Quantcast

What is your dream car/van/suv?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I would start with something like the Mazda 5. Make it a smidge bigger with a fold flat / removable third row. All four buckets fold flat. They too are like the Mazda 5 in that they have storage bins under the flip forward seat bottoms with one containing a fold out middle seat and the other a fold out table (again like the Mazda 5). The front would have a table and netting sides/bins for holding take-out or a couple bags of groceries. The roof would have a pop up cargo box/bag (think VW campervan).

I don't care how fast it goes or how it handles as long as it can merge onto the highway with a full load and is smooth and quiet. It would be electric or hybrid. It would get 50+ combined mpg with an electric range of 100+ miles. It would have at least 6" of ground clearance, awd, and be able to handle some rough dirt roads.

It would have four power sliding doors. Yup, the fronts slide forward (how nice would it be not to have to walk around open doors). The rear would be a swing door that can open either way. In the middle of the door would be a storage box accessible from the inside. On the outside of the box would a fold down storage basket with 2 bike mounts with an optional 2 bike extender. The door would be strong enough to be opened with 4 mountain bikes on it.

That's it for now.

Last edited:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
It'd start with a smaller pickup platform, perhaps a crew cab Ford Ranger. Solid axles front and rear, front and rear lockers, skid plates, capable of handling all-terrain tires ~33-35", winch, on board air compressor. Diesel engine, maybe a 3-4 liter paired with a 6 speed manual transmission and a two speed transfer case.

Either that or a small cargo van with the same requirements.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

We'll see if reality or my dreams prevail in about five years. :D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Small. 4 seats. 35+ mpg.
Ability to put a bike rack on it.
Those are my only requirements...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
pretty much my truck with the camper on it. hitch rack holds all my bikes and I can head up to the Sierras for a week and range out riding every day from a remote campsite never needing to head back into town yet having deluxe living quarters complete with a fridge full of cold beer:thumb:

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
1981 Datsun Fairlady 280zx

I bought one from an original owner when I got out of high school only to realize restoring a car takes more money than an 18yr old had. Had to sell it for.... :( a Saturn L Series Sedan. Been missing the fairlady ever since.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1981 Datsun Fairlady 280zx

I bought one from an original owner when I got out of high school only to realize restoring a car takes more money than an 18yr old had. Had to sell it for.... :( a Saturn L Series Sedan. Been missing the fairlady ever since.
The good thing is that you'll have no competition from other prospective buyers when hunting down that 280ZX in the future. :rofl:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
For deeply personal reasons, I feel the 2000 Mazda MPV I currently drive is my final car.

However, if I wanted a practical commuter, the new Nissan Leaf I saw at Sea Otter was rather cool. For "over the top", a dually Suburban converted for camping is my choice. Money no object? That top end Bugatti after I win lottery.

Guess I have many dreams..............

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Not much of a reach, considering I can afford one (with a 7 year car loan). It is just so impractical for a city resident who parks his car on the street, it is a dream vehicle.

But I like coupes and being obnoxious in a stylish way, and the Dodge Challenger qualifies in both areas.

I especially like the mentality behind the car:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My dad had a '71 Cuda in canary yellow he was restoring (not the hemi though, maybe the 340 or 360?....still an awesome car though)....I remember crawling around in it when the interior was completely ripped out with all the wiring exposed. Eventually sold it.

It's crazy what the 426 Hemi versions sell for though.:shocked:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My dad had a '71 Cuda in canary yellow he was restoring (not the hemi though....still an awesome car though)....I remember crawling around in it when the interior was completely ripped out with all the wiring exposed.
your dad is one cool motherfvcker then. i hope he still has it, it was the best year for the Cuda

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
your dad is one cool motherfvcker then. i hope he still has it, it was the best year for the Cuda
Edited my post....wound up selling it. I should ask him about it to confirm the year/motor. I was little when he got rid of it (like maybe 3-4 years old). All I remember was it being such a badass looking body/color. We'd probably both kill to have it now....would be an awesome restoration project to do with him now that I can do more than poop and drool in it. :rofl:

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The good thing is that you'll have no competition from other prospective buyers when hunting down that 280ZX in the future. :rofl:
Really? They are quite popular here. there is a Z-Club of Charlotte that I joined when I was younger, and a good 80-100 people that showed up on a regular basis had a mid 80s 280.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
it is crazy what they sell for...especially the 71 hemi convertible. the last one at auction sold for $2.5mil....for a car that cost $3200 new
Never realized how much they went for til I saw one go for several hundred thousand at either a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum auction on TV one day. I immediately grabbed the phone to call my dad to see what year/motor the one he had. Wasn't the Hemi which is all I can remember.