Quantcast

weds gfmt

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
west coast coastal tour in july....one lookout booked....never flown into san diego before....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Already feeling the need for allergy pills now that the temps are above freezing. I actually get drowsy from not taking the pills.

My commuter bike is worn down. Well the drive train is. I ideally I drop the front derailleur, go narrow wide as I do not need the gears and much easier to keep clean. I also have a in better shape X9 derailleur that just needs a lower pully but the current derailleur needs new pullies anyway as they are totally worn down.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Finished putting the subfloor on my landings yesterday. Quite happy with how they turned out. They are now solid, supported, and insulated.

Now to begin the march up the stairs with risers, treads, and skirt boards.

1000004793.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Started applying for other positions externally and internally. The internal positions are under the management umbrella of my prior role or our Personal Capital acquisition, so no longer in the government management silo. I think this is the "worst case scenario" that my boss was concerned about, because I had a meeting show up on my calendar with him and our VP.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Already feeling the need for allergy pills now that the temps are above freezing. I actually get drowsy from not taking the pills.

My commuter bike is worn down. Well the drive train is. I ideally I drop the front derailleur, go narrow wide as I do not need the gears and much easier to keep clean. I also have a in better shape X9 derailleur that just needs a lower pully but the current derailleur needs new pullies anyway as they are totally worn down.
What speed gearing? I have a short and a long cage 9 speed sitting in spares that I need to get rid of.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. Started applying for other positions externally and internally. The internal positions are under the management umbrella of my prior role or our Personal Capital acquisition, so no longer in the government management silo. I think this is the "worst case scenario" that my boss was concerned about, because I had a meeting show up on my calendar with him and our VP.
draft a resignation letter, don't sign it, and keep it on you for the meeting. just in case.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
draft a resignation letter, don't sign it, and keep it on you for the meeting. just in case.
All of the benefits are through me. I'm also massively ADA sheltered. I have no fears for my job, if that's what you're implying. We have to inform our boss if we are applying for another role, which is what I did - I just happened to do it within 24hrs of then passing me by.

We do not have the capacity to lose an advisor - there are SLAs that if not met will cost substantial amounts of money. We just had 1 of 4 advisors go onto FMLA for 5 weeks and I'm now #2 at risk of leaving short notice. We run with zero excess capacity and it takes 4-6mos to train somebody. I'm not really concerned.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Had a family funeral yesterday. Nothing sad as it was my grandmas sister. I didn't see her in the past 20 years but holly fucking shitballs the thing I learned about that part of my family.

Apparently that family line has a lady who literally accidentally boiled her childs head because she was drunk and her husband is convicted for manslaughter for drunkenly beating someone to death with some other dudes.That's in a family part where I already knew were 2 heroin addicts with jail time for their creative approach to others people posessions and a pedophile who commited suicide.

The hills really do have eyes in that part of the family. Not planning to revisit soon

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All of the benefits are through me. I'm also massively ADA sheltered. I have no fears for my job, if that's what you're implying. We have to inform our boss if we are applying for another role, which is what I did - I just happened to do it within 24hrs of then passing me by.

We do not have the capacity to lose an advisor - there are SLAs that if not met will cost substantial amounts of money. We just had 1 of 4 advisors go onto FMLA for 5 weeks and I'm now #2 at risk of leaving short notice. We run with zero excess capacity and it takes 4-6mos to train somebody. I'm not really concerned.
my point is just go in there like this:

1706711406982.png

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Had a family funeral yesterday. Nothing sad as it was my grandmas sister. I didn't see her in the past 20 years but holly fucking shitballs the thing I learned about that part of my family.

Apparently that family line has a lady who literally accidentally boiled her childs head because she was drunk and her husband is convicted for manslaughter for drunkenly beating someone to death with some other dudes.That's in a family part where I already knew were 2 heroin addicts with jail time for their creative approach to others people posessions and a pedophile who commited suicide.

The hills really do have eyes in that part of the family. Not planning to revisit soon
Sometimes I wonder if the estrangement of my family is a bad thing then I remember reconnecting with my favorite cousin from childhood and he's a bitter incel.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

How's this release going? It's a shit show. I'm scrambling and it sucks. I didn't have time to prepare for this, I have the "other" project bitching that I'm too busy to care (and he's right) and we would like to release tomorrow. Fuck me, what a mess. I have already outlined a number of epic failures that could have been avoided. This isn't how quality software gets built.

I was really happy with the tacos yesterday. I can't believe I hadn't gotten any yet, but the burrito is really that good as well. So at least coming to the office has one redeeming quality.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Landlord has officially entered dickbag territory.

As a little backstory, at the back of the property is a large 2 story workshop thing, complete with concrete slab and electricity. When we toured the place and negotiated, it was known and upfront that it needed to be redone or renovated. But for working on bikes and for storage, its fine. This is the important bit - initially they weren't in favour of letting us use it, but we negotiated to pay a little extra with the lease for it. It was also understood by both parties that they'd redo it. This was at the start of 2020.

Fast forward to last fall and we had been using it for 4 years. All of a sudden they want to start working on it, so the landlords built one of those plastic popup sheds, which is I'd guess about 10'x12'. We're told we need to empty the workshop. Its obvious to me that its a physical impossibility of fitting everything into that pop up shed; we're talking multiple bikes, two sets of winter tires for vehicles, tools, lawn mower etc etc etc etc. The crap is overflowing - we have stuff in the attic storage now and some stuff like motor oil bottles and others are just left outside to frolic with the trash pandas.

Once the snow and cold came, they of course stopped working on the shed. After a month of them not showing up on the weekends, I put our lawn mower and a bike box into the shed. A few weeks after this (around Christmas) the landlord came to grab something from the shed and noticed our stuff in there - I was leaving to go for a ride so said hello and he said something like "if you're going in there just be careful and don't spend time in there. its fine to put a few things in there as we won't be back until the spring".

Okay - after that I ended up disassembling my busted fat bike and put the frame and wheels in there. So now we're up to 5 items; a pair of bike wheels, bike frame, bike box and a lawn mower.

Now the dick bag part. Yesterday he came again (I was at work, girlfriend at home), to drop some stuff off. He ended up knocking on the door and saying we're not allowed in there, he said that he told me not to put stuff in the shop and that he is considering changing the locks to it. What a god damn liar. He said none of that stuff previously to me, other than to not be working in there (which I haven't been).

Its just super frustrating as these dudes have taken 4+ years to renovate the stupid shed and built a tiny plastic shed as a supplement. I should note that they built a wood framed and gravel filled foundation for that shed too, its not something temporary, so I've always had a hunch that there are some ulterior motives in play here - as in they are renovating and will end up not allowing us to use it in the end, after all this.

It might seem like a minor thing, but man its frustrating to have an agreement with someone and then they just no show on it. So its been almost 6 months of us not being able to use the shed, which is something we're paying for through our lease.

Anyways, tldr; coffee'ing it now. Cat space lasers.

/endrant

Also, on a vpn to Europe and apparently home depot is blocking access. :think:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Passed this place on my way in to work today:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sometimes I wonder if the estrangement of my family is a bad thing then I remember reconnecting with my favorite cousin from childhood and he's a bitter incel.
I think a bitter incel is still a better option than child boiling enthusiast wife to a murderer.

Then again my friends brother was a contrarian, edgeboy who bought a swastika to spite his parents so yeah. People wonder why I prefer having friends to having a family.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Landlord has officially entered dickbag territory.

As a little backstory, at the back of the property is a large 2 story workshop thing, complete with concrete slab and electricity. When we toured the place and negotiated, it was known and upfront that it needed to be redone or renovated. But for working on bikes and for storage, its fine. This is the important bit - initially they weren't in favour of letting us use it, but we negotiated to pay a little extra with the lease for it. It was also understood by both parties that they'd redo it. This was at the start of 2020.

Fast forward to last fall and we had been using it for 4 years. All of a sudden they want to start working on it, so the landlords built one of those plastic popup sheds, which is I'd guess about 10'x12'. We're told we need to empty the workshop. Its obvious to me that its a physical impossibility of fitting everything into that pop up shed; we're talking multiple bikes, two sets of winter tires for vehicles, tools, lawn mower etc etc etc etc. The crap is overflowing - we have stuff in the attic storage now and some stuff like motor oil bottles and others are just left outside to frolic with the trash pandas.

