Quantcast

what's the old piece of bike equipment you still use on a regular basis?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh's post of the '96 darkside got me thinking about this...i've got a few old, vintage parts laying about, for reasons unknown even to me, sitting in my basement.

but my '98 (i think) z1 is still going strong, and is usually on my evil (the boxxer's been on for a while though). it's the same fork which shrymp had on her hardtail pictures a while ago.

oh, and the headset on the evil is a chris king circa '97.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
The oldest things are a Bontrager saddle from 2000 and a Thomson stem from 2001. The seat is beat and has rips, bent saddles, and the stitching is coming apart, but it was on my first real bike that I spent one laborious year saving for, and I am not going to give it up.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Bikes are likes cars or wives. Get rid of them every few years.

I wish I still had my original 70's Schwinn AppleKrate though... :sad:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
stinkyboy said:
Bikes are likes cars or wives. Get rid of them every few years.

I wish I still had my original 70's Schwinn AppleKrate though... :sad:
Thoes things are worth bank now!

I've been looking to buy one or a Grey Ghost.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I generally sell or give away stuff I'm not using. But I do have some interesting parts in the garage, like some mid-90's Cannondale CODA cranks, late 90's XTR stuff (way too beat up to be usable, but can't bring myself to throw away XTR components).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just bought an 01' monster plan on using it as my main dh fork...I love that thing, one of my favorite bike parts of all time.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
a '96 Nishiki Colorado (stock execpt stem/bars/slicks) is what I use on my trainer
Oh yeah, I have a 97 nishiki rigid with GRIPSHIFTS

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I've got a 98 camelbak mule that keeps getting patched up and a titec berserkr DH Ti saddle about the same age. the ti rails are indestructable, but the leather has seen a few repairs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I want a cotton picker so bad :thumb:
I have a 70's Schwinn Typhon with a pretty good paint job but I'm debating re-painting it and pimping it out. I'm not sure what to do. The Typhoons look silly with tall bars on them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My Camelbak Mule is the oldest thing I use regularly, from about 1996. Oh, and I have a portable Blackburn hand pump from 1996 as well.

My parts are '02 and newer, but I do have a bunch of '94-'96 parts in a bin. They're all in good shape and I can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good parts... I'm a bit of a packrat :dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my entire xc bike with the exception of tires, tubes, pedals, grips, handlebar, and stem dates from 1996.

first gen xtr with the lettering almost worn through from my ankle? check.
chris king hubs from that year that still are like new? check.
tange prestige tubes with breezer dropouts? check.
rigid fork? check. :dead:

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I just bought an 01' monster plan on using it as my main dh fork...I love that thing, one of my favorite bike parts of all time.
I actually ride a 99' Monster. Of course it is heavy as **** but so I am. It is butter smooth though.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The oldest thing I have is a Ritchey CPR-14. I would guess that it is from 1993 or '94.

Wondermarmot

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
I've got a old set of spin wheels that I rocked on my old GT xc bike. I ditched the bike and now they are just collecting dust in the shed. Even though I don't own anything they could fit on, I just can't get ride of them.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
manhattanprjkt83 said:
The 02 is better. :p Too bad I sold mine over the winter for a measly 275. Even had the upgraded 03 crowns and integrated stem.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
CHOP said:
I actually ride a 99' Monster. Of course it is heavy as **** but so I am. It is butter smooth though.
that was actually my favorite, i was in 9th grade when it came out, and would have done ANYTHING for it...Esp when it was on that stab dee lux, with the curved frame...god i loved that bike...I eventually bought my own monster in 01 but sold it...

Now i got another...:)

Have you had to buy any parts? I am wondering if i should buy up some stuff, because i dont intend on getting rid of it...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've got original Bontrager saddles (leather/ti) on my SS and Bontrager CX bikes and XTR Canti's on the CX bike as well.

Also have a set of '93 XTR cranks on my SS that roll smoother than any other setup I've tried since.

Used to have a full '93 XTR group, but it's been parted out over the years.

I'm sure there's more stuff in the garage, but it doesn't get used 'regularly'.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
jvp108 said:
I've got a 98 camelbak mule that keeps getting patched up and a titec berserkr DH Ti saddle about the same age. the ti rails are indestructable, but the leather has seen a few repairs.
I have a pair of 1998 Pearl Izumi shorts that I used yesterday and will use tomorrow, I'm sure that counts. Also the original 1997 Shimano DX-636 clipless pedals that are on my DH bike count for sure. My entire XC bike is circa 2000 or so. And I'll be racing the shiznit out of it from here on out.

I bought my King headset in 2001 and it's on my slalom bike, that counts too. The black color faded to pewter.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
Come on man, thats a F'ing dope bike though!!

I would never pay that much though.
wow, that's nuts.

if i wanted to buy my bike i had as a kid, it'd be far cheaper:

i think mine was black w/ orange decals.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Polandspring88 said:
The 02 is better. :p Too bad I sold mine over the winter for a measly 275. Even had the upgraded 03 crowns and integrated stem.
i think it is actually an 02' i got it for $150 shipped! It wouldnt make sense for me to ever sell it now...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stinkyboy said:
Made my day:

:drool:
i totally agree...:drool:...there is a local guy that rebuilds them and sells them for that kind of cash...

Something about the name is so politically incorrect that you just want it!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I've got a 1989 Novara Ponderosa that is my daily driver. The newest parts on it are cranks (2005 that's when the original Biopace stuff was replaced), pedals (2004), tires (1996!!) and grips (1993).

Bar top thumb shifters (7spd) RULE!

It will be retired to rail trail duty next week...

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Have you had to buy any parts? I am wondering if i should buy up some stuff, because i dont intend on getting rid of it...
This will be my 3rd season on it and the only 2 things I have done is changed the oil and had to replace the preload spacers. One of the spacers was chipped so I just made new ones with pvc.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
bikenweed said:
I have a pair of 1998 Pearl Izumi shorts that I used yesterday and will use tomorrow, I'm sure that counts.
Pfftt.. those things are FRESH! I have some circa 1988 shorts with a permskidmark that are still going strong!