Quantcast

Whistler is opening early

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
from NSMB.com said:
my original inquiry

Hi. I'd just like to take this time and relay the feeling of excitement regarding the possibility of the WB Bike Park opening up earlier than usual. I sincerly hope that it does if its a sustainable and viable option as I know there are throngs of mountain bikers in the Vancouver area alone that are itching for the lifts to be working. Just something to consider given the relatively poor snowfall this past season as well. I only checked the reply to my email address box as I would like to know what the odds are percentage wise of this happening. Thank you. Dave.

and the reply

Thank you for your suggestion.

We are currently trying to maintain the ski-outs to the Village base area for as long as we can for the convenience of our skiers/riders. When the ski-outs become impassable, we will look at the possibility of opening the mountain bike park.

Because of the season, there are still a lot of great mountain biking trails out of Whistler Blackcomb’s boundary, at lower elevation, that are fully operational. Some of the trail network in the valley (south to Squamish) and plenty of trails in Pemberton (25 minutes north of Whistler) are free of snow and offer great mountain biking right now.

While I can not give you the “exact odds”, we promise to do all we can to open up the park for mountain for biking, as soon as it is possible…. and safe to do so.

Carol...
Read that on nsmb.com. Someone took the time to write someone at whistler. Figured I would pass it along

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
one of the better trails in/around whistler to check out is a river runs through it. i highly recommend it..

and of course, hit up squish...fully worth the trip!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Roasted said:
Read that on nsmb.com. Someone took the time to write someone at whistler. Figured I would pass it along
interesting about the ski-outs. even skiing down to the level of the top of the gondola (both whistler and blackomb) was disgustingly slushy...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Well I do know for a fact most of the trails on the lower part of whistler are rideable. A little hike a bike and a-line is good to go :)

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Freak said:
Whistler Mountain Bike Park Official Opening Day: May 21, 2005
The Bike Park will also open weekends only, weather and operating conditions dependant, starting April 30, 2005.

http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/events/
Sorry, this has got me a bit confused.

So it's open weekends (saturdays and sundays??) from 30th April, and open 7 days a week from 21st May???

Im going to be passing through vancouver on a round the world trip 2nd week of may and am itching to ride whistler if it's open. I will need to hire a bike and armour etc as there is no way im lugging my bike around the world just for 2 days in whislter, so besides the whislter kona's is there anywhere else you can hire bikes from?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there are numerous places to rent bikes and armour/armor in whistler

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Toshi said:
there are numerous places to rent bikes and armour/armor in whistler
Actually, i have decided to take my own armour/helmet but the Turner is too much to lug around.

Where can you get bikes from and how much.

All i can find is the whislter park bikes (kona's) and summit are supposed to be doing RMX's. But, yeh, they are my two least favorite bikes (kona and Rocky mountains).

Is there any where thats does santa cruz, or even specalized? Or am i doomed to ride on a kona or RM :D

Some links, contacts and prices would be appreciated. I want to sought it out prior to getting there so i know i have a bike to ride.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Cave Dweller said:
Actually, i have decided to take my own armour/helmet but the Turner is too much to lug around.

Where can you get bikes from and how much.

All i can find is the whislter park bikes (kona's) and summit are supposed to be doing RMX's. But, yeh, they are my two least favorite bikes (kona and Rocky mountains).

Is there any where thats does santa cruz, or even specalized? Or am i doomed to ride on a kona or RM :D

Some links, contacts and prices would be appreciated. I want to sought it out prior to getting there so i know i have a bike to ride.
Im sure some of the bike shops "demo" bikes. Ive seen decked out Bikes in front of Fanatico that were to be rented.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
oly said:
Im sure some of the bike shops "demo" bikes. Ive seen decked out Bikes in front of Fanatico that were to be rented.
Don't suppose you know any shops that would be hiring out demo "turner DHR's" :D

I just know im going to get there, riding the sickest trails known to man kind on some P.O.S kona, kicking myself for not bring the turner.

If only i wasn't going travelling around europe for 4 weeks after whistler :(

Cave Dweller said:
Don't suppose you know any shops that would be hiring out demo "turner DHR's" :D

I just know im going to get there, riding the sickest trails known to man kind on some P.O.S kona, kicking myself for not bring the turner.

If only i wasn't going travelling around europe for 4 weeks after whistler :(
I don't recall seeing any DHR's last year for rent (that's not to say it can't happen this year) - although, I did see a couple of Demo 9's & a Foes Fly for rent.

Regardless though, you still need to ride Whistler... even if you have to rent a Kona.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
ChainWhip said:
I don't recall seeing any DHR's last year for rent (that's not to say it can't happen this year) - although, I did see a couple of Demo 9's & a Foes Fly for rent.
Last year my girlfriend rented a Banshee Chaparral from a shop. They also rent Screams there. I don't recall the name of the shop, but if you're at the gondola looking up the mountain it's off to the right. Has a really tiny upstairs and a big downstairs area. I want to say they charged $100 (canadian) for a full day or something like that.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Cave Dweller said:

Prices are all around the same 100$cdn / day. I can't get you links but bikes available are

Any norco VPS (can't remember the name but they are kitty corner to sushi village)
Demo9's somewhere in the neighbourhood (evolution bikes I think)
Banshee scream @ summit
Kona and Rocky of course

All right around the same price. For the really high end norcos I think they overcharge though @ 129 I think.

I've been there once during summer (August), are there enough single women around to even count on two hands?
How long has it been. Ain't no sausage fest in the summer. The beaches are packed all summer with smoking hot women and girls.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
thesacrifice said:
didn't even know there was a beach, boing!

That's one of the best parts of Whistler in the summer. You can ride from the lift to the beach and cool off with a swim. The scenery is amazing. There is also a topless platform out in the middle of the lake. Good stuff.