I_P_As
We get beer shits
The_next_day
It's a high life night

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If it wasn't for the O, I'd suggest meeting for a beer somewhere on the coast.

Nope, looks like it's all RG6. Pretty sure the prior owners had cable internet & TV. I went with fiber internet and haven't found a good reason not to tear this stuff out.

Luckily for me they ran the cables through the heating ducts, which includes drilling holes in the duct work to facilitate that. :rolleyes:
Hmm, my FiOS still uses coax cables from the optical modem on my basement to the TCP/IP router upstairs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
even RG6 is nearly outdated these days. Most everything new is being plumbed with multi mode Cat6 fiber
Educate a fellow, what would someone want/need cat6 cables runs for? I currently have little technology in my life, just a computer, TV and NAS.

If it wasn't for the O, I'd suggest meeting for a beer somewhere on the coast.

Hmm, my FiOS still uses coax cables from the optical modem on my basement to the TCP/IP router upstairs.
I'm currently renting the Fios router, which doesn't need a separate modem. At least according to the Fios guy. I'm not knowledgeable in such matters.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Fire, coffee and dogs while contemplating the answers I am going to give HR/management for the self-performance-evaluation questions that are exactly the fucking same as they’ve been for the last 5 years. In an absolute overdose of irony the first question is about “Innovation.”

Weather is supposed to be good today. I should probably just ignore HR/management and go ride my bike…

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My (Qwest/Centurylink) fiber setup has an Ethernet drop from the Optical Network Terminal to my router.
Educate a fellow, what would someone want/need cat6 cables runs for? I currently have little technology in my life, just a computer, TV and NAS.

I'm currently renting the Fios router, which doesn't need a separate modem. At least according to the Fios guy. I'm not knowledgeable in such matters.
Cat6 will be better for future 10 gigabit Ethernet in your house, and also better for long runs, iirc. But realistically not much of a difference and gigabit is just fine for intra-house transfers.

Your "router" may have the ONT and router parts integrated. With my setup they were two different boxes but I figured out the VLAN settings, etc. to get my own (nicer) router in place of theirs.

Fiber -> ONT -> Router -> in-house network.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Wandered into the local gym since it's barely 10° Leg press machine was free and made good use of it.
270# x20
360# x25
450# x20
540# x15
630# x13
720# x5

Those and a hundred situps on a situp bench and I was done. Gotta love spending quality time in a gym.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

If you dont have a hard fiber connection from the service provider it is useless to you for internet usage unless you are wanting a local home network with blazing server or NAS transfer speeds. Fiber uses a cat6 connector and can be terminated yourself using a couple hundred bucks worth of tools and a few practice runs.

Fiber will allow up to 10gig per second transfer rates in data transfer, for me this translates to using a NAS or server for limitless expandability in solid state drive space for things such as video editing allowing your terminal to use all of its ability to edit without using its storage space. Comes in handy when you are editing raw or log formats at 5k and higher.

When paired with a optic line from your ISP it makes your download and streaming speeds up to 10 gig per second which allows one to effectively edit large files remotely from the cloud if you use those services.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Pay Day!!!!! Of wait, turned in earnest money on the new casa yesterday, still significantly negative for the week. Fawk.

Oh well, suns out, coffee was solid, riding bikes this weekend.

:wave:

Can anyone give me a compelling reason not to get rid of the coaxial cables or phone jacks in my house? I'm fixing to tear them all out this weekend otherwise.
Even if you find yourself needing/wanting them, the shit installed by previous cable/phone company stooges is probably dog-shit and installed in the worst possible way, in the worst possible location. I have a Coax that comes straight through the floor 6" away from the baseboard, and another that came out of the middle of the wall.

Like GFF said,Cat5/6 or rip it out, and even then I'd probably only leave a Cat5 cable if it ran between wherever the cable company installed the router and your office/desk. Otherwise, it's all about the wireless, smart TV life.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Wife (with MILs /////$$$) decided to gut, raze and redo our perfectly fine but small house this year...

27717571011203.jpg
IMG_20220121_101932730.jpg

While our house (HVAC, flooring, plumbing and ROOF in particular) was in need of a bunch of deferred maintenance I wasn't terribly excited to piss away $300k+ for a fancy /////Haus when our oldest is headed to college in two years...

But as they say happy wife, happy life (until the next thing...)

I wonder why there isn't a similar aphorism re: happy hubby??!!?!11!??

Derp.

Meanwhile in Idahoozle bluebird day after 4" freshie

IMG_20220121_112149658_HDR_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

What does the optical cable from the street connect to?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Were you running from a moose when you ditched the bike there? :rofl:
My last 2 XC ski adventures have been thwarted by the neighborhood moose cow/yearling calf pair browsing willows 'down by the river.'

Bike was placed / thrown there last night when I was running errands and didn't want Mr Plow™ to "part" it out if my car was gone...

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Had a dream I was living aboard a 98 foot bertram superyacht that I retrofitted myself, was anchored in greece, would run a landing craft tender to shore with my motorcycle aboard and explore the mainland.

Found myself looking at live aboard prices this morning.

In other news,

cough is hanging around like a redheaded step child. Still no taste or smell. makes coffee pointless hot water.
Real estate in Greece is fairly cheap, a colleague bought a property there last year. Retirement home to escape the Danish winter (and maybe bad summers).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
lunch break. All the hard Palliative skills are done, Trauma, Medical scenarios, Airway Management, Bleeding and shock. 3 easy skills left, Epinephrine administration, Narcan administration, and blood glucose monitoring Tacos and beer afterwards to celebrate

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Wandered into the local gym since it's barely 10° Leg press machine was free and made good use of it.
270# x20
360# x25
450# x20
540# x15
630# x13
720# x5

Those and a hundred situps on a situp bench and I was done. Gotta love spending quality time in a gym.
Show off! I am actually heading to the gym tonight in the hopes of warming up. I figure some cardio on the elliptical and maybe a few weights should do the trick.