Quantcast

Whiteface 10 run challenge

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
On Friday July 29 thru Sunday August 1st Whiteface will host the "10 Run Challenge"
If you can do 10 runs on the same day, on the same bike you ride the next day for free.
Can you do it? I don't think so!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I was there at opening weekend and got 4 in starting at 1:30. Pretty darn sure I can do 10 in a day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I call BS on this! If you did 10 runs one day, you would not even want to go close to that mountain the next day! :rofl:
pretty much. I think I would do it for the challenge, then graciously decline the second day pass in favor of a rubdown in town.

I think I got 8 my first time, that was morning till close, and included some runs WFO on the dirt roads. You better have some damn good brakes with fresh pads if you're gonna attempt that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I call BS on this! If you did 10 runs one day, you would not even want to go close to that mountain the next day! :rofl:
That may be true. Well, I may be up there that weekend, we'll see what happens. :rofl:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Since all rules haven't been set yet, we could have the free pass for any day this season instead of the next day. I just figured we are a travel destination and most people come for at least 2 days. That way the pinners could ride for the whole weekend super cheap.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The pros make it down the course in under 8 minutes. We do have 27 different trails. You can use any combination of trails that you want. You can certainly choose a faster way down than any 5 K DH course we ever had.
10 runs = 24,756 feet of vertical or approx. 25 miles of downhill. No need to feel ripped off with less than 10 runs dude.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mike, I get sicker and sicker every time I have to read your posts. If I lived local....I'd be there for free on Sunday.

This post is to imply that I am jealous and pissed off that I can't come up and ride.:D

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
WF ain't a bunch of San Fernando fire roads!
yeah if you don't hack it via going down the fireroads only, it's a challenge to make it down in less than 10 minutes. I think last time I was there, I psuedo-timed a few runs, and they typically come in at around 14-20 minutes. That's if you don't A) pin it the whole time, and B) don't stop at all except at the bottom. This is likely to be a challenge for everybody who doesn't just bomb the fireroads, and even then it's still likely a 5+ minute trip down the mountain.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
WF ain't a bunch of San Fernando fire roads!
Where are these San Fernando fire roads exactly? Only fire road I've been on around there was to push up a short ways to a few other trails. All fast and wide open though...no rocks, nothing steep, no death defying gnar. All mellow, flat, and open.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Not knowing Whiteface it still sounds entirely do-able.

Silver Mountain, ID hosted an 8-hour endurance downhill a few years ago. Runs down the Hammer to the gondola base take 15-20 minutes and 6+ miles @ 3,400' elevation drop each run. Besides that, the gondola ride back up takes 20 minutes. If you figure a few of us did 11 (one guy did 12) laps, that made it 37,400 vertical and over 60 miles of rocky, gnarly North Idaho DH trail in an 8-hour span.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005

Silver Mountain, ID hosted an 8-hour endurance downhill a few years ago. Runs down the Hammer to the gondola base take 15-20 minutes and 6+ miles @ 3,400' elevation drop each run. Besides that, the gondola ride back up takes 20 minutes. If you figure a few of us did 11 (one guy did 12) laps, that made it 37,400 vertical and over 60 miles of rocky, gnarly North Idaho DH trail in an 8-hour span.
It is fully doable. We are prepared to give away many day passes for this challenge.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Definitely sounds my worth while to travel across the border for this! I've always wanted to see what the face has to offer.

Only one thing.. Friday July 29th? According to my computer, we aren't expecting one of those until next year. Friday the 30th possibly?

Also, the free pass, would we be able to exchange it for some sort of discount on the 5k DH this fall? If so, you can definitely expect me down there for both this upcoming weekend and the 5k.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
You are correct on the dates. It will be on Friday July 30th thru Sunday August 1st.
Rules will be released on Monday. If the free pass is good for any day this year, we will have a blackout date for the 5 K DH weekend.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
It was foul attempt at bad east vs west humor - actually I ripped that line off some Spooky bikes interview from the 90's re: MBA testing all their bikes on some "damned San Fernando fire road".

EDIT: my usual WF limit is 5-6, which equates to 15,000 feet of descending.

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA

Minor Threat...Out of Step.... Gotta go dig out my old Spooky T.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It was foul attempt at bad east vs west humor - actually I ripped that line off some Spooky bikes interview from the 90's re: MBA testing all their bikes on some "damned San Fernando fire road".

EDIT: my usual WF limit is 5-6, which equates to 15,000 feet of descending.
Lol i knew what it was :P. I love the epic east-west "controversy" probably as much as anyone!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
5-6 in a day is good for me at Whiteface. When we were there in June we averaged 20 minutes from top to bottom with stops to refresh arms and legs.

My best time ever was racing the 5k 8:11. Even back then when I was in my prime 10 runs would have been a stretch and I know for sure the next morning you would feel like you got your ass kicked.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Was that the 1st 5 k dh? The 1st 5 K DH James Ford won in 6:36. That's when you went left of mid on the ski hill, and before the wood chips were added below mid.

I think this years course will be 9 minutes?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Was that the 1st 5 k dh? The 1st 5 K DH James Ford won in 6:36. That's when you went left of mid on the ski hill, and before the wood chips were added below mid.

9 minutes PINNED! I hacked away at a 10 minute run on the old course back 3 years ago in '07.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Easily 9+ minutes I'd guess. Gets in the woods much higher on the hill and the first 3 minutes should be balls to the wall on the most techy terrain on the mountain. Watching the ballers race down the newly redone Cliffs of Insanity will be very impressive.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Cliffs of Insanity will probably bring pro times close to 9-10 minutes.

Keep in mind the entire trail from Approach down to where it pops out on the ski slope after joining 24 is getting a facelift. Most of the switchbacks will be bermed and a few slow spots straightened out and cleaned up.

I spent almost three weeks up there in june/july helping Peter Mills prep the GRT track and its gonna be pretty special. Plenty of traditional whiteface gnar with a big boost in speed and flow between sections.

While some might say the trail has been made "easier", the speed has increased by so much that its going to present a whole new challenge when ridden at speed with all the sections linked up.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
what is your guys' lift like... i could see this being a promo at like wisp just because their lift is so damn slow.... you lose 30mins everytime you ride up the thing.

otherwise... sounds like a ton of fun.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
what is your guys' lift like... i could see this being a promo at like wisp just because their lift is so damn slow.... you lose 30mins everytime you ride up the thing.

otherwise... sounds like a ton of fun.
It's a gondola. It moves.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Isn't this a <10 minute run? I'd feel ripped off if I DIDN'T get 10 runs in there..
coming from SB, and having ridden some socal gnar, and now living in norcal and riding N* (where I average about 14 runs a day on a single day trip, and about 10-11 on a two day trip), I'll say this: 10 runs at whiteface in a day isn't a joke. I could probably manage to do it, but there would be no way I'd be riding the next day. Its pretty physical and steep there.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
coming from SB, and having ridden some socal gnar, and now living in norcal and riding N* (where I average about 14 runs a day on a single day trip, and about 10-11 on a two day trip), I'll say this: 10 runs at whiteface in a day isn't a joke. I could probably manage to do it, but there would be no way I'd be riding the next day. Its pretty physical and steep there.
Hmmm, interesting. This really makes me want to check out whiteface now. What's the lift like compared to stuff around here?

Last edited: