Quantcast

which frame have best roll over features for rough terrain suspension/geo system.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
Did you order it from the guys from the guys from zerodeeurope.com ? Because i'm from switzerland too and i'm thinking about buying one over the winter. You ordered the M/L size ? I'm on a medium M9 at the moment, I think I also need the bigger frame.
you need the large i am 178cm and ride a m9 medium a v10c medium and yesterday i feel home the first time on a bike since 24years!!!!

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
wich the best fork for a zerode i am 94kg on the bike., i got this change, 13"-fox 40 13"-r2c2 or a 13"-888 ?
this forks i not like more, boxxer wc- dorado "not constant suspension feel"..

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
wich the best fork for a zerode i am 94kg on the bike., i got this change, 13"-fox 40 13"-r2c2 or a 13"-888 ?
this for i not like more boxxer wc dorado "not constant suspension feel..
I would probably go the Fox 40 or the Dorado route! The 40 will make the bike SUPER STIFF!

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
got a test ride "free-mountain.ch" on a 2013 gambler on my home trail that bike is sick corners super fast and it can plow to, i think it is the better bike than my v10c!! but on the zerode i feel home, hope it is inn next weekend.

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
there are super light, but very delicate!! ride it now with more air ust and the backward travel helps to to non dent fast! but i change sometime to a deemax!

Last edited:

katsooba

Chimp
Jul 27, 2012
seems like everyone in this thread are one minded towards the zerode, kinda makes me not want to ride one, just cause of some "marketability" as it seems.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
there are super light, but very delicate!! ride it now with more air ust and the backward travel helps to to non dent fast! but i change sometime to a deemax!
That's a bummer since my current wheelset is only 40g heavier. I assumed it is burly since it is labeled as a dh wheelset (it is the 1850g havoc? ). Just get an old 823 (the 590g lighter one) get a hope hub and dt revo spokes (or cx ray if you can afford it ) - the rim is stiff enough to support the spokes. For the front I have a ztr with a light hub and comps and the rear is super burly and the front is ok as long as I'n not an idiot. Kinda hoped they would be a wheelset for trashing. Guess the only way to go lighter and strong is carbon.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
That's a bummer since my current wheelset is only 40g heavier. I assumed it is burly since it is labeled as a dh wheelset (it is the 1850g havoc? ). Just get an old 823 (the 590g lighter one) get a hope hub and dt revo spokes (or cx ray if you can afford it ) - the rim is stiff enough to support the spokes. For the front I have a ztr with a light hub and comps and the rear is super burly and the front is ok as long as I'n not an idiot. Kinda hoped they would be a wheelset for trashing. Guess the only way to go lighter and strong is carbon.
what are good carbon rims nowadays? for light dh/aggresive enduro arent rims from lightcycle enough, similar to Flow EX? 350gram sounds low, hm.

Interesting spoke choice, thinner spokes for burlier rim and vice versa.

Regardng Zerode, I purchased Linkage app (bikechecker) and checked various frames. I noticed that Zerode frame bb drops craazy low like sub 15cm at full sag with relatively compressed WB. No wonder some feels that it plows through :)

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
low BB and a foward wheelpath? Not sure i understand what your saying :confused:
nah i mean when it is compressed down at highest impact then naturally WB compresses inward.

When I check the chainring of Zerode, I think riders could run BB so low that the bottom of frame catches the track instead.

I need time learn to use correct terms.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
what are good carbon rims nowadays? for light dh/aggresive enduro arent rims from lightcycle enough, similar to Flow EX? 350gram sounds low, hm.

Interesting spoke choice, thinner spokes for burlier rim and vice versa.

Regardng Zerode, I purchased Linkage app (bikechecker) and checked various frames. I noticed that Zerode frame bb drops craazy low like sub 15cm at full sag with relatively compressed WB. No wonder some feels that it plows through :)
Enve is light and burly but that's 420g and 470g for dh burly rim.

As for the spoke choice I was to test a pillar ss mega lite spokes with the ztr, still have the wheel built up but I am swarmed at work this year so no riding on it. Maybe I'll get one weekend on them but that's no test. Later this year it's time for a surgery so I will test the wheel next season. 799g wheel that handles dh is tempting.

As for spoke choices - I consulted it with a local spoke guru. He is a mad scientist of sort but it's simple. If the rim is stiff you can use spokes that offer less stiffness. Revo offer very little. There are very few rims I'd use them on.

As for the Zerode bb - I doubt it's lower at bottom out than a few other frames. At one point in 2011 I was using way to much sag on my legend. Over 40% because I was too lazy to change the spring after I gained some weight and started using neck brace and went riding with a backpack. Still rideable, just mind the pedal stokes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use to hit cranks all the time on my 951 with 30% sag. I rarely hit cranks on my Zerode with 30% sag.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Speaking of Zerode's BB. If we ignore geometry, theoretrical data, we look at physics.

Generally I see Banshee Legend's CoG quite good, then check Zerodes that is even more low Cog i.e. below BB. Even with minimal add of downtube, it'd makes difference for the feeling while ridding.

I did hit cranks all time with temporary 170mm fork on Sunday then.

Again I typed "bb" when I could write "bottom of the frame" measured to the ground ;)

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I hit cranks all the time on my V10C with 40% sag :D
Get something stupid low or ride a lot of tech xc on long cranks. You will be aware of your pedals more. Not to mention I kinda noticed most people over exaggerate the number of crank hits. Unless it wants to buck you like an evil it's not a problem ;)

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Get something stupid low or ride a lot of tech xc on long cranks. You will be aware of your pedals more. Not to mention I kinda noticed most people over exaggerate the number of crank hits. Unless it wants to buck you like an evil it's not a problem ;)
The V10C isn't stupid low?

Sagged in, it's around 7.9-8.4 (40%-35%), assuming 1:1 wheel travel : BB drop. Using same assumptions, most bikes are higher that I've checked.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The V10C isn't stupid low?

Sagged in, it's around 7.9-8.4 (40%-35%), assuming 1:1 wheel travel : BB drop. Using same assumptions, most bikes are higher that I've checked.
Ride a low bike and ride the v10c. It's not that low. Also the sag doesn't make it that much lower. Don't use linkage for measuring saged bb height. It always gave me numbers I found not correlated with the real world

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
You're correct, I was reading off of the wrong calc sheet.

I'm not using linkage (is that a program?) I'm just using naive, simple back of the envelope calculations, assuming the same wheel path for each bike. This assumption is obviously wrong, but also may (or may not) be sufficient to get ballpark estimates.

Using my imperfect assumptions, this is what I get. With frames that have adjustable geo, I tried to use the lowest BB settings as well as the longest travel settings:

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

I'm not using linkage (is that a program?) I'm just using naive, simple back of the envelope calculations, assuming the same wheel path for each bike. This assumption is obviously wrong, but also may (or may not) be sufficient to get ballpark estimates.

Using my imperfect assumptions, this is what I get. With frames that have adjustable geo, I tried to use the lowest BB settings as well as the longest travel settings:

Interesting chart, but as has probably been said ad nauseum on RM, tires and rims can make a significant difference in real world BB height measurements and published values.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
JEDI JEDI JEDI!!!! I've got time on V10Cs, Demos, Jedis at Northstar (probably 5 or 6 runs on each) and the Jedi just kills it, it's all about that suspension design. The rearward axle path doesn't get hung up on square edge hit, as well when it rebound it shortens and pushed the bike forward. The thing will accelerate through rocks like nothing else, it kind of scared me the first time on it, not going to lie.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

BB drop is about 65% of rear axle vertical sag, plus about 30% of however much fork sag you have (because fork travel is not purely vertical). It's hard to predict the measurement you'll get in the real world though because tyre diameter and pressure also affect things quite a bit, and most sag measurements aren't that accurate to begin with anyway.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
BB drop is about 65% of rear axle vertical sag, plus about 30% of however much fork sag you have (because fork travel is not purely vertical). It's hard to predict the measurement you'll get in the real world though because tyre diameter and pressure also affect things quite a bit, and most sag measurements aren't that accurate to begin with anyway.
Thank you for the information regarding axle vertical sag and fork sag impact on BB height :)

It's definitely true that most sag measurements are not accurate, and there really is a solid amount of inaccuracy built into the process of setting sag: Do you really take the same position with each measurement, and are you actually in the proper attack position every time? And so on.

However, I figure that I may as well make my tables the best that they can be; while some manufacturers will doubtless measure BB height differently, until Sicklines begins measuring BB height in a standard manner, it may be the best that I can get.

I have taken the liberty of incorporating your 65% vertical axle sag and 30% fork sag numbers into my table.

I have also changed it to reflect the fact that Santa Cruz recommends generally higher sag than most other manufacturers; for low sag the V10 is at 32% whilst the others are at 30%, for high sag the V10 has 38% to every other bikes' 35%. If anyone else knows of other brands with unique sag recommendations, feel free to let me know.

For fork sag, the chart assumes 8" fork travel, 30% sag, and that 35% of fork sag impacts BB height.

Finally, I'm of course assuming identical wheel, tube, tire, and PSI setups across the board.

Last edited: