Quantcast

Weight Weenies...

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Wow that is light. Well done Andre it looks amazing. Nice meeting you last weekend in Oxford. Can't wait untill the 07's come in.

-J.R.
Northeast Sovereign

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ISIS BB's are weak. Either way you look at it the bearings are tiny and they break easily. I have a low BB and like to pedal, **** breaks. Also I don't sit down while I ride but if you do hit a landing hard and get slammed those seats will break. And when you smack pedals into the ground your cranks get bent, middleburns aren't any stronger than anything else. Basically ISIS is useless for downhill and anyone still running it needs to look into upgrading to an external setup.
Isis is FINE, It worked for years. While it maybe not as good as exo stuff, the isis is good enough for me. The Ibeam seats hold up just fine, I raraly hit the seat hard so its kind of a non issue. Middleburns have a LIFETIME warentee against bending, so this BS about middleburns are week is kinda lame, even if some ones lard ass does bend them middleburn will replace them.

As for the dual Ti egg beaters I am running, there are TINY, I amlost never bash them into rocks and the spindle is still stainless so I am not worried about them breaking.

Just because you break stuff and think that you are smooth doesn't mean people can't get away with running light stuff

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Ok, well your bike is 36 pounds, I would change a few things but it seems very reasonable. The Montashu's bike is stupid, he started with a heavier frame than you did and put on parts that would scare most XC racers.

I seem to have lots of trouble with ISIS bottom brackets. I broke 5 the first season I rode DH and broke 2 this season on my trailbike. My external BB is pretty much dead but still rideable. Although I twisted my external crank arms up and bent them out.

And I realize I can't snap the rails on an ifly, I can however crack the rail.
The only thing I skimped on is rims, THATS IT, but I have a second wheelset for thrashing.

eatson al bars, syntace DH stem, stainless spindle on the pedals, the single ply tires still work fine for me.

The only reason I am running a V10 is cause it was either that or a demo..

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Isis is FINE, It worked for years. While it maybe not as good as exo stuff, the isis is good enough for me. The Ibeam seats hold up just fine, I raraly hit the seat hard so its kind of a non issue. Middleburns have a LIFETIME warentee against bending, so this BS about middleburns are week is kinda lame, even if some ones lard ass does bend them middleburn will replace them.

As for the dual Ti egg beaters I am running, there are TINY, I amlost never bash them into rocks and the spindle is still stainless so I am not worried about them breaking.

Just because you break stuff and think that you are smooth doesn't mean people can't get away with running light stuff
Yeah, middleburns aren't week at all. They are however weak. They are no stronger than anything else out there and the warranty doesn't even cover threads or splines. One of the majot problems with ISIS is that the splines wear out and then the cranks are loose.

You skimp on plenty of parts, you can't be going that fast if you aren't destroying your wheels and flatting every run. That is my point. The faster you go the more parts you break. I can't think of anyone that is at all quick that would even feel comfortable riding your bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, middleburns aren't week at all. They are however weak. They are no stronger than anything else out there and the warranty doesn't even cover threads or splines. One of the majot problems with ISIS is that the splines wear out and then the cranks are loose.

You skimp on plenty of parts, you can't be going that fast if you aren't destroying your wheels and flatting every run. That is my point. The faster you go the more parts you break. I can't think of anyone that is at all quick that would even feel comfortable riding your bike.
Tell that to Steve Peat. He was on a 33# Orange for a while.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005

talk about being redundant.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
BS.
Steve Peat is a big guy. I don't believe you could build a 33# bike that would last one run under a guy his size.
I believe it was 34. But it is completely true.

bballe- please, stop talking out of your ass. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it wont work for someone else. If someone wants to drop alot of coin on expensive parts so be it. Its their money, not yours.

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
dont compare stuff to pros, completely different situations.... best in the world......average rider..... no comparison. anything is possible with in means, go spend 10 grand on wheels for a whole season so you can replace them everypractice day like peat does to retain the lightness....

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
bballe- please, stop talking out of your ass. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it wont work for someone else. If someone wants to drop alot of coin on expensive parts so be it. Its their money, not yours.
Whatever, I'll just laugh when his bike explodes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That wasn't my point at all. My point was some pros get pretty insane in the weight loss department.

Do you really have to take on the defensive persona when discussing weight, even when I'm actually semi-agreeing with you.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
That wasn't my point at all. My point was some pros get pretty insane in the weight loss department.

Do you really have to take on the defensive persona when discussing weight, even when I'm actually semi-agreeing with you.
I was agreeing with you. It is pretty crazy.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Some pros also shave material off the insides of their hubs and run 3 rotor bolts. But we all would if our bikes were being completely rebuilt every 2 weeks or less.
I have been running 3 rotor bolts on my dh bike all year with absolutely no problems. I would run 6, i just dont have 6 more to put on my bike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I run 4, just cause thats what I had.

Pros bikes are a terrible comparison. I know Peats bike had thinner tubing, and he'd kill it fairly quick. One reason I respect Iron Horse is that I beleive Sam is on a stock frame. What you see is what you get. I beleive its the US made one, but still, its not some one off ridicubike that costs $3853249523.58. Gotta respect that.

Also shows that theres more to winning then just a light bike. ;)

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Guess the propoganda machine is in full swing, I heard 40.

Who knows. He'd be fast on an 84 pound shopping cart.
IH claim the 07 World Cup is 39.2 as stock, by the time you swap out the tubes from DH tubes to XC ones, and the rear tyre to a 2.35 you'd get a pound off, and then a ti spring and an LG1 and you'd hit 37 easily. So 36 is beleiveable. Even then, those rims would die pretty quickly, but it'd still be rideable.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

I only get alot of flats when I ride downieville, and I throw on DH tires then. More important in a wheel build than the rim is the wheel builder, and my wheels were built by one of the best wheel builders there are. I have a set of outlaws that I TRASHED in literaly 2 rides, while my 5.1s on the other hand are holding up fine.

O an I do break stuff, I snaped an isis spindle, tore the b ead off of a sidewall on a tire, and bent a frame.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
IH claim the 07 World Cup is 39.2 as stock, by the time you swap out the tubes from DH tubes to XC ones, and the rear tyre to a 2.35 you'd get a pound off, and then a ti spring and an LG1 and you'd hit 37 easily. So 36 is beleiveable. Even then, those rims would die pretty quickly, but it'd still be rideable.
And the boat anchor cranks it comes with.

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Some pros also shave material off the insides of their hubs and run 3 rotor bolts. But we all would if our bikes were being completely rebuilt every 2 weeks or less.
Isn't the 3 rotor bolt thing for easier removal of the rotor or something along those lines? Oh well, how much weight loss was there, 50g max?