Quantcast

Went and saw Michael Moore speak last night

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Damn he was funny about some serious sh!t. If his tour comes to your town go see him. He had some great pro Bush ads (fake). The one that was hella funny was. 1st John Kerry drove a Chevy, then he drove a Ford, now he rides a bicycle(we all cheered SUPER loud). Then it goes on to ask " how many different positions will Kerry take. Elect a president that lets other people do the driving... Vote Bush. Oh man it was so funny.

J

JRB

He's a no talent hack. Not because of his political convictions, but because he seems like an asshat. You got free tickets right???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
He spoke at the

Gaylord Entertainment Center Oct 9th

I bet Loco was there.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
loco-gringo said:
He's a no talent hack. Not because of his political convictions, but because he seems like an asshat. You got free tickets right???
many of the worlds greatest directors are major asshats but that doesn't take away from their filmmaking prowess. how does mm's asshattedness make him a no talent hack?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
tmx said:
many of the worlds greatest directors are major asshats but that doesn't take away from their filmmaking prowess. how does mm's asshattedness make him a no talent hack?
If you ask a question about Moore all you'll get is "He's fat" I've given up.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Lexx D said:
If you ask a question about Moore all you'll get is "He's fat" I've given up.
Sort of figured as much, but the whim to respond snuck up on me. Thanks for the reminder.

(Hope all's been good with you, btw.)

J

JRB

tmx said:

Doing Columbine was in poor taste. That is my opinion and I am sure you will disagree. It rehashed memories for peeps that didn't need it and served no purpose. Anyone that profits from a tragedy is a no talent hack to me. I would mind seeing the Bush film, but I refuse to give that waste of a human my money by renting it. I would pay postage back if you mailed it to me. :D That is the reason for my disdain and I don't see that changing. Stupid or not.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I met MM at a coffee shop in Telluride. He sat down with us and shot the **** for a while. Nicer guy than most of you seem to be.....

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I think Moore is more about telling us what the media does not anymore. Moore has some good points. People in this country need to wake up and rehashing Columbine was a perfect way to do it. After it happened you didn't hear much about it...pooof it just went away. We are being lied to, people are dying, and where are those damn WMD that he said they had. Now that people in America are finding out the truth we want out. Man I'm not the political type, but at 32 this will be the first election I have voted in... why. Because that man can not be in the white house again. There has been a Bush in power since Vietnam (Bush Sr.) was head of the CIA. The same agency that led us into Vietnam. That family loves to play war.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
tmx said:
He's not a no talent hack becasue he's an "asshat", hes a no talent hack becasue his "documentaries" are alot of poorly supported speculation stated as though it were fact and masked behind a facade of sarcastic humor thats suposed to make the viewers feel like they're stupid for not thinking up this bullsh!t already. I'm a kerry supporter and think bush is a horrible president, but farenheight 9/11 is a lame attempt to make bush look as evil as possible in the election year in order to swing votes. Even in this though, it is uneffective because Michael Moore's unacademic style makes it easy to dismiss him as raving douchebag for those who disagree with him politically. The man is loud, obnoxious, and often targets his public annoynace at the wrong people. (think the walmart cust service rep in bowling for columbine, this person is not a gun pushing redneck, she works for walmart for god's sake). Is there any merit to the conspiracy theories put forth in F9/11? Maybe, but without proof its worhtless and not goign to change anyones mind, those that hate bush will believe it, and those that like him will dismiss it. Overall, its a waste of time, money, and film.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
dhtahoe said:
I think Moore is more about telling us what the media does not anymore. Moore has some good points. People in this country need to wake up and rehashing Columbine was a perfect way to do it. After it happened you didn't hear much about it...pooof it just went away. We are being lied to, people are dying, and where are those damn WMD that he said they had. Now that people in America are finding out the truth we want out. Man I'm not the political type, but at 32 this will be the first election I have voted in... why. Because that man can not be in the white house again. There has been a Bush in power since Vietnam (Bush Sr.) was head of the CIA. The same agency that led us into Vietnam. That family loves to play war.
Yup.

When I met MM about 11 years ago - he was making the same kind of movies he's making now. The difference was he had not yet made a ton of $$ doing it. He did it because he cared and he wanted to give a voice to the under represented in this country. Even though he was enjoying some critical success and was a starting to be a bit of a big shot, he still had time to sit down with some punk kids a talk for a bit.

