Quantcast

Whistler is opening early

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Was up at Whistler on the weekend, and had a nice chat to a guy that works on the mountain during the summer. He said Whistler is planning to open up on April 1st, as long as they dont get 7 feet of snow between now and then. He went on to mention that a bunch of people, including himself have been pushing up, early in the mornings and riding the trails, and said Aline, DM and Schleyer are in perfect condition. Got to love that!

Season passes are going to be more expensive this year. He didnt tell me how much more. He mentioned that they are opening up the peak chair (for those of you that dont know Peak, it takes you to the highest peak on Whistler, as the name suggests), and there will be guided descents down on a daily basis.

Ash

Sep 8, 2004
Hey.

Thats good to hear! I can't wait to hit whistler.
Did you hit the shore on the way back? The weather was perfect for it.

-james.

Given Whistler probably had crappy winter season lift ticket sales, it doesn't surprise me that they'd bump up the price for the summer/mtb tickets.

But then again, if it really opens up 4/1, that means more time/use/riding/biking time... I suppose it evens out.

Can't wait!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Captain Crunch said:
Passes will be $325 CAN. this year. Extended play is supposed to be expanded to Wed through Sat this year, and Sundays on Hoiliday weekends.
Is this fact, or hearsay?

jewels oner

Chimp
Feb 11, 2005
Whistler rocks my world man...when I die I want to be shot out of a circus canon from the tippy-top :thumb:
I'll be trippin it up deer fo sho this year...
The Dubliner better be ready for me to drink up all the alcohol :drool:

jewels oner said:
Whistler rocks my world man...when I die I want to be shot out of a circus canon from the tippy-top :thumb:
I'll be trippin it up deer fo sho this year...
The Dubliner better be ready for me to drink up all the alcohol :drool:
Beer's too pricey there... I'd rather hit the liquor store and drink in the comfort of my hot tub.
:thumb:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
thats cool the bike park will open sooner this year that previous years, but the fact that this summer is going to suck, the mountains will most likely be shutdown for fires, and we will have a ban on the use of water....that doesnt make me smile.

i predict, if the weather continues like it has been going, by mid-summer at the latest, whistler will be the only place left open to ride..less it catches fire like kamloops did a couple years back causing sunpeaks to close :(

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Pass price was going up regardless. They have to offset the costs of all the building they do. That and right now garbonzo is a loosing proposition for them.

Right now it is still a lifty rumour. The april 1st date has been a rumour for a few weeks but until I hear it is solid from the marketting team I won't believe it, lifties and volleys tend to play every year but releasing an earlier than expected opening date (they did last year too) I believe it is more than possible with the crapp year, but at this point, its still rumour :)

predict, if the weather continues like it has been going, by mid-summer at the latest, whistler will be the only place left open to ride..less it catches fire like kamloops did a couple years back causing sunpeaks to close
Definately a possibility. We had the xc trails closed on us but mountain trails can be wetted down to stay open. :)

I'd like to take a guided ride from the top..... Ive heard theres some killer trails up there.
Ever look at the heli biking tour to the top of rainbow mountain? You would likely enjoy that too. Either one would be amazing:)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Captain Crunch said:
Passes will be $325 CAN. this year. Extended play is supposed to be expanded to Wed through Sat this year, and Sundays on Hoiliday weekends.
Hey Steve, I heard you went to a single crown 5-6" fork. Do you still have the Monster and if you do, want to sell it? Alan wants to put a new fork on his bike.

Ash

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
oly said:
I'd like to take a guided ride from the top..... Ive heard theres some killer trails up there.
We did a few years back with Tom from the park. This was before they opened Garbonzo though, so the trails we used to come off the back of the peak were some of :thumb: the ones we are riding now. It was KILLA'! There are some other ones that are not being utilized by the Garbonzo lift that are really cool and natural. You would have a blast Oly!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Has whistler ever had to close due to dry weather? I've never heard if it happening... but an early opening date would make sense, to make some of the money they lost this winter...

zane said:
Has whistler ever had to close due to dry weather? I've never heard if it happening... but an early opening date would make sense, to make some of the money they lost this winter...

