Quantcast

What is the longest ride you've done??

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco said:
I did me 28 miles up the flume to the rim and around. It was SANDY. I had soooo much fun though. Met 2 guys from San Jo while I was there, and had some good fun. I may meet them in Moab this summer.

*edit - I climbed about 6,000 ft I think.
That sand is just horrific...it was shortly after I had had that diabetes related seizure that really f'd up my back and it was FREEZING. My back was KILLING me...plus I hadn't riden in forever cuz of the broken hand...man I was a MESS last season! I definitely want to do that ride again this summer on a clear day...the views will be sooooo much more awesome.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Winter Park, Colorado is a great place for epic rides. I've done a number of 30+ mile rides there. I think they boast over 500 miles of trail.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the flume was the worst of the 6 or so rides we did in tahoe (still not bad, but paled in comparison). the views are cool, but it's for a very short part, and the rest was boring.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what, voice my opinion? sorry, that's just the way i saw it. can you honestly say that it was better than:

tahoe rim trail (starting at that school near tahoe city)
drunken bear
mr toad's, including the spur towards armstrong
bowman lakes
chimney rock to 2nd divide (downieville)

it was a clear last place finisher when compared to those.

aside from the view, the best part was that at least you could sneak in through incline village for a swim after the ride.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Some buddies (Morryjg included) and I do a "Man Day" ride every year. We try to piece together some epic chunk of singletrack.

Last year was Crested Butte. 48 miles, all but 13 miles was singletrack. Crusty Butt epic

Year before was Summit County - 42-ish miles of jeep road/singletrack.

Year before that was Summit County - 45+ miles, all but about 3 miles were singletrack! Miner's Creek epic

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
what, voice my opinion? sorry, that's just the way i saw it. can you honestly say that it was better than:

tahoe rim trail (starting at that school near tahoe city)
drunken bear
mr toad's, including the spur towards armstrong
bowman lakes
chimney rock to 2nd divide (downieville)

it was a clear last place finisher when compared to those.

aside from the view, the best part was that at least you could sneak in through incline village for a swim after the ride.

Can't say other than the views I really liked it all that much period...it was sandy as hell...this thread wasn't about comparing trails...it was about the longest ride you've done...and I knew your sour puss would come in and make a comment...let's try and stay on topic here! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so miss thread derailer is giving me instructions to stay on task? isn't that rich. :devil:

there are a ton more epic trails to do around tahoe. hey, i listed my top 4 or so epic rides, so i was on topic at least once. ;)

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
so miss thread derailer is giving me instructions to stay on task? isn't that rich. :devil:

there are a ton more epic trails to do around tahoe. hey, i listed my top 4 or so epic rides, so i was on topic at least once. ;)

That was the whole joke...about the derailing...god I'm glad I'm out of here in 2 hours and 20 minutes so I don't have to put up with your crap all day. :D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
don't wanna read my dreck? shut down yr browser and get back to work, ms tax-payer leech. :)
Hey...I get my work done! Sometimes if I don't post for an hour or whatever...it means I'm working! It's just so slow...I guess people have gotten so used to the service level cuts, that they don't even wanna call and bitch...except for the guy yesterday..wanted to bitch about the guys repainting STOP in front of his daughters school...it should have been done another time cuz it clogged up traffic...it was poor judgement...didn't wanna leave his name, number...nuthin so that I could have a supervisor call him back...just wanted to bitch...of course he'd be the first to sue the city if his kid got nailed by a car that went through the stop because it wasn't clear...man...this place...damned if you do, damned if you don't...I think I'm gonna go out to the car and get me a jello shot!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Longest ride of any kind was on the road. Middlebury, VT to Williamstown, MA. Rode it solo, through NY for the most part. About 110 miles total.

Dirt is hard to say. I know I did about 25 miles one day at Allamuchy in NJ. Most of my rides are short and I don't have a computer on my MTB. I used to do many long weekend rides at Ringwood in NJ...hours and hours but low mileage due to technical terrain, lack of fitness and the occassional trailside nap.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Heidi said:
Mmmmmmm Sedona, thanks for re-igniting the fire within me. Damn, I soo want to get back there to ride.
Yeah, with all the freaking rain we've been getting here, a trip to Arizona sounds pretty good :drool:

Have you ever ridden the House Mountain trail or Kasner Canyon out there? Those were two awesome trails that are a tad off the beaten path.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I did laural and black mountain in pisgah on the same day.

