Quantcast

When did you start downhill??

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
i am 14 and i plan on starting next summer as i dont have enough cash for a bike right now, when did you start doing downhill?
I started DH racing on a proper bike in 2004 at age 29. Have been riding a bike of some sort all my life. Picked up my first MTB in 1995. A full rigid, steel Kona Kiluah. Then graduated to a Voodoo D-Jab Ti hardtail with 3 inches of bottomless travel.:rofl: Got the downhill bug during short summers in Mammoth. Got my first dually in 2003. A Giant AC-2. Great all-around bike, until I took it to Plattekill and learned what REAL DH is all about. Got a Foes DHS Mono in 2004 and started racing as an excuse to go ride. Got hooked immediatley. Racing is a great way to improve your riding ability or/and get hurt. Just got an Xprezo Furax and I love it. Riding bikes is fun.:thumb:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My first DH race was a NORBA national in Helen, GA in 1993 on the same hard tail that I had done the cross-country race on. The following year I stopped racing XC and focused on my career.

I got back into DH racing a year after getting my first full suspension bike in 1999. The last race I did was 1995 at night in February.

crasho

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
chilliwack BC
i have been riding DH for just under 2 years, first bike was a 2007 kona shred, then moved to a 2002 norco team dh, now im on a 05 giant dh team.

i did my first DH race last month and crashed in my first practice run wound up with a concussion

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
When I was born...

oh, you meant bicycles!

2003 with sporadic riding since due to one thing or another, this year is back high frequency.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I got a Giant AC Air Lite :oops:in '04, put a Boxxer Ride on it in '06, and rode Keystone 5-6 days that year. I had absolutely no talent, and Cowboy Up was the first run :rofl:. I think I was shaking from adrenaline after the first section of trail.

I'm 35 in a couple weeks, I might buy a Session 8 and try a few races next year...

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Summer of 07 one day at Northstar on and Ironhorse Aniki. Drastically improved on fr/dh that fall and spring 08 bought a Giant Glory FR. This summer will techincally only be my third year downhilling. Still on my Glory but its all tricked out now. Im 16

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Since '97, but I haven't races since 2006....I've been distracted with XC and Cyclocross

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well I've ridden bikes all my life. Started out with street BMX and got my first Mt. bike when I was 12 (Raleigh M45 with a Rock Shox Judy TT, haha). That's when I did my first real DH trail (Tunnel Trail) and was hooked from then on.

Ever since then been riding Intense bikes, but if everything goes to plan should be on a Morewood in the next couple months.

First started racing when I was 16 and also have not stopped since then! Now that I'm 21 I've been racing more then ever and dedicate my entire summer to traveling to races.

In the long run...I totally encourage you to go out there, get a bike, ride and start racing!! Riding for fun is awesome but I find racing to be even better :D

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
ah the good 'ol days of Mudpuppy events, lots of rain, ridgid DH and hippy pottery for awards. These were my fotmative days of dh. Gotta love East Tennessee and Western NC in the mid 90's for a DH scene. First race on a Fat City Buckshaver... slayed the sport class