Quantcast

what's the old piece of bike equipment you still use on a regular basis?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
There's a lot of noobs here... :)

I have my old XC race bike from '91 with XT cranks, flite saddle Mavic rims etc of the same vintage.

It's a totally **** ride tho'... use it as a road-bike now, it scares me on the dirt, dunno how I used to race the damn thing. Stem was huuuuge.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My fixie is a mid-80's steel frame with an even older Campy BMX crank and even older campy hubs. I have a pile of useless 90's crap like bb's, 1" headsets, freehub bodies, old hubs, etc. No idea why I keep it around, I don't even look through it anymore when I build something new. :rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Not mine, but Liam is now rocking an Old Kona Hahanna frame courtesy of Stosh, up front is an old 1998 or so Sid fork - still in great shape.

I had some of Narlus' old stuff - probably should have kept some of it, but money was tight for me last winter time, and many great components were sold by me ( I still feel kinda bad about it) including a classic Ted Wojcik softtrack FS frame, some killer Syncros Revolutions cranks, and some really trick Avid Ultimate brake levers.

God damned money problems. :mumble:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Not mine, but Liam is now rocking an Old Kona Hahanna frame courtesy of Stosh, up front is an old 1998 or so Sid fork - still in great shape.

I had some of Narlus' old stuff - probably should have kept some of it, but money was tight for me last winter time, and many great components were sold by me ( I still feel kinda bad about it) including a classic Ted Wojcik softtrack FS frame, some killer Syncros Revolutions cranks, and some really trick Avid Ultimate brake levers.

God damned money problems. :mumble:
I think Aubrey is still mad at me for building her up a sweet trek fuel. She still says that Kona frame was better.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
stosh said:
I have a 70's Schwinn Typhon with a pretty good paint job but I'm debating re-painting it and pimping it out. I'm not sure what to do. The Typhoons look silly with tall bars on them.
i re-built my 1970 typhoon over the winter. the parts date all over the place: the morrow coaster is 1936; the brooks saddle, tuff neck cruiser bars & bullseye hub are from the 80's; the jad cranks are early 90's. the only part i've had since new is the mountain cycle fork (~91), while pretty much useless (the elastomers have hardened over the years; effective travel: 1"), they work fine for this application. super fun ride. gratuitous picture re-post:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Miyata SS Road bike mid 80's or so.

I still have the RS Quadra 10 off my first MTB. 1995 Diamondback Response Sport SE. I have a clapped out 97 Judy XC for some reason too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
xy9ine said:
i re-built my 1970 typhoon over the winter. the parts date all over the place: the morrow coaster is 1936; the brooks saddle, tuff neck cruiser bars & bullseye hub are from the 80's; the jad cranks are early 90's. the only part i've had since new is the mountain cycle fork (~91), while pretty much useless (the elastomers have hardened over the years; effective travel: 1"), they work fine for this application. super fun ride. gratuitous picture re-post:
I saw this the other day, it got me thinking I should do the same to mine. I hate losing the original paint. Thing is I hate the color of the original paint though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stosh said:
I saw this the other day, it got me thinking I should do the same to mine. I hate losing the original paint. Thing is I hate the color of the original paint though.
Wanna sell the frame? I need one of those!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We have an old hutch hanging in the garage. We also have some older XTR stuff hanging on the basement walls and Sq-Earl is running an old Z1 on his Cowan (It's the orange one...probably late 90s).

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I still ride my 1991 Trek 8700 ZX carbon that is basically like a cyclocross bike now. It gets the most miles simply because I take it on my long road rides out to the national forest and then hit some trails a bit before heading back. I also have a pair of early 90's Shimano DX clipless with platform pedals. I am blown away by these pedals and they are on my main ride.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Wondermarmot said:
I've got a old set of spin wheels that I rocked on my old GT xc bike. I ditched the bike and now they are just collecting dust in the shed. Even though I don't own anything they could fit on, I just can't get ride of them.
Wanna sell em?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
stinkyboy said:

That's freakin gorgeous!!!
I totally agree. I normally hate that style of bike but that is really really nice.

My oldest bit? Not a bike part but a King Dick Spoke Key, given to me by now now deceased neighbour back when I was about 14, dates from about 1920 apparantly (he got it when he was a kid), made of some crazy hard steel that is now 'brown' but not rusty if you know what I mean, and still works great. It is basically a cross shape and each arm has a different sized spoke wrench, of which size '0' seems to fit MTB nipples perfectly. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have had and worn the same cheap ass Bell helmet I got at WalMart in '96 I think. It's a plain old XC style that I have never hit my head while wearing. The stupid visor has been glued on enough times to warrent a replacement, but I need to surf the sales first.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
OGRipper said:
DA WINNER!!!! WOW, that has to be the most gorgeous frankenbike
ever. :love:

Edit: Hutch pedals even?!?!
thanks. no, crupi pedals. (fantastic quality & very similar, only you can buy them new for about 1/3 the price of vintage hutch). scary sharp cages.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Oh yeah, i have a pair of 1993 Diadoro clipless shoes that were lost at the parents house for years. Broke them back out this year and they are the most comfortable shoes ever!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
mud'n'sweat said:
Oh yeah, i have a pair of 1993 Diadoro clipless shoes that were lost at the parents house for years. Broke them back out this year and they are the most comfortable shoes ever!
I have a pair of the first sidi dominators that I still use for road riding.

Also still using a pair of ringle(?) quick releases -- the ones that you close first then twist them tight.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wumpus said:
I have a set of Ritchey cranks from the mids 90's that started out on my Klein Rascal that are now doing duty on the crossbike.
What POS cranks. They only lasted thirteen years of continuous service before cracking at the spindle interface.:mumble: I wonder if Ritchey will warranty them.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Hmmm, my current hardtail urban/DJ/DH bike is a 95 Specialized Rockhopper A1 frame with a McMahon Bullseye crankset from some time in the early-mid 90's and a set of Club Roost Go Fast bars from around 97. I still have my carbon Flite saddle from around that time as well but I'll be damned if I'm gonna ride it.
On a side note, out on my dads farm we have a workshop with all the parts from when I was XC racing, NOS Real bottom brackets and chainring sets, XTR deraileurs, Regina Z chains, Grip shift sets, I couldn't believe we still had all that stuff out there. There's even the old Specialized Alez carbon butted road bike. Memories...........

TBCLLC

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
thanks. no, crupi pedals. (fantastic quality & very similar, only you can buy them new for about 1/3 the price of vintage hutch). scary sharp cages.
Hutch pedals are available again, and are even ten bucks less than Crupi :clapping:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
oh damn

i have a 1995 Bontrager race frame with an Edco BB sitting around...
and some wheels for it with XT hubs and first gen Mavic SUP Ceramic rims

plan to rebuild it but never get around to do so...

and my brother in law is still using my old Fat Chance Yo Eddy complete with forks as a cruiser...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
spooky pitboss/2000ish marzocchi Z1QR20.....more of a museum artifact....

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
1998 rockshox judy xc "long travel" 80mm. Stil one of the best forks I've ridden.
Some old shimano shoes. I got a new pair of shoes last year because they were a good deal. But the shimanos are still in just as good condition as when I bought them.