Quantcast

When did you start riding

cuteman

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
WV
I really started getting serious about riding two years ago and have been really getting into downhill this year. Ill be 16 in a couple of months and am definitely gonna race downhill 2008. Now Im chronically obsessed with riding and if I dont get a good ride in everyday I start getting depressed- kinda pathetic I know. Anyway, when did you start riding?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You have really good language skills for a 15 yo.

Oh yeah, I started getting into ride at twice your age.

wow, fock.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
I first got started in my sophomore year of Highschool. This past summer I started getting into XC Racing, and I was really bummed about moving to Richmond to go to school because of the lack of trails in close proximity.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I get the same problem too if i don't ride enough. A friend of mine got me into riding in spring of freshmen year (HS) in 2005, started riding downhill summer of 2006, racing that fall, and raced all last year.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
started riding in 6th grade.did my first mountain cross race in 7th grade and my first dh race in 9th grade.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I got my first bike, after riding tricycle when I was probably 4 or 5? I got a mountain bike when I was 8 (1998), a Gary Fisher Tyro (24" wheels, rigid). After school almost everyday after school I rode the trails and fireroads in the canyons by my house in La Canada, in LA. I'd ride to the top which took 45-60min, then go down either a singletrack trail or the fire road like kamikaze. After the singletrack was an eroded ridge trail with lots of dips. I also rode cross country trails with my dad around LA. Maybe I started 'downhilling' at 8? :D

When I moved to SLO, I got a bmx and learned to jump better. It was probably 2003 when I got a Gary Fisher Level Betty and actually got into fr/dh. I went through the flat drop stage on this bike, but I didn't do anything nearly as dumb as my friend... I broke about every part on it, including the frame. My first dh race was with cracked shock mounts. I was scared to hit anything too hard. I replaced that with an azonic evolution hardtail. Now I have a Buillt and a Chameleon.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I first rode a mtn bike when I was 36. I'd had a road bike for about 2 years at that time.

Yes, really. I may have arrived late to the party, but I'm in it for all I'm worth.

:D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I first got started in my sophomore year of Highschool. This past summer I started getting into XC Racing, and I was really bummed about moving to Richmond to go to school because of the lack of trails in close proximity.
There's a sh!tload of trails in and close to Richmond.

Oh and I started riding MTB's about 12 years ago.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
i started riding '88 when i was 7, i goofed off on bmx till '99.from there i did a tour in the navy so i couldn't ride. a buddy of mine got me to go dhing with him in late '05 i was hooked from there. a month later i bought a 7point7 and have been riding since.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD

Are you stupid? From your location, I'm guessing you moved here from NOVA, and depending on where you moved from, there are probably twice as many trails, if not more, and they are about 5 times as good! If you need some guidance to some trails, let me know, I'll point you in the right direction. If you moved here for school, and you are at VCU, you are within riding distance of a kick a$$ 10+mile loop!

I started riding when I was a little kid. Started jumping down stairs in elementry school, and kept riding through high school. I always saw the crazy guys, but never knew how to break into it. I met someone at a local shop my freshman year at college, and he showed me the way. Been racing DH for 4 years, but I took it easy last season, only did the first two races. I've also been having a hard time getting out on my XC bike lately, being so busy with work and wedding planning and all :(

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I rode BMX in the early 80s. Quit around 86 or so. Got a motorcycle. Motorcycle stolen. Decided it would be better for my long term health and driving record that I should just stick to bicycles. I got my first mountain bike around 89 and have been riding since with a few breaks here and there.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I really started riding in 1999 when I had to quit running due to a knee injury. Started racing in 2000 and it's been a rocky ridge ever since :)

splat

Nam I am
I started Riding a Schwinn Apple crate when I was about 6 , but WOuld say It was in college that got real Serious and got my First REAL bike , even though it was a touring Bike , I still Raced on it and got my first USCF license, then in the 80's when Mt Bikes became a Reality I got one of those for an off season training , and have juist kept riding. and to say Cycling is the center of my life would be easy to say , I met my Wife on a bike, one of my Kids was concieved on a bike trip , My kids ride , and I have made many many good friends riding.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Let's see, I started riding when I was 20. I got my first MTB for my 20th birthday actually just to ride around town on, and TN ended up dragging me out onto some trails and I've not been the same since. Although you'd be hard pressed to find me on any dirt lately. I go through phases.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I always loved riding my bike, but I rode a lot more starting at age 9. My dad got me into doing mountain bike tours and an occasional race.....I was hooked. I now have 17 years of racing under my belt :) So even if you beat me, I'm more "experienced" :p

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
About 7-8 years ago I guess. I really started riding well about 4 years ago and started racing XC a couple of years ago. I too find that I am grumpy, depressed, etc. when I don't get to ride or exercise!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
paper route '79-'81 (washington star & washpo)
oh hell way back before you younguns daddys hit puberty I was riding...
1st 2 wheeled bike was in 1959, big old ballon tire cruiser, then stingsrays in elementary, road racing from 71-85, mt biking and road riding since 86
what shape were tires back then?

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
Are you stupid? From your location, I'm guessing you moved here from NOVA, and depending on where you moved from, there are probably twice as many trails, if not more, and they are about 5 times as good! If you need some guidance to some trails, let me know, I'll point you in the right direction. If you moved here for school, and you are at VCU, you are within riding distance of a kick a$$ 10+mile loop!
Just uninformed. I wasn't aware of there being many trails close by. The second reason I didn't bring my bike was because its a little too expensive to leave locked to a bike rack, in the weather. If I decide to get my own place next year, ill probably bring it down.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Started riding with friends when I was maybe in the 7th or 8th grade. I'm in graduate school now. Got progressively more into it. Started as just riding around, then XC, then DH, then road.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I started riding in the '70s after watching Evel Knievel on ABC's Wide World of Sports. We had an old door that we would prop up on a trashcan in the alley and try to imitate him. We would lay other trashcans on their sides and see who could clear the most. My personal record was 13.

jell-oe

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
sunapee, NH
I always rode my bike a TON with my dad when I was a youngin' - got into XC racing when I was 10 or so for a few year. After a bit I got into Paintball, then returned to race/ride DH when i was 14 or so. I'm 18 now, and very poor.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Just uninformed. I wasn't aware of there being many trails close by. The second reason I didn't bring my bike was because its a little too expensive to leave locked to a bike rack, in the weather. If I decide to get my own place next year, ill probably bring it down.
Maybe BigMike can attone for being mean and let you hang your bike at his place. :bonk:

PA check out http://www.cyclingcentralva.org/forums/ for more local riding info. We'd be glad to show you around.