Quantcast

When threads go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh

2month old turner dhr.

Anyone got any suggestions for a frame that has similar geometry but isn't made of cheese?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Let me guess, you are just riding along then it snaps right?

Don't see the point in posting this, you haven't told us what the hell you are doing to make it do that, looks like you have cased a big jump (probably 50/50 the lip) or a fairly large drop. That a big failure, not only have you pulled the bearings out you snapped it at the weld.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I see lots of broken DHRs. Maybe it's just what I see...I don't know anyone who's busted one (not many people here have them), but yeah...Bound to get attacted by the "dave turner is god" cult for this one.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
they will replace it.
I have never seen a DHR break like that.
anything can fail, but generally the DHR is thought of as a very durable frame.

and most importantly,
You spring is TOO soft, repeated bottoming is NOT good for a frame.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Let me guess, you are just riding along then it snaps right?

Don't see the point in posting this, you haven't told us what the hell you are doing to make it do that, looks like you have cased a big jump (probably 50/50 the lip) or a fairly large drop. That a big failure, not only have you pulled the bearings out you snapped it at the weld.
My point? im annoyed with turner and everyone likes to see a cracked frame:greedy:

Landed a jump nigh on perfectly, i acutually rode that out on my chaindevice.

Thats turner number 4 for me, i know turner will happily replace it but im gonna sell it i really never want to ride a turner ever again.

My spring is not too soft.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Did you drill out the swing arm to slacken it and then not remove the excess material to stop things hitting??

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Nope didn't mod the swing arm.

Big jump sure, but landed well. The weld to the down tube is dirty so it had been going to a while, I never spotted anything.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Buy a V10. Seriously, I love Turners (i'd consider a Turner tatt after the support they've given me), but like I say to my other smoothness-challenged friends - buy a V10. If you're gonna go hacking your frame into **** you're gonna need something a bit beefier.

Your description of how that broke is hilarious.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
My spring is not too soft.
You may like the way the bike rides with that spring, but that failure is the cause of repeated bottoming. You bearings went out the BACK. The ONLY way to create that kind of force in that direction is to bottom your shock. (or 50/50 a concrete wall)

You just said that it is #4 for you. There is something specific to your set up that is breaking frames. Lots of others beat the snot out of DHRs and have no problem. Why do you think that is?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Look - either your DHR is setup wrong, you modded it somehow, or you're a hack. You do not destroy DHR's as efficiently as you are doing without some rider/owner influence.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i weigh 240 and ride super aggressively on the east coast, FR and DH, and have taken some hard hits that made me cringe, and my DHR has help up all season. if its setup right, that shouldnt happen.

it also helps to have an avy.:cheers:

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
my shock was setup for me by fox switzerland (also a turner dealer), i run a 50lb heavier spring than they recommend for my weight.

bottom outs are not a regular occurence for me.

my first 3 dhrs went like most at the shock mount.

finally i resent anyone whos not seen me ride calling me a hack.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm not trying to bash you on here by calling you a hack. I don't even think hack riders can destroy a DHR as I've known a couple that are still going strong on their's. It's just impossible for me to believe you've destroyed that many DHRs without some sort of rider influence.

I've personally owned 4 DHRs and the only problem I ever had with one was when I washed out on a corner in the woods and smoked a tree with the downtube so hard the front triangle folded a bit and the Romic shock broke in two from the force of the top-out. And of course, Turner helped me out with a crash replacement on it.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Come onto RM claiming that DHRs are made of cheese and you're going to get some flack. DHRs don't break that often so there's obviously something wrong with your riding style or your bike setup. Manufacturing errors don't happen 4 times in a row to the same person.

Looking at that break it's obvious that the rear wheel was pulled back or up hard, like if you bottomed out really hard. Like others have said you shouldn't be bottoming out so often that it snaps the frame.

That said, Turner has some pretty good customer service and I'm sure they'll take care of you and they'll probably have some answers as well. If you want to get something else go ahead but keep in mind that everything breaks.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
1) you obviously abused the bike

2) posting pictures and an incomplete story online will only hurt your credibility in terms of getting a replacement bike

3) turners are pretty damn solid when applied to the type of riding they are advertised/marketed towards.....I missed a landing on an 18 foot drop and flat landed it and totally exploded.....not even a hairline fracture on my bike......i felt guilty for even doing that drop because the bike is not intended for that kind of riding......

4)maybe delete this post and give turner a call......then get a highline, it's probably more tailored for your "style" of riding

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm not trying to bash you on here by calling you a hack. I don't even think hack riders can destroy a DHR as I've known a couple that are still going strong on their's. It's just impossible for me to believe you've destroyed that many DHRs without some sort of rider influence.

I've personally owned 4 DHRs and the only problem I ever had with one was when I washed out on a corner in the woods and smoked a tree with the downtube so hard the front triangle folded a bit and the Romic shock broke in two from the force of the top-out. And of course, Turner helped me out with a crash replacement on it.
and I can vouch that fury IS a tree smoking hack! :cheers: :biggrin:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well that obviously sucks, and i dont think the way the initial post was, really would be the way id do things specially if the company had honored past warranties, but sure if i thought i wasnt the culprit, and it was my 4th time, id be a bit pissed.
and just for the record, i also was a bit convinved about the dhr being right there on the podium of dh frame durability but i just was shown a few break in places very similar to that one last week.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
He said his first three went at the shockmount. Hardly something nobody has heard of, its a known "weak" spot.

This one though, thats definitely a repetative stress sort of thing, especially if you landing the jump fine as you said. Do you regularly do big stuff?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The 05s developed shock mount cracks. That's about the only consistent thing I've ever seen.

On my 04 frame......
I've cased, overshot, ditched and tossed 20-40 foot doubles, ridden a bizillion hours of true rough as hell dh terrain braking wheels, pedals handlebars etc........and I can't for the life of me figure out how the hell you did that. Mostly because turners are made of cheese about as much as the moon.

Seriously.....what the fvck did you do to that thing? A smooth landing no matter how big did that. And you know it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Geez....calm down people. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He broke a few bikes- doesn't make him a terrible rider, a bad mechanic or an idiot. Chill out and back off. Haters.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow, is this your first turner, why would you say I am never going to ride a turner again, if turner will replace it do you think it could be just that particular frame. I truly have not seen something that bad ever happen.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
wow, is this your first turner, why would you say I am never going to ride a turner again, if turner will replace it do you think it could be just that particular frame. I truly have not seen something that bad ever happen.
He says he's broken 3 before this one.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
really than he needs to change his riding style, or set the bike up correctly, i have seen DHR 3 years old raced every season without that happening

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
plus someone should tell him this is a bad place to be if he is going to bash on a turner, especialy because like 60% of DH racers use that bike. and probably 60+% people on this site would kill to have one or own one

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
plus someone should tell him this is a bad place to be if he is going to bash on a turner, especialy because like 60% of DH racers use that bike. and probably 60+% people on this site would kill to have one or own one
sounds like government stats to me. 60% Where you ride then is much different than where I do.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would suggest a Hood Mussel. You won't break it. Though that might be dull because there won't be anything to complain about, but, oh wait! Weight! There's something to complain about with the Mussel, it weighs a metric ton, but hey, at least it's high weight won't cost you money and time waiting for a new frame that could be spent riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.