Quantcast

what are the thinest strongest flat pedals out now days??

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm still addicted to my Easton Flatboys. Just wish they weren't the heaviest thing on the market. I might try the Ally-Crmo Nukeproofs next, although the Mag-Crmo ones are lighter, I find Magnesium too for my habit of bashing my right-hand pedal into something about once a run.

aanon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
south oz
Have been using the newer Canfield Crampons and rate em highly, time will tell on the durability side but judging by the looks of the other ones posted i am thinking mega tough.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Holy snapping duck poo Batman!!:eek:

WTF do you do to those poor pedals!:confused:
I believe that is a pic of Mitch Ropelato's pedal...

Well like I said before the Point 1 podiums do not fair well with pedal strikes at all.
I had tried the original cramptons and was not impressed. They have changed the design since then. I love my Deity Decoys and they are less then half of what the Cramptons are but out of curiosity I just ordered a pair of the Cramptons.
I figure new frame why not try new pedals. Now I just have to decide on what fork......

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The new Crampon + Hamptons collabo!

I have nothing to add to this discussion. I run Glory Holes. Neither light nor thin but TOUGH. Aside from a few scratches and tiny gouges the pedals are still going strong since 2008. Haven't even needed to replace a pin.
yep i have the Race Lites which are not light, but just as heavy as Straightlines. Those thing are bomb proof....too bad NYC Freeride went under.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I consider DH pedals to be disposable since I’m sort of a hack and not the smoothest rider……I’ve been running Haro Pivits (Wha, Wha’s little brother) which are thin and cheap.

Lots of rock strikes and the Pivit’s are hanging tough.

J

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I consider DH pedals to be disposable since I’m sort of a hack and not the smoothest rider……I’ve been running Haro Pivits (Wha, Wha’s little brother) which are thin and cheap.

Lots of rock strikes and the Pivit’s are hanging tough.

J
I have the Premium slims (haro pivots, atomlabs, etc.) set up on a few of my bikes. On all of them I have bent the spindle. They're still rideable, but quite annoying when pedaling.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Good for you man, if they are cheap and fit the bill your good to go, if not you have a good reference for another pedal at a later date... Im sure they are just fine and you will hammer the hell outa them like anyone else so so go get some trail time on em! :thumb:

I love new parts!!!! Shiny and new before carnage...

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
again thanks fellas, although the pedals are not for a DH bike, it's for my trailbike which i tend to ride like a dh bike, so i'm sure i'll get alot time out of em.

Last edited:

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Should have gone with the Deitys then, have had bad experience with atomlab pedals and they are heavy
i had a bad experience with Dietys cranks back in the day where the right arm just snapped in half, so therefor i'll never buy any of there products again.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I had 3 pairs of Atomlab Pimplite pedals in a row, and on each pedal the right pedal seperate from the axle after only weeks of ownership, which was pretty scary considering I had landed a big drop on each occasion and was left with just a pedal axle screwed to the driveside of my crank arm

after the 3rd failed (the first 2 pairs replaced under warranty - took 3-4 weeks on each occasion) I asked for my money back and bought some Easton Cullys which never gave me any trouble

more recently? I've found Wellgo's MG-1 to be wide enough and thin enough for both DH and trail riding, cheap, light, seem tough and if they get mangled on a big rock encounter not expensive to replace

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
All of you are wasting your dollars. Specialized Mag Pros. Retardedly light. Great bearings. Simple. Slim. Light. Replaceable.....CHEEEAPPPPERRRR!!!!

And based on everything I see at venues everywhere, virtually anybody who's owned a pair since '06 is still running them. Dave Meredith of OneGhost has a component brand with some neat pedals by the way:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/08/sneak-peek-hot-new-pedals-from-one-ghosts-candy-components/
More HTIs, they don't look very light compared to Kowas, oReverse, or some of the others.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i had a bad experience with Dietys cranks back in the day where the right arm just snapped in half, so therefor i'll never buy any of there products again.
Yes, the first version cranks had issues but they are warrantied for life. Everything they make has been great since, stems, bars, grips, pedals and cranks.

I also have had issues with Atomlab pedals, bent spindles and pedal coming off the spindle. Iove their wheels but don't trust the pedals.

Last edited:

Chridi

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
Mike-Spank Ind @mtbr
Spank is in final phases of an intense testing program, and plans to start shipments roughly around Christmas time. I hope you can all hold on till then! Feel free to contact Spank on the Contacts page of the website for updates (www.spank-bikes.com). The target MSRP is 99Euro, or roughly 110 USD. As a forged pedal at only 400g per pair, and only 12mm thick, this makes them a steal!