Fast forward - it's 2004 and critical success is now accompanied by financial success. Those that seek to criticize him now use the ploy "but he makes a lot of $$ so he must not be sincere...". What a crappy paradox and a load of BS. Someone who devotes his life to helping the underpriveleged is never allowed to have any kind of success in life? No wonder our society is so selfish and greedy.

Or you just call him fat. What most of you don't realize is that at some point in his career he has probably championed your cause. He has tackled unemployment, corporate greed, viloence, war, corrupt government, and soon the prescription drug rip-off. If you haven't been affected by any of these things, you are in a privleged and exclusive group for sure. But it doesn't matter - he's a fat ass.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
loco-gringo said:
Doing Columbine was in poor taste. That is my opinion and I am sure you will disagree. It rehashed memories for peeps that didn't need it and served no purpose. Anyone that profits from a tragedy is a no talent hack to me. I would mind seeing the Bush film, but I refuse to give that waste of a human my money by renting it. I would pay postage back if you mailed it to me. :D That is the reason for my disdain and I don't see that changing. Stupid or not.
It's ignorant shyt like this that pisses me off. He wasn't trying to make a buck off columbine. It was about gun control, And Americas love of guns. Even if you don't agree with him he raises some good points that may make you think about the way we do things. I'm not going to explain that film to people if you didn't get it then you won't. Not everything is about making a $$(all people need to do is say "it's about $$") . Go rent Roger and Me he's always done his films this way it has nothing to do with $$.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
dhtahoe said:
Same thing with sept 11. They take the buildings out of movies, don't play certain songs, etc..... Why do we always try to forget about these things. God forbid anybody mentions columbine that would be offensive. Fuk that i think it's more offensive to try and make people forget.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Ridemonkey said:
Yup.

When I met MM about 11 years ago - he was making the same kind of movies he's making now. The difference was he had not yet made a ton of $$ doing it. He did it because he cared and he wanted to give a voice to the under represented in this country. Even though he was enjoying some critical success and was a starting to be a bit of a big shot, he still had time to sit down with some punk kids a talk for a bit.

Fast forward - it's 2004 and critical success is now accompanied by financial success. Those that seek to criticize him now use the ploy "but he makes a lot of $$ so he must not be sincere...". What a crappy paradox and a load of BS. Someone who devotes his life to helping the underpriveleged is never allowed to have any kind of success in life? No wonder our society is so selfish and greedy.

Or you just call him fat. What most of you don't realize is that at some point in his career he has probably championed your cause at some point. He has tackled unemployment, corporate greed, viloence, war, corrupt government, and soon the prescription drug rip-off. If you haven't been affected by any of these things, you are in a privleged and exclusive group for sure. But it doesn't matter - he's a fat ass.
Well said.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
See my post above. Its true alot of the criticism of MM is bullsh1t, like hes fat, he's disrespectful, ect. I say fvck being disrespectful, say what you have to say, but my criticisms of MM have to do with what I feel to be his manipulative style and blatant speculation. I thought comlumbine was better than F9/11, but even so in parts I thought he was wasting his time and just dead wrong. LIke trying to fish for some connection between lockheed martin and the columbine shooting, wtf micheal, give me a break. F9/11 was flooded with such poorly supported connections, although I did think the part about the army recruiting soldiers in low income areas was very true and well done. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who generally agrees with MM politically, my problems with him are intellectual, not political.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
TheInedibleHulk said:
See my post above. Its true alot of the criticism of MM is bullsh1t, like hes fat, he's disrespectful, ect. I say fvck being disrespectful, say what you have to say, but my criticisms of MM have to do with what I feel to be his manipulative style and blatant speculation. I thought comlumbine was better than F9/11, but even so in parts I thought he was wasting his time and just dead wrong. LIke trying to fish for some connection between lockheed martin and the columbine shooting, wtf micheal, give me a break. F9/11 was flooded with such poorly supported connections, although I did think the part about the army recruiting soldiers in low income areas was very true and well done. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who generally agrees with MM politically, my problems with him are intellectual, not political.
Exactly. You don't have to agree with all of his opinions(although I do agree with the cartoon in bowling for columbine about the scared white man).

It makes you think, maybe you'll walk away from a movie of his and say "he's fat" or maybe you'll say "wow, I never realized charlton heston was a complete fuking idiot, now i know" :p

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
TheInedibleHulk said:
I agree about the Lockheed part of the Columbine movie - that was dumb.

However, the events surrounding the F9/11 movie have gotten a lot of people killed, and they are still getting killed. I don't think MM's speculations are any more outragous than the BS that the movie intends to expose.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
LG on Coumbine: "It rehashed memories for peeps that didn't need it and served no purpose. Anyone that profits from a tragedy is a no talent hack to me. "

Loco, there were many people directly and immediately effected by Columbine that were extremely grateful Moore made Bowling because no one else was drawing the country's attention on the matter to the level it needs to be taken.

Additionally, the movie did serve a purpose because KMart pulled a particular type of ammo from their shelves as a result of the pressure from the film. Don't know what they're called, but it's the bullets that explode inside their target.

I encourage you to consider checking your facts before lumping him into the category of people making profit from a tragedy. You have the wrong man.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
tmx said:
LG on Coumbine: "It rehashed memories for peeps that didn't need it and served no purpose. Anyone that profits from a tragedy is a no talent hack to me. "

Loco, there were many people directly and immediately effected by Columbine that were extremely grateful Moore made Bowling because no one else was drawing the country's attention on the matter to the level it needs to be taken.

Additionally, the movie did serve a purpose because KMart pulled a particular type of ammo from their shelves as a result of the pressure from the film. Don't know what they're called, but it's the bullets that explode inside their target.

I encourage you to consider checking your facts before lumping him into the category of people making profit from a tragedy. You have the wrong man.
Yeah but he's fat ;)

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Ridemonkey said:
I agree about the Lockheed part of the Columbine movie - that was dumb.

However, the events surrounding the F9/11 movie have gotten a lot of people killed, and they are still getting killed. I don't think MM's speculations are any more outragous than the BS that the movie intends to expose.
You're right that there is alot of outrageous BS coming from the administration and conservative press (ahem... FOX), but being the liberal equivalent of Sean Hannety or Bill O'reilly is not what we need, and thats what Micheal Moore is. Being blindly liberal is no better than being blindly conservative, what everyone needs to do is to start examining the world from an educated and multifaceted perspective, and thinking objectively about specific issues rather than applying a cookie cutter belief system to every issue. Bush is no doubt a cookie cutter conservative, to him eveything is black and white and thats why he makes bad decisions, because he fails to comprehend the indirect consequences of his actions and try to understand things from various perspectives. IE, the post 9/11 war on terror and war in Iraq. Bush's goal, supposedly, was to go kill the terrorists. Well I would have to agree that those terrorists deserve to die, but what Bush fails to think about is that the long term effect of our increased presence in the middle east may VERY WELL be increased anti-US sentiment and more terrorism in the future. Bush is attacking a symptom, not a cause. The "war on drugs" is also a war on a symptom, IMO, but thats another issue. Bush thinks that he's gonna spread "freedom" and "democracy" to a culture he understands extremely little about becasue he is stuck in a concrete christian capitalist worldview. ...Anyway, this thread is about Michael Moore, not GW, so I should get back to him. All Michael Moore is doing is pushing dems and reps farther apart, just like George Bush. He is concerned with the state of society, injustice, violence, and corruption, as am I and I respect him for his concern, but he is approaching probelms the WRONG way, dividing people even more on the issues and being irrational.

This is fun.

J

JRB

I will check it out. Funny you mention the ammo thing, cuz that is where I see the big issue. I'll get back with my thoughts. I may have to venture to the political board for that one. Props to you if I have a different view than I think I will. While RM thinks we are uncool peeps for the most part, I disagree and value most opinions here.

tmx said:

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
I met MM at a coffee shop in Telluride. He sat down with us and shot the **** for a while. Nicer guy than most of you seem to be.....

