Quantcast

Whip Thread

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I have been watching a bit of dirtbiking and admiring the dialed whips riders are pulling these days and actually getting inverted. I'm thinking this probably isn't possible on a bicycle because of the lack of centrifical force in the wheels and the fact that we far outweigh the bike and as such can't really hang off of it while sideways and flat. Does anyone have pics otherwise? I know people can get the bike flat with a tweaked table, and sideways with a crossup, but combining both seems pretty damn elusive for a pedal bike. The closest I've seen I think is Rennie in a video dirtjumping. Anyhow here is my weak attempt on a step up jump. Post your weak or not so weak attempt or thoughts on the matter.

And here is a corner I made just for the hell of it.... you can see the lip of the stepup by my head.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I think the trick to getting sideways on a bike is that you can't bring it all the way back. You just have to land a bit sideways. As long as the front wheel's straight, the back can be pretty whipped out and you'll still land OK.

Try looking out to the opposite side your back end is going as you whip.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I love the Euro style whips like the ones Bryn Atkinson does, where the bike is like sideways, and they pull up the bike with there legs and the front end is dumped, much like the ones tsage is doing in the 2six trailer.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Whips are fun.

not really sure what to call this one though...

not a really big whip, but a nice pic courtesy of T-pirate

I've found that you can really throw it out hard by starting the motion before you even take off, while on the lip. Already be leaning over some and get ready to just braap it out there and straighten up and pull it back straight to land. :)

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
atrokz posted what I was looking for. I have no problem kicking it sideways, it's sideways AND flat that I've found hard. Just kicking the rear to one side is pretty easy, but I'm not sure if that is a whip? I think I've been calling them cross ups. Maybe an old term..

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
i find that inorder to have it look somewhat like a moto whip, you need to do it like a moto whip (turned hips, started before takeoff), and really muscle the bike around, its not gonna get that way by itself

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
My favorite all time whip has to be the one of Jordie Lunn on the E13 poster, anyone have a pic of that online?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Let me be the first to say that Motomike is the whip king. Manimal actually called him "Lando" for a while symbolic for Land-o-Lakes Whipped Butter.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
sayndesyn said:
That's a table, side needs to be kicked out for a whip.
I see more of an un-turndown/table hybrid but not really either and definitely not a whip.

Here's one I really like, it's Carlin at Ellwood. I like how the front wheel is below the rear and the bike is hipped perfectly to match the landing. The jump is a ~20° hip, SB peeps will recognize it.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Has anyone seen Earthed 3? That guy with the crazy euro name in the Les Gets extras does a sick whip, about 90˚ out and then tables it before bringing back in.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
punkassean said:
I see more of an un-turndown/table hybrid but not really either and definitely not a whip.

Here's one I really like, it's Carlin at Ellwood. I like how the front wheel is below the rear and the bike is hipped perfectly to match the landing. The jump is a ~20° hip, SB peeps will recognize it.

That's nice.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I totally agree. There's something about whipping the bike that's universally stylish and it feels damned good too when you land one smooth.