Quantcast

Well guys I was quite a bit off on the V10 wieght, its STUPID LIGHT (Pics on scale)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
gnurider1080 said:
i thought with those scales they had to be hanging for them to provide the correct weight. that way all of the weight of the bike is pulling down on the scale and is not distributed to anything else that the bike could be touching slightly. sorry, but im not buying it just yet.
there is a round part on the perticular scale specificly for allowing you to putting it into a bike stand, allowing you to get an accurate weight.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
I will see how they work as far as gettin in tomaro when I go for a ride. The clip part of the pedal protrudes on the mallets and they never came out from hitting rocks.
In my case I smack the edges of the pedals into the faces of rocks. So with pedals like those I would be unclipping.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Montashu - nice job with the build spec!!!

If your scale is calibrated properly, and everything is on the level with what you are saying, than that is an amazing spec sheet you've got going there.

I have some concerns similar to the ones voiced about the possible sacrifice of weight (and possible strength) for safety. Only time will tell how this build works out for you in the long run.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
TheMontashu said:
I local pro DH guy has literaly BENT cranks in corners and ran a TI BB all season with no issues.

and zutroy the rear is a double wall the front is a single.

Well if it's a Platinum Pro FSA Ti, watch out because if you ride hard and go big it's going to snap and FSA will not warranty it, I sent mine in and they just said that I should have been using a stronger DH model !

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
From an outsider's perspective, this is so bloody juveneile guys.

I have been browsing this forum a little letely, and I saw this bike a while back. Most of you people wouldn't beleive the fellow's claimed weight, and went on with a whole lot of rot such as "I call BS, post a photo on the scale". So what does Montashu do? Posts exactly what you asked for, a picture of the bike on a scale, but still, you are all 'sacre bleu' about it, his scale musn't be calibrated yadda yadda yadda. Get over it. What will it take for you all (by all I mean the disbeleivers) to get off your high horse, and accept that his bike is lighter than yours?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Fly:

I have been browsing this forum a little letely, and I saw this bike a while back. Most of you people wouldn't beleive the fellow's claimed weight, and went on with a whole lot of rot such as "I call BS, post a photo on the scale". So what does Montashu do? Posts exactly what you asked for, a picture of the bike on a scale, but still, you are all 'sacre bleu' about it, his scale musn't be calibrated yadda yadda yadda. Get over it. What will it take for you all (by all I mean the disbeleivers) to get off your high horse, and accept that his bike is lighter than yours?
Lol...

Well put Fly.

Leave it to an Aussie to cut through the bullsh!t...

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Fly said:

I <3 you for that.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The scale he is using is pretty accurate and pricey. To check there is no error you should weigh a single component that every know the weight of like the frame or fork on its own.

Feb 13, 2006
wow, I wish I could take a picture of a scale attached to a bike saddle and then tell everyone that the scale's readout is for the whole bike and not the bike minus the wheels.

Feb 13, 2006
TheMontashu said:
fox 40
DT 440 rear hub with a WTB super duty front
DT 5.1 rims
sapim bladed spokes and alloy nipples
kenda nevegal tires 2.3R and 2.5R
middleburn cranks
FSA TI BB
gammut guide
answer pro taper carbon bars
holsfeller stem (ganna get replaced)
heavy steel seapost on a sella ti XC saddle (Im getting the super light Ibeam saddle and thier post soon)
DHX 5.0 (getting a TI spring soon)
formula puro brakes
dura ace cassete
X9 shifter and rear D (its ganna be XO soon)
and egg beater C pedals (soon to be Egg beater dual tis)
you should try lying a bit harder next time.

I have a lighter build on a Turner 6-Pack and it weighs 34 lbs, with the frame being 4 lbs lighter than yours.

so keep lying.

eedjit child.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow... Just... Wow.

You guys are truly pathetic.

Threads like this are exactly why I don't hang out in the DH forum any more, since it's a bunch of screaming children.

Fly pretty much nailed it... there's always a reason he's lying. Why? Why do you care? Do you guys feel emasculated by it? Do you feel threatened? Jealous, maybe?

All of the above? I think so.

Who cares? Montashu spent a lot of money building up a pretty sweet bike. Let it be. Would it make you feel like your manhood is bigger if you found out it weighed 39lbs instead? :rolleyes:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
binary visions said:
Wow... Just... Wow.

You guys are truly pathetic.

Threads like this are exactly why I don't hang out in the DH forum any more, since it's a bunch of screaming children.

Fly pretty much nailed it... there's always a reason he's lying. Why? Why do you care? Do you guys feel emasculated by it? Do you feel threatened? Jealous, maybe?

