Quantcast

Whistler!!

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
General Whistler 2022 thread time!

So who's going or already there? Trails running good?

A few stray observations from abroad:
* Accommodation seems to be ridiculously expensive (more than usual)
* Creekside gondola isn't running this summer, which sucks
* BC Transit seems to be in negotiation with the local government so buses to the village may not be running??

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My Funcle is otw up there for the summer as I type this, and I've asked him to let me know how everything is running. Doubtful I'll get up this year though with a busy summer schedule and how expensive airfare is atm :(

Hope some monkies can make it tho, and let me know if you need some intel from my familials.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Who cares about creekside? We didn’t have it til recently anyway and honestly while it’s fun, it’s not why I go to whistler. There are very few rock slabs and no good jump trails there. I guess if I wanted to zone out on mile high berms than it’s chill? But again, not why I go to whistler.

snow is awfully low this year for opening of the season. Garbo is stated to open next week, but my guess is that it will be delayed?

I bought a season pass and plan on being up there…but.. I crashed two weeks ago and broke my clavicle into six pieces, two days before my first whistler trip this summer.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
It sounds like they kind of fumbled that announcement or the advertisement of it, as some folks had places booked on that side, only to realize later that they won't be able to access it.
100% totally understand that. I did enjoy parking over there because it was free in the peak summer season and the gondola is pretty relaxed as is there no line to get up usually. Not to mention that I often stay at the Hostel down in Olympic Village during crap weather periods and it’s closer to that.

But if this means better lifts for next year, then whatever.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
While I certainly agree that Garbo and Fitz have a lot of great trails, I felt like Delayed Fuse to BCs trail was my all time favorite combo (well, its even better if you include Top-Of-The-World to Ride Dont Slide). Plus, it was always less crowded, including the food/beer joints at the bottom. But like MrBaker said, if it means a moar better lift situation, its worth the wait.
Damn, now I want to lie to my better half about a "required" work conference I need to attend in Seattle this summer. :think:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone know what shops in the village are renting GT fury’s. I need to rent a DH bike for m’Lady next month and she’s short which makes it hard to find bikes that fit her (but I know Fury’s do).

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
While I certainly agree that Garbo and Fitz have a lot of great trails, I felt like Delayed Fuse to BCs trail was my all time favorite combo (well, its even better if you include Top-Of-The-World to Ride Dont Slide). Plus, it was always less crowded, including the food/beer joints at the bottom. But like MrBaker said, if it means a moar better lift situation, its worth the wait.
Damn, now I want to lie to my better half about a "required" work conference I need to attend in Seattle this summer. :think:
Have always stayed in Creekside and BC's was a great way to finish the day and end up close to the hostel. Looking to stay around that area (or further out) again this time. If anyone has any info on sneaky trails out of the bike park that end up in Creekside or thereabouts, #helpabrothaout and DM me.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Have always stayed in Creekside and BC's was a great way to finish the day and end up close to the hostel. Looking to stay around that area (or further out) again this time. If anyone has any info on sneaky trails out of the bike park that end up in Creekside or thereabouts, #helpabrothaout and DM me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Is Canada letting Americans in? Pretty sure Trudeau says no.

Also, Go COLORADO AVALANCHE!

Take that, Hockey Night in Canada! :D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Trudeau and his buddy Juggers is letting everyone in, but not letting Canadians fly around freely.

Haven't been up yet and I have a 10-day pass. I find the older I get, more and more time is dedicated to doing crap that I don't want to do and less time on stuff I want to do.

I can't wait to try my 223 rotors!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How's Whistler in early September, I presume pretty good as schools being back should quieten it down?

I've only ever gone in July for all my prior trips.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Worst trip of my life. Started awesome - great crew, had a good coaching session, steak dinner, beers and laughs and day 1. Then on day 2 my best friend of 28 years died of a massive heart attack on the trail. Spent 25 minutes doing CPR until patrol arrived, then the medics, but we just couldn't bring him back. Had to call his widow...won't ever forget that for as long as I live. Then had to deal with the clusterfuck of canadian BS to get his stuff back and his body shipped back to the states. Just spread his ashes in Downieville yesterday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Worst trip of my life. Started awesome - great crew, had a good coaching session, steak dinner, beers and laughs and day 1. Then on day 2 my best friend of 28 years died of a massive heart attack on the trail. Spent 25 minutes doing CPR until patrol arrived, then the medics, but we just couldn't bring him back. Had to call his widow...won't ever forget that for as long as I live. Then had to deal with the clusterfuck of canadian BS to get his stuff back and his body shipped back to the states. Just spread his ashes in Downieville yesterday.
Fuck dude. I'm sorry you had to go through that and sorry for the loss of your friend.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Holy shit man. So sorry to hear about your friend. And sorry that you had to go through that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
damn. really sorry to hear that man. i can't imagine dealing with that. hang in there and stay strong. e-bro hugs.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sorry to hear dude.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Fuck man! Really sorry.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks fellas. If you haven't already, I highly suggest getting wilderness first aid training...and get a heart scan to see if you have an unexpected blockage.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That sounds awful @djjohnr , sorry for you and all involved in that drama.