Good you could gain such an appreciation over coffee. Better for you to tell people in general here you think we have little value. :rolleyes: Let me know if I misinterpreted that.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
tmx said:
Really...Michael Moore doesnt profit from tragedy? So uh, did he donate all of the proceeds from Farenheit 911 (911 being a tragedy) to charity? Would he have made such a movie if 911 never happened? I dont think so. Im pretty sure he profited quite handsomly. I also dont think he donated away all the money he made from BFC either, which is essentially the same situation.
Second, Wal Mart has never, ever, ever sold bullets that explode inside their target. I encourage you to consider checking your facts before you go spouting off nonsense. Also, feel free to visit the political debate forum on this site. Theres quite a few threads on this guy.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
loco-gringo said:
Good you could gain such an appreciation over coffee. Better for you to tell people in general here you think we have little value. :rolleyes: Let me know if I misinterpreted that.
I know that he didn't call you an asshat when I talked to him.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
BurlySurly said:
Really...Michael Moore doesnt profit from tragedy? So uh, did he donate all of the proceeds from Farenheit 911 (911 being a tragedy) to charity? Would he have made such a movie if 911 never happened? I dont think so. Im pretty sure he profited quite handsomly. I also dont think he donated away all the money he made from BFC either, which is essentially the same situation.
Second, Wal Mart has never, ever, ever sold bullets that explode inside their target. I encourage you to consider checking your facts before you go spouting off nonsense. Also, feel free to visit the political debate forum on this site. Theres quite a few threads on this guy.
What took you so long shirley?

Read my previous comments to address your N8 rhetoric.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ridemonkey said:
Read my previous comments to address your N8 rhetoric.
Call it N8 rhertoric if you like, but I think I generally support what I say with facts, and this argument is no different. I really dont have a problem with what Michael Moore is about or what he believes, what I have a problem with is that people actually take the exaggerations (sp) he makes as pure fact, because he presents them that way. We know he does alot of twisting of stuff to make certain points, which can indeed be funny and insightful, but people tend to take them as actual representations of what happened. He titles things as "documentaries" when they're really just "political commentaries" He also DOES profit from disasters to hit the US, and you say "so what? he used to stick up for other stuff" Well, now he has become the film directors version of an ambulance chaser. If you think that's right, fine. I dont.
Alot of his arguments also hold no water, or are left unfinished, yet people cant see beyond the rhetoric...why?

PS: he's fat.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I am just glad that someone MM or not would take the initiative to record what is a very interesting time in our nations history. Sure some of the content is questionable but it makes you think and at least remember the events that shape this country.

Side Note:

A friend of mine who is MM fan told me one time that MM started in film production with one of Bush's cousins.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
BurlySurly said:
"Charity", HA.

"If 911 never happened", that's just sick...As if Moore was thrilled it happened so he could make a mint off the tragedy. He probably prayed for something like Columbine so he could buy 10,000 shares of ...um...WalMart while attempting to take Kmart out of business.

"Wal Mart", It's Kmart Grand Master Fact Checker.

"Political debate forum" AAAHAHAHAA!!!

You say elsewhere that you back your argument up with fact, yet I see no facts here. You do not prove these points about Moore to be wrong. You have not proven that the megalomart in question has never sold this ammo. You've merely stated it the same way I stated they had it available to pull from the shelves. It is not worth my time to research these facts for you. I believed the several news reports that had been delivered back when Kmart pulled the bullets from the shelves. I did not see them get pulled, nor did I review any Kmart documentation on the matter other than their statement reprinted in the varying news sources.

BS, I find your intellectual posturing squashes my desire to share and exchange thus stifling any possible growth and understanding that could transpire from an exchange with someone with such an opposing view as my own.

Spoke80: "I am just glad that someone MM or not would take the initiative to record what is a very interesting time in our nations history. Sure some of the content is questionable but it makes you think and at least remember the events that shape this country. "

I feel the same.

Loco: "I will check it out. Funny you mention the ammo thing, cuz that is where I see the big issue. I'll get back with my thoughts. I may have to venture to the political board for that one. Props to you if I have a different view than I think I will. While RM thinks we are uncool peeps for the most part, I disagree and value most opinions here."

I think this is cool, but I do hope if it matters enough to you (and I certainly have no qualms if it doesn't) that you will look beyond the RM political board for factual info on Moore. And if you do the research and come back with the same view you had as before, your strong opinion will be more soundly based.