Quantcast

What to get?: Beginner downhill mtb

p2djer

Chimp
Jul 28, 2005
aptos california
I have downhill mountain biked at n* a couple times and I really enjoyed it. Now I want to get a downhill mtb. Especially since I live in Santa Cruz. I was wondering what is the best for its price. Also since I dont have much money should I buy a frame and go from there, or would it be better to buy a complete? (I tried a search but my computer froze.)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In general, a complete bike is a much better deal than a frame. Look for a used bike in the classifieds here, you're bound to find a good deal somewhere. If you wanna go new look to spend upwards of $1200. You can occasionally find closeouts for cheap at places like SuperGo and Performance, but they are generally not really assembled too well.

mtArider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
um cheapest is like 1000 bucks

i suggest the santa cruz bullit
specalized big hit
kona stinky

and i am selling a santa cruz bullit PIMPED with deetracks
with 5th element boxxer team worlldcup guide xt derialer size medium for like 1200 and 1000 if you you dont need the fork. WHAT A STEAL. search for "bullit" in complete bikes and my ad should pop up. its a great deal. 7 inches front and back.

mtArider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
um cheapest is like 100 bucks

i suggest the santa cruz bullit
specalized big hit
kona stinky

and i am selling a santa cruz bullit PIMPED with deetracks
with 5th element boxxer team worlldcup guide xt derialer size medium for like 1200 WHAT A STEAL. search for "bullit" in complete bikes and my ad should pop up. its a great deal. 7 inches front and back.

edit: found the ad LINK http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158081&highlight=bullit

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
deffinatly the only way to come out cheep is going complete. if you dont want to spend over 2 grand for a decent downhill bike your probly gonna have to go used as well. acctually in my opinion the bullit in the previous mentioned post is probly your best option man. just my two cents.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just got a bullit and I love it. Make sure you get the right size. How tall are you? What bikes have you ridden (and what were the sizes)? Some bikes seem to be a little different than other bikes at the same size.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
buy used, by doing this you get a nicer bike with a greater build for the same price as a worst one new.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ That's basicly my logic about used stuff (as long as it's in good condition).

I'll rephrase that: Through buying a used bike, it is possible to get a better parts spec than a new bike of the same model for about the same price. This does happen (just make sure it isn't thrashed).

p2djer

Chimp
Jul 28, 2005
aptos california
mtnbrider said:
I just got a bullit and I love it. Make sure you get the right size. How tall are you? What bikes have you ridden (and what were the sizes)? Some bikes seem to be a little different than other bikes at the same size.
Im 5,6. I have a p2 and its a long.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Talk to Tyler and Cam, they might be able to sell you something. When you're down at PoloGrounds just ask around, a lot of MTBers have old DH rigs they wanna part with.

Call up all the NorCal shops and ask what they have for cheap. Many, many shops order a freeride rig, and three years later they still can't get rid of it, and will cut a deal. I've gotten many a bike quite cheaply this way. My shop, for example, has a Trek Session for about half of retail price.

Check out the 2006 Big Hits from Specialized, they're going for cheap. Even the old Big Hits with a 24" rear wheel ride really well, don't break, and are uber cheap. The Kona Stinky or Stab line up is really nice as well, and is quite reliable. Bullitts are great, and Orange/Morewood last for a long time.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
mtnbrider said:
Compare your tob tube length (if you like it) to a bike you are looking at. In my opinion, that is more important than the seat tube length.
a lot of people like longer bikes for downhill bikes. I know that the toptube legnth on my downhill bike is about an inch longer than my dirt jump bike.

if you're going to look at a bullit, then i'd suggest the size small if you're 5'6". when i had a bullit i was 5'10" and my medium fit well.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Used can be good, but know what to look for (cracking, signes of abuse, etc.). Last year's closeouts are also really good. Lots of times they are not advertised - just go to your LBS and ask if they can find any good deals on last year's stuff.

