at 6:30pm. Found somebody to buy the workbench tonight, so that gives me a bunch more space back for cars and I can get my bikes back up again.

I'm debating putting the ski box in the backyard for the summer, but also ceiling mounting it using those bike pulleys so I can store skis and such in it. Anybody have recommendations for good, cheap ski racks? Preferably ceiling mounted.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
. Anybody have recommendations for good, cheap ski racks? Preferably ceiling mounted.
drill some 6" long pieces of 1x2s into ceiling joists, drill another piece of 1x2 into the bottom of those. Do this 2x, at 1/2 the length of your skis, and slide your skis in. easy & clean. or am I missing something. (like perhaps a monocle?)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
drill some 6" long pieces of 1x2s into ceiling joists, drill another piece of 1x2 into the bottom of those. Do this 2x, at 1/2 the length of your skis, and slide your skis in. easy & clean. or am I missing something. (like perhaps a monocle?)
That's what I'm looking for. Simple and cheap is my preference. Thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm debating putting the ski box in the backyard for the summer, but also ceiling mounting it using those bike pulleys so I can store skis and such in it. Anybody have recommendations for good, cheap ski racks? Preferably ceiling mounted.
for my cargo box i actually DIY'd a wall mount solution with 2x4's. text me a reminder later tonight and i'll take a picture for you. i wound up doing something nearly identical for my hitch rack.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Bryce Canyon today then scooting before the snow rolls in. They are forecasting 7-17” at higher elevations. Was definitely not expecting that.