Quantcast

What bike did you use for your first time DHing??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I hit Plattekill with a fellow Monkey, douglas, on Sunday and had one helluva great day and a really awesome first experience hitting DH trails.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85321

I've definitely got the bug now.:devil: :D

I rode my Snipes 30-06 hard tail with Shiver Single Crown up front (thanks again Jesus!) and it served me well.....real well I thought.

I've heard many a story about riders who did their first DH runs on an old Nishiki hardtail or an old Rockhopper etc. etc.

I'd love to hear about the first rig some of you long time DHers started out on and the progression of bikes that followed and how soon after did you upgrade etc.

Lemme hear your stories.

Thanks!

Mark

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i raced at snoqualmie pass in washington in 02 on my 2001 gt i-drive 3.0. i put disc brakes on it but it also had a 1.95 tire in the back and 2.1 in the front--not ideal rainy, melting snow conditions. just this winter i got a 2004 diamondback xts moto, which is basically a dh bike except with two front sprockets and only 6.6 rear travel. i guess that's better than a hardtail though...i raced it once and it was extremely confidence-inspiring. good luck with dh

i was a long time XC racer...turn to the 'darkside' in 2001.

first dh bike was the giant dh comp '02 and then the '03 intense m1....and now the '04 chumba wumba F4

first dj/4x bike was the initially my SC superlight...which broke and i got a foes zigzag...then a '03 azonic propulsion...now a '04 intense tazer.

i'm sprained my left ankle, my right knee, my left wrist...
broke my pelvis and now, a bone in my hand

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Ghetto fab Specialized hardrock. I was hanging on for my life, but it was sure fun! Now I use my P.1 for everything, including scratching fork stanchions.:angry: :mad: I went BRAPPPing into some rocks on some local trails today and couldn't scrub off speed, so I had to toss it.:dead: Oh well, just gotta buff it out. I love DH on a hardtail, though. I think I want a new Snipes elemental now that they have the chain guide mounts. White with a 2004 Boxxer race.:cool: You 30-06 looks uber pimp. How did it handle?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dude. i hit up whistler in 1995 with my proflex 550. of course the trails hadn't really been built yet... that's 2" if that in the back, and 2" up front thanks to a rockshox quadra. oh, the days when undamped elastomers were de rigeur... then went through a cannondale xc rig, kona stinky (with several trials bikes on the side in the interim), intense uzzi slx, now onto a evil imperial and looking to pick up a big squish rig for the summer. :thumb:

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
First DH race (circa '91?)I ran a Rocky Mountain Experience(?) I think...the one with the elevated stays...with aRock Shox Mag 21. All of 2" of travel...Sweet.

First Pro race (circa '94) was on a Yeti ARC AS with a Manitou 3. 2.5" up front, 1.5" rear....that bike was awesome.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
i was a long time XC racer...turn to the 'darkside' in 2001.

first dh bike was the giant dh comp '02 and then the '03 intense m1....and now the '04 chumba wumba F4

first dj/4x bike was the initially my SC superlight...which broke and i got a foes zigzag...then a '03 azonic propulsion...now a '04 intense tazer.

i'm sprained my left ankle, my right knee, my left wrist...
broke my pelvis and now, a bone in my hand
There was a guy on a Chumba Wumba at Platty on Sunday - was that you?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Went to college with a 1988ish DB Ascent...fully rigid. Rode around the hills and such nearly killing myself. Purchased a SR Duo Trac 1.7" spring elastomer fork (circa 1993ish) and was ripping all around....with my biopace chainrings, exage Mountian shimano groupo (indexed thumb shifters!)

Next summer worked my arse off and bought a new 1993 GT RTS-3 with a Quadra 10 fork (old timers are laughing right now) It had less than 2" of travel on both ends.....STX-RC groupo and Rapid fire plus shirters. I tore the hills up on that thing....rest its sole. I bought a RS Mag 21 to smooth out the DH ripples in the ridges around Central WA Univ.....like 1.9" of butter Hitting Snoqualmie pass for lift assisted DH runs on this thing. Hard Core

Two summers later I buy a 1995-6ish GT LTS with one setting linkage and it came with a Answer ProForx LT 3"edition Spring and elastomer. More lift assisted work here....but I picked up a 1997 Marz Z-1...ultra heft at the time...over a pound heavier than it's competitors ...or 25% more wieght. :eek:

Year after graduation I bought a STS 1500DS (98?) the ones that werein teh catologues for cheap....I got mine from a LBS for a competative price. Judy XL :dead: poor thing....I abused it...ran the Z-1 on the STS then bought a 1998 Boxxer. :D ahhhhh finally a good fork for Dhing.

Finally I decided "hey get the right tools dumb arse!"

I bought a Rotec DH in Aug 2000 and aven't looked back.

Rhino

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by HRDTLBRO
Ghetto fab Specialized hardrock. I was hanging on for my life, but it was sure fun! Now I use my P.1 for everything, including scratching fork stanchions.:angry: :mad: I went BRAPPPing into some rocks on some local trails today and couldn't scrub off speed, so I had to toss it.:dead: Oh well, just gotta buff it out. I love DH on a hardtail, though. I think I want a new Snipes elemental now that they have the chain guide mounts. White with a 2004 Boxxer race.:cool: You 30-06 looks uber pimp. How did it handle?
Uber Pimp?? I'd sorta call it dull but really functional myself.......sort of anti bling - well except for the Hope Bulb that Jesus laced to my Singletrack up front when we did a little fork trade/sale transaction earlier this year.

All in all it handled well....now if the rider were more skilled it would have rocked even more........but I'll keep getting better.

It was nice that I could have the seat so low.....now I just need to keep working on my focus and technique and keeping my weight back. I think I also got major cable stretch on my Avid Mechanicals by the end of the day as well! And a couple of times the red adjuster dials moved when I slid in the mud......then I forgot to check em and was like OH Sh*T! :eek: :D But it was all good.

Actually having a little less power to my front brake probably was helpful to me.

On my last run I was getting tired and I totally spaced out on a not too difficult section and grabbed a handful of front brake instead of a little bit of rear brake and I went flyin! landed with my foot stuck in between my frame, seat and rear brake line! It went a little something like this:

Me - endoing and then falling and yelling ouch! that hurt
Douglas calling back to me to see if I was okay

Me - "yeah I'm okay but I'm stuck! Help!" or something like that.

My foot was all jammed up in between the frame and seat and a little tree and I was stuck! Now that I look back on it, it I must have looked pretty damned funny! :D

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
My first time out I went to Plattekill on a GT LTS 3000 DS, I used to think that was the best thing since sliced bread! I have never ridden there with a bike that was really made for DH :(

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The first time I went DH'ing was back in my freshman year of high school. I had just purchased my first real mountain bike, it was a purple Univega (Something)500. Complete with shimano Alivio, and an STX-RC rear mech.

The bike was fully rigid, and I ended up going to Mt. Snow. When I woke up the morning after I realized I could barely move my arms (well my entire body actually, but mostly my arms). I ended up having to get on my knees to sling my bookbag over my shoulders because I could not physically pick it up :p

Been hooked ever since.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by unusualpunk
Huffy 1986 16" ET theme bike. red, with a basket on the handlebars and everything. It was so hardcore!:p
Dude everyone knows the ET bikes were Kuwaharas not Huffys :p

-ska todd

Apr 1, 2002
NY
frame - Performance, yes the mail order mag, M547 dh bike
1 in of travel via elastomer, single pivot
fork - RST somethin, 1 1/2 in of travel, elastomer
groupo - shimano Exage, center pull brakes
tires, front: paniaracer spike, rear, panaracer magic dh
extras - DCD chain stay tensioner, yeti teal grips, red ritchy sticky brake pads, and a go fast riser bar w/ brace.

i wish i had a pic. keep in mind this was about 1993-94

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Went to college with a 1988ish DB Ascent...fully rigid.
Sweet...my first MTB Was the DB Accent EX(in '88-89 as well)...probably my most favorite bike ever...Sweet smoke paint job, Tioga stem, Farmer John Tires, Shimano Mountain LX, Araya rims and the Tange straight blade fork. Beat the crap out of it. LOL funny ****.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Originally posted by MMcG
What bike did you use for your first time DHing??

Lol......a 1999 klein mantra pro. I feel like such a retard now.....I thought I was cool riding urban with my full face ski helmet on doing 1.5 foot drops:p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1979 Raleigh Renegade. When I was about 11 a I would push my ape hanger bared banana seated bike with coaster brakes up a section of trail that was a powerline path up the side of the mountain. The powerline train dropped down into an abandoned strip mine that was converted into an illegal MX track. The raleigh was eventually broken and replaced by a Huffy BMX which was then broken and replaced by a Ross Mt. Washington. I can't believe the crazy poop I used to do on crappy bikes, I miss the days of rubbery bones.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
1993 @ Sunday River - rigid (yes rigid :eek: ) Raleigh Crest. Parts were Shimano Lx somethin, don't remember, back when Lx had numbers like Lx 400.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
haha...i hit northstar full rigid on my specialized hardrock ultra back in 1994 or something, then the following year I went back with a manitou front shock, but since it was elastomer it wasn't much better.....

after those few times, the next time that I went "downhilling" it was on my Rocky Mountain DH race.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I did my first DH in 1999 on a stock 1998 FSR Elite with an Xvert-R. I still have the frame with both the stock shock/link as well as the MRP upgrade kit. I just rebuilt it with a Psylo SL for my wife to ride. Great bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Jm_
I went back with a manitou front shock, but since it was elastomer it wasn't much better.....
At least it wasn't a boxxer, right?

I rode a lift with my Trek 6000 a few times (hey, I'd upgraded to some Ryno Lite rims, and the mtbr.com review said my Precision Billet V-brakes were "as good as discs")...but waited until I got the hardcore F/S rig (Titus Locomoto...with a 5" Z1 and a coil shock-ultra plush you know-and some Hope C2s) to try a DH race.

It was a real success...

MD

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
1994 Mount Snow National. a 19" Specialized Stumpjumper with a Specialized/ Mag 21, toe clips and a 120x-10 stem with flat bars and moto gear. Believe it or not I'm still alive.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
The raleigh was eventually broken and replaced by a Huffy BMX which was then broken and replaced by a Ross Mt. Washington. I can't believe the crazy poop I used to do on crappy bikes, I miss the days of rubbery bones. [/B][/QUOTE]

---------i had a 87? mt olympus

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by MikeD
At least it wasn't a boxxer, right?

I rode a lift with my Trek 6000 a few times (hey, I'd upgraded to some Ryno Lite rims, and the mtbr.com review said my Precision Billet V-brakes were "as good as discs")...but waited until I got the hardcore F/S rig (Titus Locomoto...with a 5" Z1 and a coil shock-ultra plush you know-and some Hope C2s) to try a DH race.

It was a real success...

MD
The boxxer was 3 forks after that, but only 2 bikes later. :D