If you do want to go new, I'd look at the IH Yakuza series. Good bang for the buck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd recommend trying to ride as many different bikes as possible before you make a decision. Find what feels good and fits you. If possible, take a few actual dh runs on it. A lot of companies send trailers of test bikes to big events at mountains. Hit them up and see what you like.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I also have a 04 SGS DH Pro that I got from Supergo new on closeout for $1300 no tax-- AWESOME DEAL
I've been super happy with it and i just put a 888RC on it- it feels awesome

get an Iron Horse on year end closeout. you will spend about 1300-1400 but it will last you, and you can always upgrade it fairly easily

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
AirAddict said:
a lot of people like longer bikes for downhill bikes. I know that the toptube legnth on my downhill bike is about an inch longer than my dirt jump bike.

if you're going to look at a bullit, then i'd suggest the size small if you're 5'6". when i had a bullit i was 5'10" and my medium fit well.
I'm 5'4 and my bullit is a medium, and it fits me perfect (the small, felt too short). My hardtail has about a 21.5" TT. I got the medium, because it was about that. I guess I like longer bikes.

Just ride a bunch of bikes, and see what if small or medium feels better for you.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
...You should buy a fullface, shin/knee pads...elbow and a suit if your going all out.

Also chances are if your buying used you wont be buying from a company...you well be buying for a person...who owns a bike....from a company.... The SC Bulliet is your best option i think, you can find them for very cheap and they last.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
...You should buy a fullface, shin/knee pads...elbow and a suit if your going all out.

Also chances are if your buying used you wont be buying from a company...you well be buying for a person...who owns a bike....from a company.... The SC Bulliet is your best option i think, you can find them for very cheap and they last.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Apex's are pretty big. I have a nomad. Read my review: http://www.ridemonkey.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/14/cat/59

What are you going to put in it? The Apex is huge.

Shin/knee pads, elbow guards and a full face are a very good idea. What kind of downhill are you going to do? If you are riding lifts/shuttling/racing, a full upper suit would be ideal.

661 and Rockgardn make really good stuff. Lot of companies make good helmets. Go to a bikeshop and try some one. Different brands fit different.

Ebay is a good place to look for bikes, as is here.
http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/bullit_Cycling_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ7294

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1066926

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
He means it doesn't hold a full face in the pocket. What you do is put the buckles that are on the pocket through the helmet (out the face area), then buckle it. It holds one fine. I've done that for climbs and it's pretty secure.

Rossco224

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
England
Ide say a Patriot. SC fork to start. But There cheap in the U.K. Nomad frame sell for £1800 here. Stick with something simple like single pivot. And avoid DC forks. More damage than good. My op

Robusto

Monkey
rigidhack said:
If you do want to go new, I'd look at the IH Yakuza series. Good bang for the buck.
Earlier this spring I bought a new '05 Ironhorse Yakuza Kumicho, and I am loving it. I paid around 1300 for it, and Ive put about 1300 in parts into it, but thats just the fork and some smaller stuff like pedals and bars/stem etc. Out of the box, the bike rides awesome except for the fork (Manitou Stance Kingpin). Im pretty sure that the newer models come with either a boxxer or a super T. Either way, much better quality than the stance. The newer models also dont come with the floating rear brake... which I have had some trouble with on mine. Considering that Ironhorse has made a number of improvements on an already plenty capable DH rig, I would say that buying one of these would probably be one of the best ways to go if you would like to buy new.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
zmtber said:
buy used, by doing this you get a nicer bike with a greater build for the same price as a worst one new.
:stupid:
Also, check out Ironhorse bikes. My first DH bike was an Ironhorse SGS DH Pro. Great bike...a little heavy, but definitely great for DHing.

p2djer

Chimp
Jul 28, 2005
aptos california
I think im gonna save up for a bullit frame. Then build it from there.

Would a 36 talas work or should I get a talas?

Would high rollers be good for dh?

What rims should I get?

Sould I go with avid or hayes for brakes?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I would look for a used 2006 66rc2x (some near new ones are selling on this site now I believe), maybe avid mechs, get the loco wheelset from performance bikes, and a Saint or Hone crankset off of ebay. If you get the hones make sure you get ones with the pedal inserts, they have a stronger BB axle . . .

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Highrollers are good all around tires.

For rims:
Mavic EX729's are really strong, while not very heavy. The olders ones are called D321s (they only changed the name).

Sun Singletracks are a little lighter, while still strong, but not as strong.

Rossco224

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
England
Ide avoid the Fox 36s. 66 are the ones. My next up/downgrade if you like. Ex729s in my opinion are not the old D321 of the good old days. Sun MTX are good alround F/R rim. Only 32 hole tho i think. No 1 on here use Hope brakes? Bit pricey in the states? Get on Ebay and buy a new/secondhand frame and bits. Know it makes sense.