Quantcast

What would you do...

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Time to put on some hypothetical shoes...

-Frame posted for sale here on RM for $1500 or best offer
-You offer full $1500
-Ad does not mention anything about shipping
-Seller mentions he cant ship for two weeks
-Transaction is agreed upon and paid for in full
-Seller has cash in hand for 2 weeks
-Several PM's back and forth for a week discussing all details of transaction
-Discussed several times the exact shipping date, etc...
-NEVER was shipping charges discussed
-Since you paid full asking price, you assume seller will swallow shipping

-Finally, shipping day arrives, you log on and have a PM:

"Hey, I'm about to go ship. As I mentioned in my PINKBIKE AD, buyer pays shipping, so I'm gonna sent it COD, hope thats OK"

-You are now pissed off
-What PINKBIKE AD???
-What shipping charges???
-COD??? (more charges.. UPS charges for COD service)

-You send a reply PM saying this is the first you've heard of shipping
-You dont want it sent COD because you will not be present to sign
-You also dont want it sent COD because there are extra fees
-You tell the seller that if he wants to stick you with shipping charges NOW, you'd rather just Paypal him.

-By pure luck, the seller sees the PM and replies that he wont ship it COD
-You go look on "PINKBIKE" and find seller's ad similar to ad on this site
-Seller does not mention anything about "buyer pays shipping" in either ad
-You mention this again to seller via PM
-He responds with "oops... thought I put that on Pinkbike"

Again, WTF does Pinkpike have to do with anything???

-At this point it is obvious that seller is expecting you to pay the $40-50 shipping charge for the frame
-You deal with it

-Two days later you get a PM from the seller, "shipping was $100" (9lb frame mind you)
-You say, WTF???? (considering you just shipped a complete DH bike via UPS from east to west coast for $110)

-Seller provides a scan of receipt showing the following:
=full size bike box, resulting in "oversize/60lb billable weight" (again 9lb frame)
=seller had UPS "pack and ship" which added to the cost
=seller insured for $2600 instead of $1500 (if frame is lost, would you get your $1500 cash back, or $2600? Does the seller keep $1100?)

NOW.... What would you do?

a) dont pay anything because shipping was not discussed and seller was obviously being sneeky by attempting to send COD w/o ever discussing

b) pay $100 for shipping for a 9 lb. frame

c) pay $50 (half cost) which should have been a more realistic cost w/ the proper insurance, proper size box and no UPS charges for packing, etc...

:nopity:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One born every minute.

You don't exactly have much leverage, considering he has the money and the frame already, and you did not discuss shipping until after the fact.

You might demand your money back, and maybe he will give it to you.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
shipping for a 9# frame should not exceed $30, maybe $50 with insurance.
Seller never mentioned buyer pays shipping, his bad. At this point if he won't send, he's about to introduce himself to the world of mail fraud.
If you are willing to eat the shipping, have him package the frame (show pictures), then measure it (again pictures), and you setup the shipping. Seller can then take your pre-paid shipping order (email him the barcode), and drop off the package.
Also, tell him that life sucks when you are 14 and don't know how to sell isht online. Life lessons are learned daily, and this is one of them. Deal with the end resutls of your dealings. If you do not mention shipping cost before the funds are sent, it's on you as the shipper to eat them.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Hardly a sucker.

Frame has been shipped, arriving today.

Seller is expecting the full $100. I would be willing to pay the $50 and meet him half way but the more I think about it the more pissed off I am because again:

-shipping was not discussed during deal
-seller tried to be sneaky and COD it to me initially (which would have been $100+.... I would have been PISSED!!!)
-seller tried to reference a Pinkbike ad, after the fact (which also mentioned nothing about shipping)
-seller was obviously knowing he was being sneaky
-seller had UPS "pack and ship", again on what he expected to be my dime
-insured for almost double the dollar amount of our transaction, again on what he expected to be my dime
-shipped in a full size bike box instead of smaller frame box which caused the shipping to be so high

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I choose option 'a' and fully agree with your logic regarding him swallowing the shipping since he failed to mention it during the sale (and since you gave him full asking price). If he wanted to take the lazy way out and use an expensive pack&ship option, he should've got your buy-in first. Caveat: If $1500 is a screaming deal for this particular frame, I'd consider sending him funds for reasonable shipping costs.
- Joe

NOW.... What would you do?

a) dont pay anything because shipping was not discussed and seller was obviously being sneeky by attempting to send COD w/o ever discussing

b) pay $100 for shipping for a 9 lb. frame

c) pay $50 (half cost) which should have been a more realistic cost w/ the proper insurance, proper size box and no UPS charges for packing, etc...

:nopity:

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
The frame typically sells (used) on RM, eBay, PB for $1200-1600.

Seller had been attempting to sell this for $1500 OBO for several months.

I'm still leaning towards option "A" (been stewing over this for a week), however, the better man in me may end up going with option "C".

Until seller gets an attitude adjustment, I'll be sticking with "A" for now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you can, save copies of the ad (especially if it makes no mention of shipping), and all your correspondences with the seller. If he's already sent the frame and you haven't sent him any money, don't. If you get the frame and its not COD, call it a day.

If the seller pesters you for the money, inform him that prior to payment shipping was not agreed to as part of the transaction/sale, and show him the ad where it's not mentioned, and all your communicatiosn with him where payment WASN'T discussed. Tell him that you're pretty sure its illegal to change the terms of a sale after payment has been received.

edit: if the guy continues to be a dick, tell him that you'd be willing to split the shipping charges with him. Not only is that fair (considering payment for shipping wasn't discussed), remind him that you gave him full asking price for the frame. You didn't haggle with him to get the price down - if you had gotten him to lower the price and pay for shipping, he probably wouldn't have made as much compared against the full asking price.

Last edited: