Quantcast

what's the word on burly non steel cranks these days?

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
would prefere a 5 bolt alloy crank i can set up for 2 + MRP lrp. the new badger cranks (which i have had and were great) now suck.

i am hard on equipment and like it stiff, so heavy is ok and probably good. otherwise i am looking at the 4 bolt saint or the hossefelt (sp?) not the hussefelt.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
i belive you are speeking of the hozefeller (slightly better spelling haaha) I have a set their good cranks and their not to heavy.

Just so you know not many companys are using 5 bolt any more, the 4bolt set up is gaining favour.

As for the best beef in the biz. I'd recomend the RaceFace Diablos cranks. they are huge! + have an excellent warrenty in case you mess up on your new 30 ft drop :)

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
5 bolt for the most part is being faded out. Almost all of the cranks you will find today are 4 bolt. On that note I picked a set of Diabolus cranks a little while ago and so far they rock. Have only had one ride on them, but with the few drops and stuff I put them through they seemed to hold up really nicely.

If you are interested I have a set of 5 bolt Race Face Northshore DH cranks for sale. PM me for more info.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I switched from profiles to raceface turbine square tapers on my urban bike with old skool 110 spacing. Dropped a bunch of unecessary weight and so far, so good. It's not limited my riding any.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Stop being a weight weenie by some profiles and call it a day. This is freeriding not a spandex wearing contest. :D

Just kidding, but seriously, a set of profiles will still be going strong long after you've hosed several pairs of the best alloy cranks available. If your dead set against it do your self a favor and atleast dont buy the northshores. They strip out on the spindle after some moderate abuse and will never stay tight after that again. I've gone through 2sets, what a waste of money. Thats just my 2 cents

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Changleen said:
Never had a problem with my RaceFace NorthShores. Done quite a bit of dropping on them too.
Pure Shizz. You must ride like a girl. :sneaky:
I had a pair on my hardtail........Junk. Had a pair on my Dare..........Junk. The only thing good about them is that there gonna warranty em so I can pass em along to someone else.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
behind you, don't wait up.
Mr Tiles said:
I switched from profiles to raceface turbine square tapers on my urban bike with old skool 110 spacing. Dropped a bunch of unecessary weight and so far, so good. It's not limited my riding any.
hey ... glad those are working out for ya. :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Changleen said:
Never had a problem with my RaceFace NorthShores. Done quite a bit of dropping on them too.
Most people who consider themselves "droppers" don't understand what kind of abuse Amish dishes out. He is what you would call a "worst case scenario" for crank manufacturers. No fear and the skill to back it up.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I've been running RF Diabolus cranks for over a year now and have had two pairs. They replaced some Kona Buldge cranks and actually feel stiffer and took off a bunch of weight. If you're super hard on parts/like to grind/don't have much finesse then sure, go with profiles, they're probably the burliest cranks you can buy, but for most I think they're overkill.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
it should rock but considering they are not avalible yet no one will have a true answer to this question. i have only have one problem with a FSA crank in the past and they hooked my up really fast with a new set

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
rigidhack said:
Has anybody heard anything about the 2pc FSA Gravity (external bearing) setup?
I've ridden the ISIS version, but the External setup isn't out yet, I don't think. The ISIS ones are nice, but in my opinion, I like the Diabolus X-Type setup a little better. They almost feel like steel cranks.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Well a trade off might be the FSA Pounders

STEEL crank arms
ISIS drive BB
They are 4 bolt. :(

I haven't had a wimper out of them on my DH bike. Though I had a hard time finding them when I wanted them. I went straight to the source....FSA is about 6 miles from my house. But the cranks were still hard to find.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
My first set of steel cranks was the Azoniv 454's that I put on my Scratch, and they put EVERY aluminum crank that I have ever had to shame. I want to put a set of Deity cranks on my DH bike, they are far stiffer than most any aluminum crank I've ever tried.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
motomike said:
haha I was about to say that... I can't stand it when I hear "holzfelter"
haha. I hate it when they "Hozzefelts", or "Hozzelfellers". Kinda like when people say "Mar-zotch-e" instead of "Mar-zo-key", it just sounds retarded.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
dexter said:
deity cranks with a ti bb. best of all worlds. light as truvativ but 100x stronger
Deity cranks, especially with a Ti BB, put all the "lightweight" DH aluminum cranksets I've ridden to shame, period.