Quantcast

What valuable electronics have you seen destroyed?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
But power plus moisture will. It electroplates between traces and shorts 'em. Hence, if gear gets wet, pull plug, batteries or both, rinse well in distilled water and dry for a long time.
Key right there, Distilled water.

Now for mine, I saw My Laptop obliterated at aboput 50 MPH in my Mirror when My Zipper on my backpack Failed and the LT fell out. I was on the Scooter By the way. Fun FUn, All I can say Is thank got I bought the insurance.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
On a related note, my brother just got back from El Salvador and was telling me about a hostel he stayed in that had a water heater thing attached to the shower head....which would regularly send bolts of electricity through the water, blasting the occupant.
Hostel 3, Reality

Let's see here, stepped on a cat eye micro wireless computer, accidently sent it's replacement threw the wash cycle. Accidently knocked my sub woofer down three stories straight onto the top of campus securitie's patrol vehicle.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
My boss once left a notebook on the roof of his car and drove to work. That sucker hung on for a few miles. He went back to pick up the remains. The drive looked somewhat intact and I told him I had some cables and could help him get the data off of it. He picked it up and shook it, lots of silver flecks started falling out all over the floor. That was beyond my skill level.

Almost 20 years ago I worked at CDW in chicago and I once pulled a serial card (yep, they used to be cards) out of a customer's computer while it was running. Doh!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
It was about ten years ago and I no longer remember the model, but I saw a DEC Alpha Workstation get tossed out of a third floor window onto a parking lot. COOL!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
saw my dad take his work laptop and throw it like a frisbee across his parking lot when they told him his hole office would be getting new ones. broke a nextel yelllow clamshell military grade phone in a bike crash, saved calf from getting sliced open. had an ipod video in my shirt pocked (the dork style shirt pocket) on a bike ride, fell out and watched a car hit it before i could save it. only had it for about a week. sledge hammer to a few tvs.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Recently heard a loud bang while in the server room. A SUNfire 4500 (48x 500Gb in an enclosure) got dropped 3 or 4ft. +20 disks totalled before the machine was even racked. 50K$ worth of equipment...

Also saw a full cabinet suffer when the raised floor failed under it. For fellow sysadmin monkeys, imagine 4x LTO3 heads and 3 expansion units (with about 700 tapes)... Aouch!

Oh... and I've dropped a fully configured IBM x345 at the time. :oops: