Quantcast

What are some light down hill bikes?

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
***This thread is no longer about light bikes, it is about me asking about differnent bikes that I should get*****

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
demo 9.............................j/k thing weighs like a ton

i dunno...how bout going to manufacturers websites and looking at how much the bikes weigh...that usually works.

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
I tried doing that, but most of the sites dont have older models (95% Dont have them)

Im going to get a used bike, so its not going to brand new 2004 probably

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
No company puts out a complete build which is going to be 35 pounds. Those people which have DH bikes in that weight range have started with a light frame, and spent craploads of money taking every gram they can off the total weight. Some popular ways of doing this are ti springs for front and rear suspension, ti bolts for frame fork etc, tubeless wheels...the list goes on. So to answer your question find a low weight DH frame and be ready to spend a ton of money. I built up my azonic recoil with a handful of light parts and some more durable and ended up a little over 40 pounds. My friend went all out and his is around 37 or 38.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Matt D said:
more fuel to the fire for screening new members
C'mon, it's not that bad of a question...although 35 lbs is a little ridiculous.

BCD Inedibles are nice and light...Chumba Wumba F4s...2004 Turner DHRs...Oranges...(Maybe a Patriot if you want a really light bike and don't need tons of travel).

But there's a lot more to it than just the frame. If it has a 1.5 HT, for example, you can use the Manitou Breakout+ to get really light. And there's a lot more to consider about a bike than the weight alone. Tubeless wheels/tires, etc.

Don't count on building a sub-38lb bike without some serious effort, cash and strength tradeoffs.

MD

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
dhmtbj said:
No company puts out a complete build which is going to be 35 pounds. Those people which have DH bikes in that weight range have started with a light frame, and spent craploads of money taking every gram they can off the total weight. Some popular ways of doing this are ti springs for front and rear suspension, ti bolts for frame fork etc, tubeless wheels...the list goes on. So to answer your question find a low weight DH frame and be ready to spend a ton of money. I built up my azonic recoil with a handful of light parts and some more durable and ended up a little over 40 pounds. My friend went all out and his is around 37 or 38.

That would be me;)

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
oreo321321 said:
What are some light down hill bikes? Light to me is around 35 pounds.

Is the Intense M1 light?
35 pounds?!? Heck, my ASX with "xc" wheels and tires on it weighs 37 pounds. A 35 pound dh bike is a scarey thought. Are you willing to have a component [wheel, etc] fail on you in the middle of a run? I had a light front wheel collapse in the middle of a high speed run, the aftermath wasn't pretty. My recommendation is to NOT be a "weight weenie" when it comes to building a dh bike.

Did you not like the answers to this same question over at mtbr.com?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
MikeD said:
C'mon, it's not that bad of a question...although 35 lbs is a little ridiculous.

BCD Inedibles are nice and light...Chumba Wumba F4s...2004 Turner DHRs...Oranges...(Maybe a Patriot if you want a really light bike and don't need tons of travel).

But there's a lot more to it than just the frame. If it has a 1.5 HT, for example, you can use the Manitou Breakout+ to get really light. And there's a lot more to consider about a bike than the weight alone. Tubeless wheels/tires, etc.

Don't count on building a sub-38lb bike without some serious effort, cash and strength tradeoffs.

MD
he forgot to mention he has a budget of 1000$...and very big eyes...

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
wow that azonic does look very light but me, i'm not much of a weight weiner Yeah get a TMX man.....that sucka won't break unless u do lots of 18 foot drops to flat on concrete, probablt not the frame but ya wheels and shiiiiiiiiii.......

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
MtnbikeMike said:
Are those HFX mag pluses? If so, how the levers holdin up?
They are! They have been way better than my regular Mag levers have over the years. Not a bent lever blade yet and they have a much nicer feel in my opinion

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
zedro said:
he forgot to mention he has a budget of 1000$...and very big eyes...
In that case, a Rockhopper Comp XC makes a great sub-35 lb DH bike.

MD

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I have lots of opinions to share, but as you guys say, this person apparently isn't worth the effort because his ears are plugged. It's disturbing when people ask questions, and don't listen to answers, or even worse, ask questions that simply don't make sense (i.e. a $1000 DH bike that will build up at about 35lbs).

PS
Does anyone know where I can get a turbo for a '97 Outback Sport for under $200?

RAcErX336

Chimp
Sep 21, 2002
Allen, Texas
Light . . hmm.

Brooklyn TMX, Doublewides, Marzocchi super monsters, Profile cranks, 3.0 Gazzis, and some other things, with a bit of weight watching on the other components that should bring you in at around the 35 pound mark nicely. Have fun! :)

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
stoney98 said:
do you really have any idea of the question you're answering? The guy asks for a light DH bike with a $1000 budget, you say TMX. Ok, not light, not under $1000. Think before you speak, because maybe next time you wont look like such and ignorant ass. BTW, this is where you should be making these recomandations: www.pinkbike.com
Try it sometime. :think:
Ouch! OWNED.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I love stupid questions, especially the ones in the buy-and-sell forum.

"Will you trade your Dh bike for my 200 dollar bmx bike???"

"Will you trade your new, unused 888 for my 2000 Jr. T (or similar POS item for expensive part) ???"

Or when someone says they need cash quickly, and 5 people ask to trade random parts.

I really don't want the monkey to turn into pinkbike or mtbr.......

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i think we have to be rude as hell to the people that post insane stuff like that, or else they will keep coming back, the board really isnt a popularity contest, who cares if we piss people off

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i think we have to be rude as hell to the people that post insane stuff like that, or else they will keep coming back, the board really isnt a popularity contest, who cares if we piss people off
I'm right with you on that one. :monkey:

oreo321321

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
Allright, I see that I am not liked here, ill go cry now...................................................................................................................................................................................
Ok, this will be my last question, unless for some reason the guy spontaniuosly combusts, and I can no longre get the bike from him

the bike is in great shape, 8 1/4 inches of trav. in back, 7 in front on a 2002 boxxer. the frame is a 2002 medium. Should I get it for a thousand or not

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Well, bud... if it is a bike that you like and feels good to you, buy it. If it doesn't feel and look good to you, then don't. Its simple, don't go with what people tell you.. be yourself. YOU know what you want/don't want.

I didn't post on the forums when I bought my two bikes (see below). I tested them out and liked them better than alot of the bikes, so I bought them, built them up, and now I'm friggin' :D as hell!