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Yes, the first version cranks had issues but they are warrantied for life. Everything they make has been great since, stems, bars, grips, pedals and cranks.

I also have had issues with Atomlab pedals, bent spindles and pedal coming off the spindle. Iove their wheels but don't trust the pedals.
well the pedals are for my trailbike which i do only light freeride stuff, so hopefully i won't have a problem! thanks for the info..

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Not quite as blingey as those Spanks, but the new Syncros Crux is pretty thin and 428g / pair. Best of all you get the same four-bearing setup as the original Mentals and the inescapeable Syncros pins (shorts and longs both come with them):

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Am I the only one who thinks the whole flat pedal thing has gone crazy? We have 200$+ Pedals (hell reset has ones for 650$ !!!) and yes some are 100g lighter or a bit lower but compared to a pair of Wah Wahs that can be had for as low as 30$ (if you look around classfields/ebay) it's crazy to pay 5-10 times more for a marginable performance differance, especially if it's something that will be hitting the ground quite often.

I also like bling but this is getting ridiculous. I was just ready to buy a set of 150$ pedals but fortunately I've got my sanity back.

BTW. I'm also quite suprised that Clips are never near these prices.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Had good luck w/ Sun Ringle Zu-Zu. They're not the lightest, thinest, etc, but they're a classic pedal, grippy and reasonably priced.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
not sure about Syncros pedals?

as a former owner of the Mental Alloy and Mental Magnesiums..

found them too way tall which meant they tended to flip over when placing a foot on rough ground, causing slippage and an encounter with the nasty pins (I have some wicked scars on my shins and calves)

I also found the turret pins (which are more like mini soccer boot studs) actually very poor in terms of grip in wet conditions unless using a 5-10 shoe, with skate / bmx shoes like Etnies and Orchids the studs did not key into the shoe sole but slipped about

I switched to Wellgo MG-1 pedals which are thinner, lighter, much cheaper and actually so grippy I've had to remove several pins per pedal side so I can move my shoes around if needed

if the Syncros Crux is thinner thats a good move, but a move to regular grub screws rather than the turrent pins would make more sense in terms of grip

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
Am I the only one who thinks the whole flat pedal thing has gone crazy? We have 200$+ Pedals (hell reset has ones for 650$ !!!) and yes some are 100g lighter or a bit lower but compared to a pair of Wah Wahs that can be had for as low as 30$ (if you look around classfields/ebay) it's crazy to pay 5-10 times more for a marginable performance differance, especially if it's something that will be hitting the ground quite often.

I also like bling but this is getting ridiculous. I was just ready to buy a set of 150$ pedals but fortunately I've got my sanity back.

BTW. I'm also quite suprised that Clips are never near these prices.
i agree prices are out of control, thus why i went with the atomlabs, that are running me $60 bucks versus $150. there just flats that end up getting banged up....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
i agree prices are out of control, thus why i went with the atomlabs, that are running me $60 bucks versus $150. there just flats that end up getting banged up....
Expensive pedals are nothing new. I have a pair of Atomlab Trailking pedals that I bought over 5 years ago and they were over $100 then. Still have them actually.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Expensive pedals are nothing new. I have a pair of Atomlab Trailking pedals that I bought over 5 years ago and they were over $100 then. Still have them actually.
But don't you see the differance? 100$ was a lot back in the day? Now it's almost normal. Catalog pedals from Nuke cost more.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But don't you see the differance? 100$ was a lot back in the day? Now it's almost normal. Catalog pedals from Nuke cost more.
My point was, exactly as I stated, there were expensive pedals years ago. You know, there are PLENTY of cheap pedals out there now, they just aren't the thinnest/lightest/strongest options available. Nothing has changed.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My point was, exactly as I stated, there were expensive pedals years ago. You know, there are PLENTY of cheap pedals out there now, they just aren't the thinnest/lightest/strongest options available. Nothing has changed.
Not really. Cheap pedal some time ago was 30$ now its 60$. Expensive was 100-120$ now it's 200$. Also now the "cheap" pedals are not really much worse than the top end ones (Ie. Wahwahs/ht's) compared to 40g lighter and marginaly lower spanks, points etc. Also I'm not really talking about the price but about how obsessed we got with flat pedals.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
indeed pedals are crazy expensive today!.. I dont know if I really have to go for Crampon or go for Wah wah/Superstar instead.

where you find HT pedals? Is it same as superstar?