How's Whistler in early September, I presume pretty good as schools being back should quieten it down?

Have been there the three says after labor day and it was awesome, small queues, empty trails, seating available at all the places and colourful woods. One out of one data points though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have been there the three says after labor day and it was awesome, small queues, empty trails, seating available at all the places and colourful woods. One out of one data points though.
Late season, are the trails all rock hard and dust like they come across in the Crankworx videos?

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch

Late season can pretty damn good in the bike park. Depending on what you’re after at least.

I’ve often spent loads of time in September there as well as trying to hang out the last week plus of the bike park opening in October.

Weather can be hit or miss with increased chances of snow that can close Garbanzo and even the whole mountain in October (not usual). Temperatures can fluctuate heavily in the park. 70 at base of Fitz to 32 deg at the top of Garbo. Best to pick a zone and play there for a while at a time.

Despite what people say, the much of the rocks are still pretty damn grippy in the wet. Just hold on. There is a certain red rock that can get dicey that appears in the Garbo zone (Goat’s Gully, parts of OG Sin) that I would stay on your best behavior around. Some of the really, really big slabs like Tatiana and McSlabbin’s rock aren’t the best if it’s pissing. Dirt Merchant pro line runs insanely slow if the soil is saturated.

Everything else is a mixture of great and rad.

Lines can still be hell in September. Mostly weekends though.

Popular tracks (aka a-line) can be periodically closed for revival after crankworks. But this can also mean fresh hits. Roll of the dice really.

Park closes at 5PM after Labor Day and they quit running Creekside as well (which isn’t open this year anyway).

They don’t always build drainage on some of the upper Garbo tech trails, so standing puddles will last through end of the season if it starts to rain a lot. Even on nice days. Just how it goes and makes it so the upper tech trails stay tech 5/6th of the season.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm heading up there for a 4 day weekend this Friday. Based on the trails I've riding in the Seattle/Bellingham area, I expect it to be pretty hard with lots of dust. I don't see any rain on the horizon.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Canadian Open DH was great. Great to see Tracey and Brosnan take the win on "home" soil. Shout out to Aussie, Peter Knott, who is unsponsored working full-time in Squamish and managed to pull a 2nd ahead of some big guns. Hope he gets selected for Worlds.

podium 1.jpg

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The lift lines I saw earlier this season were insane and unacceptable. A solid hour for the Fitz lift. I could (and should have) just pedaled up.

I don't see how this is OK for a world class resort. It's not like this is their first year or two doing summer operations.

Considering another trip around Labor Day. Hoping it's not nearly that bad later in the season.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The lift lines I saw earlier this season were insane and unacceptable. A solid hour for the Fitz lift. I could (and should have) just pedaled up.

I don't see how this is OK for a world class resort. It's not like this is their first year or two doing summer operations.

Considering another trip around Labor Day. Hoping it's not nearly that bad later in the season.
The hiker prioritization is a big problem IMO. The fact that the bike-capable gondolas are like 1 out of 6 or whatever is frustrating as hell. I could see 50/50 or whatever, but having to wait for such a limited number while hikers (more like riders, because they only really hike a few hundred feet) get on un-restricted is not ok for something with the reputation of Whizzler.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
whistler undoubtedly has a great trail network, but the lift lines are getting old. for my $84 ticket, i'd rather not be sitting in line for 45mins a lap? despite whistler being only 1.5 hrs from my door, i find the interior mountains (with generally no lines, and pretty damn great trails) more & more compelling these days.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
haven't done more than a TOTW or 2 per season since the son was born in 2018, then moved to Squamish. Creekside was nice for extended play, but going to the village just isn't fun. I'm sure I'll get back into it once jr gets into riding more, but at least creekside should be back in action by then!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The hiker prioritization is a big problem IMO. The fact that the bike-capable gondolas are like 1 out of 6 or whatever is frustrating as hell. I could see 50/50 or whatever, but having to wait for such a limited number while hikers (more like riders, because they only really hike a few hundred feet) get on un-restricted is not ok for something with the reputation of Whizzler.
How does that affect the Fitz lift? Just annoyed bikers overflow to that from the gondola?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How does that affect the Fitz lift? Just annoyed bikers overflow to that from the gondola?
Well you cant spread everything out as well. The usual idea is if something’s crowded, go somewhere else, but when you dont have any other options, shit stacks up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
whistler undoubtedly has a great trail network, but the lift lines are getting old. for my $84 ticket, i'd rather not be sitting in line for 45mins a lap? despite whistler being only 1.5 hrs from my door, i find the interior mountains (with generally no lines, and pretty damn great trails) more & more compelling these days.
Its the backcountry skiing idea. There are trails across the valley and all over BC that are as good or better, but you have to climb to them. With BC skiing i only get a few runs, but its on my own terms, not skied out in two minutes, much more enjoyable turns, if less turns.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well you cant spread everything out as well. The usual idea is if something’s crowded, go somewhere else, but when you dont have any other options, shit stacks up.
Might be time to shit on the CEO's desk to demonstrate.