I donthtink so vecause htey have water piped al over hte mountain. (for making snow) where as some mountains do not. I think that makes them mor elikely to stay open , in case there is a fire they can put it out quicker than a normal mountain. And enough revenue will change peoples views on staying open or closing.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
zane said:
No but our firefighting reserve (the big water reserves up top to produce snow and water) are completely dry. Its gonna be a tough year.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
whistler has 2 advantages..

1 - they are setup for making snow which aides in wetting the grounds
2 - whistler village has its own fire dept

both of these help whistler bypass the "out of bounds" closures that are enforced on the shore when the soil gets to dry and dangerous. the only thing that would force a closure for whistler is if there is a restriction put on water use causing the soil to get to dry, or if the surrounding areas catch fire, rendering travel to/from and occupancy of whistler dangerous.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Sead,

You are correct, but we no longer have the basins to make snow. We can't even do that anymore.

With the melt will come some water of course and fill the basins, hopefully it is enough to keep the grounds wet.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
bibs said:
...Schley has a new trail too.. :evil:

We rode that last year. Insane.
If you look at what the exchange rate is, the passes are going to be expensive.

$299 CAN x .806 = $241 USD

Ouch. I think they were $200 USD last year.

jewels oner

Chimp
Feb 11, 2005
I heard they are opening a trail called "The Pink Pony"...for all the "uphill putters" that mountain bike. Only tandems allowed :o:

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
ChainWhip said:
Beer's too pricey there... I'd rather hit the liquor store and drink in the comfort of my hot tub.
:thumb:
what about hitting up the liquor in your room, then stumbling into bars toasted to check out the women? hahahaha

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
buildyourown said:
We rode that last year. Insane.
If you look at what the exchange rate is, the passes are going to be expensive.

$299 CAN x .806 = $241 USD

Ouch. I think they were $200 USD last year.
You forgot to add the 7% GST :mumble:

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Captain Crunch said:
I heard what I heard from Tom Pro. I guess he could be making it up though, if he was being 'EVIL TOM PRO', but probably not......
Cool....just wondering...gotta put it in the budget :thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
seand said:
thats cool the bike park will open sooner this year that previous years, but the fact that this summer is going to suck, the mountains will most likely be shutdown for fires, and we will have a ban on the use of water....that doesnt make me smile.

i predict, if the weather continues like it has been going, by mid-summer at the latest, whistler will be the only place left open to ride..less it catches fire like kamloops did a couple years back causing sunpeaks to close :(
It needs to get wet around here as well. I'm not liking how spring/summer is setting up for us either.:(

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
SST is going to be a HUGE sandbox...the exits are going to get destroyed by lots-o-riding and lack of rain...

our trails are in serious danger this summer if this weather keeps up. i know im not looking forward to building this weekend because of how dry its getting...i had to dig down almost a foot last weekend to find rich, wet soil...IN FEBRUARY!!!

thesacrifice said:
what about hitting up the liquor in your room, then stumbling into bars toasted to check out the women? hahahaha
Good point there... since the hot tubs tend to be sausage fests :(

The Amsterdam's always a nice place to ppl watch... Thank goodness for tanktops, single-strapped purses slung diagonally, and slightly chilly nights! God Bless Canadia!

:devil:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
ChainWhip said:
.. since the hot tubs tend to be sausage fests
Case in point - at Glacier's Reach... :dead: :dead: :dead: :stosh:

And yessir...The Amsterdam has some nice hottie watching action. :devil:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Cittas ;)...catch em from all directions and generally cheaper.

Although the waitresses, especially this year, are much better at the dam.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
DamienC said:
Case in point - at Glacier's Reach... :dead: :dead: :dead: :stosh:

And yessir...The Amsterdam has some nice hottie watching action. :devil:

bwaaaahaaa, if you hadn't posted that pic I would have done it. :shame:

I gotta see this "freight train" thing.

Roasted said:
Although the waitresses, especially this year, are much better at the dam.
Word. That's what I like to hear...