Once the snow and cold came, they of course stopped working on the shed. After a month of them not showing up on the weekends, I put our lawn mower and a bike box into the shed. A few weeks after this (around Christmas) the landlord came to grab something from the shed and noticed our stuff in there - I was leaving to go for a ride so said hello and he said something like "if you're going in there just be careful and don't spend time in there. its fine to put a few things in there as we won't be back until the spring".

Okay - after that I ended up disassembling my busted fat bike and put the frame and wheels in there. So now we're up to 5 items; a pair of bike wheels, bike frame, bike box and a lawn mower.

Now the dick bag part. Yesterday he came again (I was at work, girlfriend at home), to drop some stuff off. He ended up knocking on the door and saying we're not allowed in there, he said that he told me not to put stuff in the shop and that he is considering changing the locks to it. What a god damn liar. He said none of that stuff previously to me, other than to not be working in there (which I haven't been).

Its just super frustrating as these dudes have taken 4+ years to renovate the stupid shed and built a tiny plastic shed as a supplement. I should note that they built a wood framed and gravel filled foundation for that shed too, its not something temporary, so I've always had a hunch that there are some ulterior motives in play here - as in they are renovating and will end up not allowing us to use it in the end, after all this.

It might seem like a minor thing, but man its frustrating to have an agreement with someone and then they just no show on it. So its been almost 6 months of us not being able to use the shed, which is something we're paying for through our lease.

Anyways, tldr; coffee'ing it now. Cat space lasers.

/endrant

Also, on a vpn to Europe and apparently home depot is blocking access. :think:
is your usage of the out structure written into your lease? any documented terms on the renovation or just verbal?

not sure how laws are in Canada, but most regions in the US landlords cannot just show up and access a rental unit without prior notice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wife seems to be trying to get herself fired from work. not thrilled, personally, as bonuses haven't been handed out yet and our industry is clearly in a recession. I want to support her as I know her current job kind of sucks, but I also want her to tough it out for another month before yeeting her career off a bridge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wife seems to be trying to get herself fired from work. not thrilled, personally, as bonuses haven't been handed out yet and our industry is clearly in a recession. I want to support her as I know her current job kind of sucks, but I also want her to tough it out for another month before yeeting her career off a bridge.
eh? i'm pretty sure it's illegal to hold out a bonus for a prior year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I believe this is true. In fact, prior to quitting my last job and confirmed with HR that my timing would *not* impact me receiving the prior year bonus. Although perhaps it's a state/local rule? I'd have her confirm with her company...
i know with the layoffs we had last year because the termination date was so late in the year they were still entitled to their full bonus

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh? i'm pretty sure it's illegal to hold out a bonus for a prior year.
Interesting, and reassuring- somewhat. Her company is crumbling and most people are probably going to bail after bonuses are handed out, but it would still be nice to not FA and FO until after the cash is in hand, especially with a company that has a track record of wrongful termination lawsuits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting, and reassuring- somewhat. Her company is crumbling and most people are probably going to bail after bonuses are handed out, but it would still be nice to not FA and FO until after the cash is in hand, especially with a company that has a track record of wrongful termination lawsuits.
that's not an unreasonable thing to be concerned about.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
"please stop using reply all"

:replies all:
We had that several times at the old job, which had a bigger headcount. One time it came from parent-company HR (or something like that) and it was divisions of people doing it.

Seriously. After this reply all email nobody should reply all again.

: series of reply all emails in agreement:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
is your usage of the out structure written into your lease? any documented terms on the renovation or just verbal?

not sure how laws are in Canada, but most regions in the US landlords cannot just show up and access a rental unit without prior notice.
I believe it was written into the original lease. We had an agreement with them to use half the shop, as they were using the other half for storage. Its the size of a large two car garage, plus a 2nd level so it wasn't a huge deal.

Them going in there isn't even the problem, its just the fact that he told me one thing and then flipped that around when talking to the girlfriend. And the fact that they are too fuckin' blind to see that 30 pounds of shit can't be squeezed into a 10 pound bag (ie, that little shed they built).

Its just a piss off. If I was here I would have called him out on it, but then again its a sticky situation. We don't want them to find a way legally evict us - the rental situation here in Toronto is complete dogshit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy ppls

reading ultrasounds today. pleasant e-bike spin in along Sand Creek in 35 Freedoms or so