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/bestrides/brlaurel.html
This is a long loop ride in a remote, scenic area, with a gradual singletrack uphill. Has a high elevation change and one very steep uphill into a high elevation environment. Then there's a 2.5 mile, 1600 vertical foot, fairly technical, uninterrupted downhill with steep, rocky switchbacks and a rock garden. Finish with scenic gravel road cruising and climbing.

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/bestrides/brblack.html
Also known as "Clawhammer," this hard-core ride contains a 7 1/2 mile, 2000 vertical foot climb. Uses a rocky, muddy, and rooty creekside trail with at least 6 deep creek crossings, and passes the scenic Twin Falls side hike. There's a long, somewhat steep climb to Buckhorn Gap followed by incredible views, a very remote and rugged ridgeline trail (beyond technical), a rock cave, rock outcroppings, and boulders. Crosses Clawhammer and Black Mountains' summits, then there's a very fast, rocky, 1900 vertical foot, 4-mile downhill.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Zark said:
Solo Tunnel runs. I'd ride Tunnel trail in SB (notoriously tough trail) from my house in I.V. 45 miles of road (total) with 4,000' of climbing to drop 4 miles of gnar.... what was I thinking!
Ya, I've done a few of those. Though I prefer the ride up to Cold Springs and then back into SB. When I was riding dh alot I'd do that ride solo a few times a month, probably 30-45 miles depending on which trail I went on.

On the road, 112 miles, about 8k worth of climbing, went of the mountains to the ocean and back on a SS. Did a 60 miler last Sunday on my fixed gear, lots of climbing.

All on a trail, in SB I used to train on this little 3 mile loop at Elings Park. I'd do ten of those at a time 3 or 4 times a week.

I haven't gotten in anything longer than 25 miles on the trail in over a year, but I'm hoping to do the 50 miler at SOC.

The Ito

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
18 MILES BIZUTCH!!!

In north Kent Ct... the epitimy of rocks, m' skis and mud... and that was on a hardtail.

God i cant wait to go to Colllege in Colorado. :help:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
mack said:
18 MILES BIZUTCH!!!

In north Kent Ct... the epitimy of rocks, m' skis and mud... and that was on a hardtail.

God i cant wait to go to Colllege in Colorado. :help:
My first real mountain bike ride was 14 miles on a rigid steelie.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Longest on a mountain bike? We did a 22 mile loop at the Kingdom Trails last fall, that's the longest I've done. I done a century ride on my road bike.

Kiltim

Chimp
Nov 6, 2004
Okinawa, Japan
Ive done a series of trails that all connect together about 15miles north of where I live on Oki. There are like 8-10 trails ranging in length from less than half a mile to a large 15 mile loop. They all interconnect or cross eachother for the most part. Spent the whole day doing that once. Boy was I sore after that one.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have not used an odometer in years for mtb but I do sometimes try to look at a map and figure it all out, estimating high whenever possible. :D

Back in the day when I rode flatland style XC 50 or 60 miles was not uncommon but, like others have said - add some technical climbing and descending and everything changes.

Now I go by hours pedaling, my effort is pretty consistant no matter what the trail. My local trail around lake Sylvia in Montesano, Washington is just over 7 miles long - in the winter it takes about 90 minutes to ride but in the summer when things are dry it takes less than one hour.

On a mountain or road bike I am good for about 6 hours and that usually translates into 30 to 40 on the trail and 100 on the road bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
110km one day 80km the next day.....in miles I guess maybe 70miles and 55???

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
This only half way qualifies because it was on the road but I was riding a mountain bike. Santa Barbra to LAX, about 125 miles.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
my longest mtb ride im guessing was about 35 miles or so, some dirt road/pavement connectors. longest road ride was i think 108, and i did a century through the white mountains in NH.

matt