Quantcast

Weight Weenies...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
someone delete this thread PLEASE!!!!!!
Why is the fact you don't like weight weenies a reason to get a thread deleted? Just because I don't like overbuilt bikes doesn't mean I can go into the BMW thread and ask to get it deleted.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I don't like these THREADS because...

- there has already been a million of them.

- they are all the same thing over and over.

- people don't post enough riding pics/vids.

I would rather see pictures of dudes ripping their bikes rather than how much it weighs. Who gives a crap.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yet Sunday threads don't bother you I bet.

I agree though, pics and vids are definately good. But when you're sitting on a forum talking about stuff I think it's an alright thing to talk about.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by dG video
someone delete this thread PLEASE!!!!!!
you know for a guy that has a fairly light build on his sunday wc you sure do complain a lot about weight weenies. (i appologize if you have gotten a different setup, or bike) it just seems to me that your an undercover weight weenie and refuse to admit it.

personally i like these threads. yeh you have the guys calling you out on the final weight, but when someone acctually post pics and specs and final weight of there rigs it gives me ideas of what to do with mine, and gives me insperation for my next rig. ohh and mine is at 44lbs. deffinatly not a weight weenie bike, but i have plans to make it that way.:cheers:

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
you know for a guy that has a fairly light build on his sunday wc you sure do complain a lot about weight weenies. (i appologize if you have gotten a different setup, or bike) it just seems to me that your an undercover weight weenie and refuse to admit it.

personally i like these threads. yeh you have the guys calling you out on the final weight, but when someone acctually post pics and specs and final weight of there rigs it gives me ideas of what to do with mine, and gives me insperation for my next rig. ohh and mine is at 44lbs. deffinatly not a weight weenie bike, but i have plans to make it that way.:cheers:
I run the build my bike came with. When I broke parts I got stronger ones. How am I a weight weenie?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
because an 06 wc weighs in at around 40-41 lbs. thats a pretty light build for someone who doesnt call themselves a weight weenie, or atleast in my opinion.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
because an 06 wc weighs in at around 40-41 lbs. thats a pretty light build for someone who doesnt call themselves a weight weenie, or atleast in my opinion.
Its the build my bike came with. I got rid of the crap DT rims and put on 729's. Juicy's for preference, NYC pedals. And Michelin tires for preference.

I don't mind weight weenies, but I do think that spending too much time worrying about how light your bike is takes the fun away from riding. I just have to laugh when dudes running carbon bars snap them. (that is of course if they don't die)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I'm not against people trying to go lighter with their bikes...but it would be interesting to see a thread asking how much weight could the individual riders lose? Now you're talking about real performance gains....D

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I'm not against people trying to go lighter with their bikes...but it would be interesting to see a thread asking how much weight could the individual riders lose? Now you're talking about real performance gains....D

I would probably win! :cheers:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
being a weightweenie, i'm happy to see threads like this - but post a pic of your ride along with the weight.... makes it more enjoyable, and also interesting to see the part choices you've made. :)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
My bike is a tank. I'd love to have a light and flickable bike, but I'm a brokenbikeochondriac. I need to have all the beef below me to make me not worry. So instead I need to get stronger so it feels light and flickable.

My buddy's uzzi weighed in at like 43 lbs, mine feels way heavier :( My girlfriends Giant AC is like 39.9 lbs and it feels like an xc bike under me

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
39.5 pounds, and there's still another pound to lose easy if I had the cash for saint cranks and ti spring
loose weight with saint cranks. i don't think so. go XT or atleast Hone. hell go with some middleburns

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I don't mind the Weight Weenie threads, BUT:

This thread has been done before, and I think it was like 10 pages long.

Guys - go easy on the MorewoodKid - he's got a lot of energy and I dig that. I spoke with him in a few PM's and he seems pretty intelligent.

It's a newb mistake, but just to re-iterate: Before you post or ask a question - try doing a Search first. This place has TONS of info on damn near everything - very useful.

No biggie.
:)

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMontashu
35.5 and it hopefully will get down to 34 by the end of winter.
Believe it or not in the big Weight Weenie thread, V 1.1 about a year ago, he showed a pic of his V-10 on a digi scale and it was confirmed, that his ride is the real deal. He's got Ti everything, Sapim bladed spokes, UST tubeless, Boxxer Air WC... it's nuts.

How he can race it DH without it disintigrating is beyond me....:biggrin:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I can show you a picture of me standing on a digital scale showing that i weigh 32 pounds too. Its called improperly calibrated scale. Its a fun game I play.

