Quantcast

What's up with EC taking out the little guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know if its been said or not, but its clear someone can take somebody down in every corner. Doesn't mean its right. Sort of like the "I could have won if I didn't crash" finish line quote. They don't give points out for the fastest before they crash. If so then I'd be national champ. But I agree with what EC did. Slashing into corners and taking people out is a dirty, hopeless way to win. But its a helluva way to prove a point. Thanks EC.

Gobig

Chimp
May 10, 2007
Pay Back is part off Pro Racing. Go Big believes in respect me and i will respect you back!!! The young kid should learn from this if he wants to have a healthy Pro career! Ride Smart!!! Thats why EC is still around living the dream !

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
This is funny. A guy starts a thread trying to tarnish ECs reputation and somehow ends up making him even more of a saint.

If this was surfing, Mitch would have been punched in the face, had his fins snapped off, been kicked out of the water by everyone there, tires slashed, window smashed, and would never have been allowed to surf that spot again. ...and not one person would have seen anything wrong with that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think the hard part is this all occurred during a very charged race situation.

Thankfully, no one was injured, and this matter can be closely easily.

Tempers will flare and no one looks good here. One kid took a sketch move and the senior pro gave a little payback.

I don't think a public apology is necessary, and if Carter was notorious for these kinds of incidents, it would be a long time before this was forgotten. But he is not known for this, and I am sure Mitch Ropelatto wants this incident forgotten as well.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
To me it seems like a more effective way would be to just go faster and beat him, rather than stoop to the level of an immature 17 year old. Time wasting retaliation is something that's expected out of people that age, not of the more senior racers.

Although it looks like neither of them won, so they might have both been way far behind first. Good on EC for drilling some sense into a young reckless guy, but just sounds immature to take effort out of your PRO RACE RUN just to take someone out.
This is exactly what I have been trying to say.

Look, I had no idea that when I started this post, it would stir up the sh!t that it did. I like EC. I think he is a good guy. I respect his riding. I know he has done great things with Jr racers and the whole Tribe thing is great for racing in general. Good on ya.
I also think there is a place for agressive riding, bumping and crazyness that is 4X. I like the fact that people have and will continue to take each other out in an overall effort to win. I also like it that a 17 year old can come in and rock EC's world.

I also want to say that I continue to speak for myself and myself only, not for Jr X racers, Mitch Ropelatto, or any other kid that got worked over in some odd 4X event 5 years ago.

Happy riding everyone.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Bicycle people are funny. Seven pages of chatter about a pass move and then a schooling move. You guys evidently never saw Czech CZ pilot Jaroslov Falta race motocross :D.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
BC VAN

Mitch needs to learn that you can't come through a Pro MountainCross field like it's 16 EX at a BMX race with inside bomber moves, i can promise you that if he continues to ride like this the results will be similar...maybe not as intense but it will get ugly, i have a lot of respect for Mitch's skill, talent and youthful determination and told him so after the race... he just needs to back it down 2%, you cant win every turn of every race every time.
Right on. When you are coming up it's easy to go overboard. There is this feeling like your body is physically capable of doing anything and as a result you make bad judgement calls. I've done it more than once and got thumped for it... THEN all of a sudden something dawned on me... :biggrin:.... maybe I shouldn't be doing that... maybe I WAS being an idiot... maybe I should be doing something differently...

The first time I got retaliation for pulling a hero move I was ready to fight and felt like I was the one who was in the right. I thought there was nothing wrong with taking out a few guys because - that was racing... but there are clean hits and then there are dangerous/dirty hits... I didn't know the difference... there IS this unspoken "track etiquette" that you have to learn. If you haven't raced BMX or MountainCross it's hard to understand. If you are just watching from the sidelines - when guys go down - it all looks the same - but it's not....

Hacktastic
To me it seems like a more effective way would be to just go faster and beat him, rather than stoop to the level of an immature 17 year old. Time wasting retaliation is something that's expected out of people that age, not of the more senior racers.
The kid had to understand. This is how things are done in BMX and MountainCross. It's a physical game of give and take. See above for the "track etiquette" thing... Pulling a guy aside after the race will not accomplish very much... Especially a young cat... Trust me... I WAS that guy and I didn't give a hot fu@k what anyone had to say to me - I was right and the other guys were the ones who had it wrong... then after eating my handlebars and some dirt a few times and asking other riders "WTF?!" it all kind of came together as to what I was doing wrong...

Braaap
Look, I had no idea that when I started this post, it would stir up the sh!t that it did.
... I think someone's pants are on fire... :biggrin:

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
The kid should be glad to have cut his teeth against a guy like EC. Now that his balls have dropped he needs to learn how to reign in all that post-pubescent angst.

Good on EC for addressing it openly on here. However, probably never needed to be posted in the first place.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I also like it that a 17 year old can come in and rock EC's world.
Like to see if this Mitch kid can hang with the veteran on the DS course?
I don't know him - sounds like he has talent, only because EC said so.
But, my point is MTX is about the sprint! There is much more to slalom than the start - 17yr. old quickness - and the balls to stick it in on a Legend.
I have seen very few younguns be able to hang with the Alpha Dogs of slalom.
Seen alot of fast kids over the years but, to put it together against Carter's and the Lopes' level...
Experience almost always prevails!
J.D. is about the only exception to this I have seen in many years! He can actually beat these guys occasionally.
Bet yah he knows when to take or brake as well.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
what did you think would happen when you posted this? that your post would be the only one? that every post after would agree with you?

of course it is going to stir stuff up, i know your smarter then that man,

i find it crazy that you like the fact that its ok to ride way over your head going for the win (Mitch was actually doing his pass for 2nd) and take other riders down with you....but not to stand up for yourself after you get cleaned out.

sorry to burst your bubble but, 3 things have rocked my world, my father passing, my kids being born and my wife, haha

i do however think that Mitch has the potential to be a top rider on the World Cup tour.

interesting point about your 8th grade comment....in grades 1 through 6 i got into a lot of scuffs, when i went to Jr. High it was 7th and 8th combined and the first day of school i saw a fight between two 8th graders and it was way gnarlier then the stuff in 1 through 6, it made me realize my place.

i don't care who it is or what we are racing for.....if someone takes a stupid enough line that is impossible and jeopardizes my health because of it im going to do something about it....simple as that.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say.

Look, I had no idea that when I started this post, it would stir up the sh!t that it did. I like EC. I think he is a good guy. I respect his riding. I know he has done great things with Jr racers and the whole Tribe thing is great for racing in general. Good on ya.
I also think there is a place for agressive riding, bumping and crazyness that is 4X. I like the fact that people have and will continue to take each other out in an overall effort to win. I also like it that a 17 year old can come in and rock EC's world.

I also want to say that I continue to speak for myself and myself only, not for Jr X racers, Mitch Ropelatto, or any other kid that got worked over in some odd 4X event 5 years ago.

Happy riding everyone.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i really think he could hang quite well in the DS, he really does have a ton of talent.

Like to see if this Mitch kid can hang with the veteran on the DS course?
I don't know him - sounds like he has talent, only because EC said so.
But, my point is MTX is about the sprint! There is much more to slalom than the start - 17yr. old quickness - and the balls to stick it in on a Legend.
I have seen very few younguns be able to hang with the Alpha Dogs of slalom.
Seen alot of fast kids over the years but, to put it together against Carter's and the Lopes' level...
Experience almost always prevails!
J.D. is about the only exception to this I have seen in many years! He can actually beat these guys occasionally.
Bet yah he knows when to take or brake as well.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
just for the record, i got no i'll will towards Mitch, even if i hadn't caught him and taken him down i wouldn't have any I'll will towards him, i would however owe him one.
i actually think he is a really good kid, i don't know him real well but he seems quiet and humble...he knows he's fast and thats good, but he doesn't walk around with his chest out.

i hope he develops into the rider he has the potential to be and we can all be stoked on how well he represents our country at the highest level.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
just for the record, i got no i'll will towards Mitch, even if i hadn't caught him and taken him down i wouldn't have any I'll will towards him, i would however owe him one.
i actually think he is a really good kid, i don't know him real well but he seems quiet and humble...he knows he's fast and thats good, but he doesn't walk around with his chest out.

i hope he develops into the rider he has the potential to be and we can all be stoked on how well he represents our country at the highest level.
Yeah, word! We need new blood, You guys have carried the torch for many moons in the only discipline that the U.S. has ruled since it's birth.

Chuck

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, I dont ride 4x, But I understand there are smart lines, and there are stupid lines that get people hurt. Sometimes you can hit those Hero lines, and be fine, the trick there is whats happening around you.

If you ride the pros like its the 16 ex class all the time, and never learn you cant do that, Truth is, you will end up in a way.... you will never win, because if you become known as a dirty rider, the other riders are going to shut your ass out of the race everytime you line up.

Its 4x people, EC even said it, you get taken out, you take otehrs out......Get over it

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Hell track was rad guess they still hadn't discovered what gravity could do?
Now days a start hill like that would be followed by a 50ft. first straight dub!
Funny they had moguls on the track! I am going to have to add some like those
to my slalom course! Maybe a cereal bowl and loop de loop too!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Eh. It happens here and there in racing. I just don't know if there needed to be "revenge" really. Especially against a 17 year old. Haha. That's funny. If i did something to a 17 year old like that, i'd be in trouble by everybody for picking on the young buck. Haha. That's funny.
I'd never be able to live that down. People would be clownin me forever because of that.

What if Mitch does it again, but on accident next time? Will there be another "lesson" or "revenge"? You guys going to hire someone to pull a Tonya Harding on him?

To me it just sounds like it was a little bit excessive. BUt i wasn't there and i haven't seen a vid (other than RAD. That was great).

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
My last post on this.

When i line up as pro i don't think about a rider being 17, he is just a pro,

My intent wasn't as a veteran pro to teach Mitch, my intent was that the next time Mitch thinks about riding some crazy line for 2nd place or any place for that matter, that he will think twice.

This is what i do for a living....i can't do it if due to some bone head move i'm layed up for 6 to 8 weeks with another 4 of rehab.

We all know the risk when we put our helmets on, especially in 4x, that is the whole rush of it,
But hard riding and stupid riding are 2 different things,

At some point you have to stand up for yourself and let the other riders know that it isn't going to be ok to let stuff like that happen, for me this was that point.

Again, when i told Mitch there was no way he could pull that line, he chuckled and told me he thinks he can pull it, still!

I was already starting to pedal out of the turn going straight down the next straightaway when i got hit.

I can appreciate everyones position on this even the ones who didn't like what i did,

I don't expect everyone to think it was right, and i'm sure that some are digusted with it and can't believe i would do something like that, I'm ok with that.

But i do hope that everyone will understand my point of view on it.

E.C.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Eh. It happens here and there in racing. I just don't know if there needed to be "revenge" really. Especially against a 17 year old. Haha. That's funny. If i did something to a 17 year old like that, i'd be in trouble by everybody for picking on the young buck. Haha. That's funny.
I'd never be able to live that down. People would be clownin me forever because of that.

What if Mitch does it again, but on accident next time? Will there be another "lesson" or "revenge"? You guys going to hire someone to pull a Tonya Harding on him?

To me it just sounds like it was a little bit excessive. BUt i wasn't there and i haven't seen a vid (other than RAD. That was great).
It's racing. The 17 year old (who I haven't seen complain anywhere btw) was in the wrong the first time. He learned a lesson.

Let it go dude.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
It's racing. The 17 year old (who I haven't seen complain anywhere btw) was in the wrong the first time. He learned a lesson.

Let it go dude.
seriously..
hard to believe how many people are so bent out of shape over this.

EC did the right thing.. you can't let that kind of crap go unchecked.
If the kid pulls this sort of move again and cleans out another rider or two, next time it might be somebody else from the pro class running him down.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I saw the first attempted pass made by mitch and it was sooooo sloppy. trying to basically ride in front of a rider exiting the corner (EC) to get ahead was not smart at all. EC was ahead and holding speed through the corner when this happened. Not clean racing by mitch. True, retaliation was not super smart but I understand why EC did it. What was worse was them almost thorwing down in front of everyone after the race, thats bad representation for your sponsors.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

Let it go dude.
That was my first response on this whole thread. Let what go?

Seems to me like they both probably learned a lesson from this whole thing.

I'm going to head back to your wives, uh I mean mine...

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i know i said no more post, but

Mitch and i discussed the whole deal quietly, at the finish line i waited for him and he put his hand out to me and said "no problem".

the disagreement was with a fan who only saw the bottom half and wanted to let me know how he felt....he came back to me Sunday morning and said he was sorry for everything and didn't know the whole story.

carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.