All of the above? I think so.

Who cares? Montashu spent a lot of money building up a pretty sweet bike. Let it be. Would it make you feel like your manhood is bigger if you found out it weighed 39lbs instead? :rolleyes:
WORD!!!!!

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
If thats the true weight it would be possible to take it down even further with a air shox and a few other lighter bits.
Im not beleiving it for some reason at that weight

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fly said:

Spot on buddy.
Not sure if i've met you before, but gotta say I feel exactly the same way.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
first off, very nice build. regardless of whether the weight is real (and I'll usually believe a digi scale over my gut feeling), it is a very nice build.

couple of things, have you tried the eggbeaters for DH? I tried a similar product (CB's but they didn't have as tall of a platform as the mallets) and hated it, I didn't realize how much I liked the contact between the lugs on my shoes and the platform of the mallets. To each his/her own, but the small contact of the eggbeater was driving me nuts when I tried to FR on it.

I'd also be concerned about the durability of the single-wall kenda front and what I'm guessing are ultra-lightweight tubes (you're not doing Stan's, right??), along with the lightweight wheelset.

Otherwise, nice bike!

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Aww man I love all the guys that like add up the weight of every part and try to dispute the weight of the bike. You guys must have a serious case of penis envy or something. Does it really matter how much another mans' bike weighs?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dante said:
first off, very nice build. regardless of whether the weight is real (and I'll usually believe a digi scale over my gut feeling), it is a very nice build.

couple of things, have you tried the eggbeaters for DH? I tried a similar product (CB's but they didn't have as tall of a platform as the mallets) and hated it, I didn't realize how much I liked the contact between the lugs on my shoes and the platform of the mallets. To each his/her own, but the small contact of the eggbeater was driving me nuts when I tried to FR on it.

I'd also be concerned about the durability of the single-wall kenda front and what I'm guessing are ultra-lightweight tubes (you're not doing Stan's, right??), along with the lightweight wheelset.

Otherwise, nice bike!
I agree. It does not matter what his bike weighs. What is it to anybody else?
But the first thing I would do that bike is throw on some Mallet M's.
I think you are racing beginner DH, and I can tell you from experience you are gonna want a platform for your foot when you have to dab in hairy sections. This is just a safety issue, you can ride the Mallets like a flat pedal until you get your foot back in.
As far your wheels, I have no clue, as I do weigh way more than you, but I can tell you those rims are strong, and Dt is actually recommending them for DH right now. I have them on my SX, and they are nice, and I have another set on the way for my Demo.
If I were you, I would get the DT tubeless kit for those rims, then you can run some real DH tires and it will still be light, and will be a helluva lot safer than running some single walled Kenda that is could self-destruct at any time like Tom Cruise.

J

JRB

I like the bike, bro. His bike is lighter than you think because mine is heavier than you think. :think:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
konastab01 said:
If thats the true weight it would be possible to take it down even further with a air shox and a few other lighter bits.
Im not beleiving it for some reason at that weight
They don't make a DHX air in a 8.75 by 2.75

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
dante said:

Otherwise, nice bike!
I ran a single wall front WTB last season at north star, never had a pinch flat. As far as tubes go I'm running 1.2 MMs

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Jeremy R said:
I agree. It does not matter what his bike weighs. What is it to anybody else?
But the first thing I would do that bike is throw on some Mallet M's.
I think you are racing beginner DH, and I can tell you from experience you are gonna want a platform for your foot when you have to dab in hairy sections. This is just a safety issue, you can ride the Mallets like a flat pedal until you get your foot back in.
As far your wheels, I have no clue, as I do weigh way more than you, but I can tell you those rims are strong, and Dt is actually recommending them for DH right now. I have them on my SX, and they are nice, and I have another set on the way for my Demo.
If I were you, I would get the DT tubeless kit for those rims, then you can run some real DH tires and it will still be light, and will be a helluva lot safer than running some single walled Kenda that is could self-destruct at any time like Tom Cruise.
I have been running the mallets for about a year now and ran SPDs for a year before that, I don't realy unclip and dab. If I do not like the egg beaters I will simply throw the mallets I ahve back on the bike.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
as much as i dislike the little jewbag...his bike really is that light...i made sure to get everything completlely suspended from the scale and its still that light. Now i am planning on stealing it for parts on any occasion i can

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
as much as i dislike the little jewbag...his bike really is that light...i made sure to get everything completlely suspended from the scale and its still that light. Now i am planning on stealing it for parts on any occasion i can
Wow. One of the first times I've laughed at what someone said on the internet. :trophy_br

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
i'm just stealing the whole thing!