Nearly everything on my bike is as light, if not lighter, and mine weighs 40 pounds. Thats starting with a lighter frame too.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I agreed on his weight long before he showed a proof pic. Why can't people (cough dropmachine cough) understand that DH bikes can be built that light?

V10 doesn't automatically mean heavy. The frames weigh 11lbs with dhx/steel making them reasonable, and lighter than an m3/sunday/turner out of the box.

Kit it out like he did and you've got a pretty good shot at a superlight bike. Don't think I agree with some of the choices (EX5.1D rims...) but most of it was pretty good.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I should add, theres nothing wrong with gear threads, or threads on weight. For some, its part of the fun. Its like guys that tinker with cars I guess.

The thing that sucks is posting up obvious bull**** weights. Thats just annoying.

Cue somebody posting thier 14 pound appalache.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I agreed on his weight long before he showed a proof pic. Why can't people (cough dropmachine cough) understand that DH bikes can be built that light?

V10 doesn't automatically mean heavy. The frames weigh 11lbs with dhx/steel making them reasonable, and lighter than an m3/sunday/turner out of the box.

Kit it out like he did and you've got a pretty good shot at a superlight bike. Don't think I agree with some of the choices (EX5.1D rims...) but most of it was pretty good.
You don't get it.

Look at my bike. Industry nine wheels. Tubeless hutchinsons. 5" thomson post. Ti spring. e13 stem. RaceFace Atlas cranks. Tell me again that I don't understand the concept of a light bike.

My point is that theres light bikes, which is cool, and then there stupid weight claims, which just annoys the hell out of me. Save that gloating bull**** for the lockerroom. Its lame.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
You don't get it.

Look at my bike. Industry nine wheels. Tubeless hutchinsons. 5" thomson post. Ti spring. e13 stem. RaceFace Atlas cranks. Tell me again that I don't understand the concept of a light bike.

My point is that theres light bikes, which is cool, and then there stupid weight claims, which just annoys the hell out of me. Save that gloating bull**** for the lockerroom. Its lame.

... yeah but - isn't that kinda the point of "How Much Does Your Bike Weigh?", threads???

:biggrin:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Easton EC50 bars ( i think he ment ec70? 170g), Syntace stem (105g? depending on which one), Egg beater double ti pedals, FSA TI BB, Formula Oro Puro, Middleburn cranks, 5.1 rims, 2.35" tire, Alloy nipples, Sapim spokes.

I've only seen one crappy picture of his bike and it looked like the tire was touching the ground but the parts he has listed there (if thats what he really has on there) then it is possible. Some of the parts seem like a disaster waiting to happen to me

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well all i've ever seen him do is post his bike, specs, and then a picture of it on the scales. Something tells me he isn't too fussed about this issue.

You on the other hand start getting upset everytime he posts up his weight (in at least a few previous threads, and i'm not a regular here).... I say save that for the lockerroom.

I can see what you're getting at (I just noticed his 36lbs pic was with a fox40 and a few other heavy bits - your bike definitely looks lighter) but at the end of the day to me it doesn't sound like he's gloating - not anywhere near as much as you seem to be whining anyway.

Are your scales calibrated? I wonder if your bike should weigh in lighter than it does. And out of curiosity - what does the frame weigh (with dhx/steel)?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You don't get it.

I have middleburns, a Ti XC BB, a carbon Ibeam saddle, a 5 inch post.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Well all i've ever seen him do is post his bike, specs, and then a picture of it on the scales. Something tells me he isn't too fussed about this issue.

You on the other hand start getting upset everytime he posts up his weight (in at least a few previous threads, and i'm not a regular here).... I say save that for the lockerroom.

I can see what you're getting at (I just noticed his 36lbs pic was with a fox40 and a few other heavy bits - your bike definitely looks lighter) but at the end of the day to me it doesn't sound like he's gloating - not anywhere near as much as you seem to be whining anyway.

Are your scales calibrated? I wonder if your bike should weigh in lighter than it does. And out of curiosity - what does the frame weigh (with dhx/steel)?
40s are pretty light, its something like 6.7 pounds. The scale was dead on what fox was claiming for the weight of the 40, and I took a 10 pound weight and it was exactly 10.0 pounds

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

It weighed 39 pounds like that (with jacksh!t pedals instead of those in the pic)

Now:
-it has e-13 guide (only 1 out of the 2 chainrings that were on there and the shifter/front der. are off)
-romic double D shock
-Nevegals, most commonly used tires ( 2.5 and 2.35 wire bead, 2.35 and 2.1 kevlar bead)
-Made in China sticker

I'm not sure how much it weighs now.