Quantcast

Weird foods in your region

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
A couple nights ago on Diners drive-ins and dives a local Pizza joint was showcased and one of the foods was stuffed banana peppers that Guy Fieri said were a Buffalo/Western New York thing? They are typically stuffed with a cheese blend or sausage.

I thought it was weird then it got me thinking about other foods and drinks that are local to our area that I have noticed while traveling. Anyone have any they know about in your area?

Some here are:

Loganberry-Beverage
Sponge candy
Beef on weck
Vodka tea

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Fried pickles...although I don't think these are weird, they are plain awesome.
Goober Burger...Hamburger served with peanut butter. Not tried it myself.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
None of the above mentioned stuff sounds weird to me.

In PA, scrapple is the weirdest thing I've ever seen and it should be outlawed.

In my part time residence of southern MD, Old Bay goes on everything.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
ok not weird food, just stuff that is pretty normal in your area but not heard of or hard to find eslewhere. Like the garbage plate in Rochester that Jonkranked mentioned. I live 70 miles from rochester and I know of 1 place that has a garbage plate and it sucks compared to the real deal.

Trenton, NJ- Pork roll/Taylor Ham

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
One thing this area lacks that is plentiful both in my home town and in Portland are Taco Trucks.

Portland has Cart Row among other areas, but food from a truck or cart in Portland is often the best food. One of the carts in Cart Row (Real Taste of India) was voted best Indian food in Portland. Truly awesome Indian food for $5.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
butter burgers
(yes butter is spread on the bun in place of mayo)
lots of weird sausages, kishka, brunswagger, etc....
pickled herring
lutefisk (in some parts of the state)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Buffalo has got many other unique foods. A perch or haddock fish fry comes to mind. John and Marys Sausage Hoagie, Mighty Taco Taco's are unlike any Taco's I have ever had anywhere. Fresh Kielbasy and pierogies from the Polish Villa. Bocci club pizza, LaNovas gets an honorable mention because that's my hood! Buffalo food rocks... Honorable mention also goes out to Pittsburgh PA and Toronto Lots of good eats in both towns....

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
butter burgers
(yes butter is spread on the bun in place of mayo)
A local bar where I went to school in WV served their burgers with the buns buttered and grilled. tasty.

I live near Charlotte and have been told about livermush. I've seen it in the grocery store...looks like it could be rotten moldy spam. I have no idea what it is and don't really want to find out.

When I lived near Boston there were fluffernutters.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I forgot about the fish fry.

John&Mary's is great! I think they have the BEST chicken finger sub! My wife and I love sharing a sub there, they give you chips and a pickle with each half. Walking distance from my new house and no open container law in the Village where I live = AWESOME!

I'm not a big fan of the the Mighty Taco. I prefer the taco joints in Colorado.

I was also going to mention Ted's charcoal grilled hot dogs. Most places either steam them or cook on a flat top.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Buffalo has got many other unique foods. A perch or haddock fish fry comes to mind. John and Marys Sausage Hoagie, Mighty Taco Taco's are unlike any Taco's I have ever had anywhere. Fresh Kielbasy and pierogies from the Polish Villa. Bocci club pizza, LaNovas gets an honorable mention because that's my hood! Buffalo food rocks... Honorable mention also goes out to Pittsburgh PA and Toronto Lots of good eats in both towns....
While Buffalo does have a lot of Polish immigrants residing in the region - you can find kickass polish food all over. Right here in Downtown Hartford we have the Polish National Home and they have the most kickass pierogies, kielbasa and saurkraut I've ever had. So good!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Chili beer.
Lots of interesting Mexican food.

I really can't think of any unique regional food in Phoenix, simply because the majority of people here are from other states, so we see it all.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Here in southwestern PA we have gobs. Found in many different forms... chocolate, pumpkin, banana, devils, and ice cream.

Also Primanti Brothers

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Must be a great lakes thing. I love fried perch & walleye. :drool:
Friday Night Fish Fry dinners are a big thing in Western NY - my parents use to make us kids go to the local VFW Post (Doud Post) for Fish Fry Dinner. They'd order up a couple of manhattans, and we'd get cokes, then we'd wait and then once seated we'd have Fish Fry dinners with cole slaw and french fries, and then "Mexican Sundaes" for dessert. The Mexican Sundae was just vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup on top and some Mexican Peanuts.

The food was good, but as I got older I hated having to wait for my parents to finish eating and chatting with friends as it delayed my time going out with friends.

But now that I look back on those dinners - they were actually pretty cool in their own unique way.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Down here seriously the weirdest I know of people eating are:

Fried Bologna
Pickled Eggs
Potted Meat/Vienna Sausages at EVERY lunch
Poke Salad
Rabbit Kidneys

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Chili beer.
Lots of interesting Mexican food.

I really can't think of any unique regional food in Phoenix, simply because the majority of people here are from other states, so we see it all.
Same with So Cal. The mexicans eat some pretty weird stuff, but we have weird food from all over.

Not weird but two things I can think of that are semi unique to so cal are In N Out burger and Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Same with So Cal. The mexicans eat some pretty weird stuff, but we have weird food from all over.

Not weird but two things I can think of that are semi unique to so cal are In N Out burger and Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles.
In N Out is getting big out here now.

We don't have Roscoes, but we have LoLo's. I have yet to go there, but its supposed to be awesome. They opened a 2nd one, so its growing. I think Stinkyboy posted something about it on here awhile ago.

Where I lived in Vermont, we had "sugar on snow parties". They'd take pans and go out and pack them with fresh snow. Then, you'd drizzle fresh maple syrup on the snow, it would of course freeze, then you'd twirl it with a fork and eat it. We had homemade cider donuts and hot chocolate with it. I've never heard of it outside our little town, although I'm sure its been done.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Here in southwestern PA we have gobs. Found in many different forms... chocolate, pumpkin, banana, devils, and ice cream.

Also Primanti Brothers

Primanti's is effin awesome. I order a side of coleslaw everytime I go there. Best Coleslaw ever.....

Montreal smoked meat is nasty. Considering that if your in Montreal you can get real Italian Deli here: http://www.benitoinc.com/ Poutine is gods way of saying Montreal we forgive you for your indiscretions.

Fried Walleye is awesome. I used to get them when I was a little kid. I think they may be fished out around here.....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
A place just opened up around the corner from work that has chicken & waffles. The waffles are good, the fried chicken needs work.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Friday Night Fish Fry dinners are a big thing in Western NY - my parents use to make us kids go to the local VFW Post (Doud Post) for Fish Fry Dinner. They'd order up a couple of manhattans, and we'd get cokes, then we'd wait and then once seated we'd have Fish Fry dinners with cole slaw and french fries, and then "Mexican Sundaes" for dessert. The Mexican Sundae was just vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup on top and some Mexican Peanuts.

The food was good, but as I got older I hated having to wait for my parents to finish eating and chatting with friends as it delayed my time going out with friends.

But now that I look back on those dinners - they were actually pretty cool in their own unique way.
We don't have fish fry's around here, but we have Fish N Chips which sounds like the same thing. The Fish is typically right off the boat that day so it's super fresh. Friday's are a big day to go out for fish N Chips. Especially during Lent.