Quantcast

Who has an LG-1?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
TurnerDHRider said:
ooo...i want one now..mmm..yummy...how do i make a custom taco? can i just cut out the e13 supercharger and bolt it on? or do i need to find something else..??
KC
That is what I am thinking about doing in the near future. Then no more SGS. But if you have an SGS, wait it out, because they are comming with a kit to turn the top guide of the SGS into a LG1. And you can either make your own "taco" or you can wait and buy one.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
ThePriceSeliger said:
That is what I am thinking about doing in the near future. Then no more SGS. But if you have an SGS, wait it out, because they are comming with a kit to turn the top guide of the SGS into a LG1. And you can either make your own "taco" or you can wait and buy one.
nah i dont have it...but sorry..where do you actually mount the custom cut out superchager taco? is it the 2 round holes? cause the 3 long oval holes are for the ISCG mount right? But if you use the 2 holes to mount the taco..will it be strong enough?
KC

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
TurnerDHRider said:
nah i dont have it...but sorry..where do you actually mount the custom cut out superchager taco? is it the 2 round holes? cause the 3 long oval holes are for the ISCG mount right? But if you use the 2 holes to mount the taco..will it be strong enough?
KC
Well some riders are riding it now and I havn't heard anything, but I'm not "in the loop". Yes, the 3 holes are for ISCG and the 2 holes are for the super charger(taco). I beleive it will be strong enough, but make sure if you do cut a supercharger, be very careful, and make sure it is big enough to fit the bolts and that nothing can get passed it. I don't even know if the holes will match up to a normal supercharger, but it's always worth a chance.

From the go-ride website.
Hint- cut a chunk of a Supercharger bashring and bolt it to the back plate for a bit of protection!

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
ThePriceSeliger said:
Well some riders are riding it now and I havn't heard anything, but I'm not "in the loop". Yes, the 3 holes are for ISCG and the 2 holes are for the super charger(taco). I beleive it will be strong enough, but make sure if you do cut a supercharger, be very careful, and make sure it is big enough to fit the bolts and that nothing can get passed it. I don't even know if the holes will match up to a normal supercharger, but it's always worth a chance.

From the go-ride website.
Hint- cut a chunk of a Supercharger bashring and bolt it to the back plate for a bit of protection!
Alright..thanks alot for the info!!! many thanks

KC

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have never had any problems with mine in the mud. Example:Whistler with a week of straight rain. It was an older guide as well. The new ones shoulnd't have any problems. I have owned a Truvativ Boxguide and really didn't like it. I would take a SRS over any other guide out there.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
very cool, did ya just chop up a supercharger bash or is that something else? Also can't help but notice that you are running different bolts in the linkage?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian said:
I just took an old e.thirteen Supercharger guard and cut it to fit.

nope..those are stock bols mate..

hmm the bolt just looked different, o well my bad

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'll be getting an LG1 for my chase sometime whenever i hear if they will gimme a deal or if i got denied of sponsorness.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The bolt pattern lines up with the crank's bolt pattern so I would assume it's 4x104 and then you'd just get the supercharger size that fits whatever ring you're running (40tooth for me).

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
I've been wanting to buy one, but with such a low bb height with 9 inches of travel on my orange I'm not too sure if not have a bashguars is a great idea. I'm kinda nervous about ripping the iscg mounts off my frame...:dead:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Fury said:
The bolt pattern lines up with the crank's bolt pattern so I would assume it's 4x104 and then you'd just get the supercharger size that fits whatever ring you're running (40tooth for me).
Ok, cool. Thanks a lot.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
gangstamaxx said:
I've been wanting to buy one, but with such a low bb height with 9 inches of travel on my orange I'm not too sure if not have a bashguars is a great idea. I'm kinda nervous about ripping the iscg mounts off my frame...:dead:
Having a bashguard wouldn't make a difference in hitting your boomerang. Unless you meant "taco" when you said "bashguars", but I think a plastic bashguard would bend/shatter before any damage was done to your frame. Anyway, this is why I have a Gamut which is as light as a LG1 and has a real bashguard.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Gamuts look kinda cheap to me though. The rollers look like they won't work and the development that's gone into the e-13s is a lot more than the Gamuts.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ThePriceSeliger said:
That is where the "taco" will mount.

Not the ISCG mounts, more the holes on the guide itself.

I think its like a deer whistle, so you dont plow any 'cause you're going so fast.

:D

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Bicyclist said:
Gamuts look kinda cheap to me though. The rollers look like they won't work and the development that's gone into the e-13s is a lot more than the Gamuts.
So you're basing your opinion on looks... ok.

Look at a E13. How much R&D is needed for a few pieces of plastic? Gamuts are even simpler. I've ridden a Gamut for the past season and the only problems I've had were because of me improperly setting it up (my old E13 dropped chains too before I set it up right). I've never had any problems with it being "cheap" and my rollers work fine.

I don't want to turn this into a chainguide debate though, I'm just saying you should get some ride time on a Gamut before forming opinons based on its looks. Anyway, back to the normal discussion.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
black noise said:
Look at a E13. How much R&D is needed for a few pieces of plastic?
You would be be surprised at just how many hours of resaearch and design are in those "few pieces of plastic". Seriously, have you ever designed your own custom, impact resistent "plastic" formula?

Dave has.

How about FEAing anything at all?

Dave has.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Transcend said:
You would be be surprised at just how many hours of resaearch and design are in those "few pieces of plastic". Seriously, have you ever designed your own custom, impact resistent "plastic" formula?

Dave has.

How about FEAing anything at all?

Dave has.

Well I have, and hours to an engineer are like minutes to us. A few days of R&D are nothing compared to what goes into more complex designs. I will attest to using plastics though that it is a little more time consuming when figuring out the correct "formula" to get the properties you want that mass produced plastics do not meet. Even after all that engineering it still comes down to real world testing.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
black noise said:
Look at a E13. How much R&D is needed for a few pieces of plastic?
In the case of the LG1, that was kickced off with about 4 years of experience working with the SRS, both as a rider, mechanic in the pits, and engineer, then 86 hours of 3D modeling for the first revision, another 15 hours for the second revision. We built and tested rapid prototype SLS models of the product before going to the second revision. Exactly 182 hours of processor time later on a very fast dual processor intel machine running COSMOS Advanded Professional Nonlinear analysis, then after 60 hours of tool design, tools were ready to be cut. This ended in Februry of 2005. From there we spent a whole race season of testing with some of the world's best and hardest riders on the World Cup stage It ended up with a couple European National Championships, several World Cup wins, and Dual World Championship status by the time it was all over. Then it was ready for production.

So, to answer your question, about 5 years...

Dave

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Transcend said:
They no longer use Makrolon, they use Tuffmax. Dave did create the mixture for Tuffmax.

Did he come with that name too?:D

I would have picked megasupersmackitup or something.

I would say dave has too much time on his hands but then again.........I have two chainguides that have lasted me more than 3 years each........

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kidwoo said:
Did he come with that name too?:D

I would have picked megasupersmackitup or something.

I would say dave has too much time on his hands but then again.........I have two chainguides that have lasted me more than 3 years each........
Dave likes to keep himself busy I think...see thread about the new shock mounting standard he wants to create. :help:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
kidwoo said:
Dave didn't invent makrolon.
That is true, but then again, there hasn't been any Makrolon in an e13 product since September of 2003!

I didn't invent any of the thermoplastics that we use, but I did work with the blends and specific material properties that we use. I dont know if I have too much time on my hands or if I just like to work a lot more hours than most people. Trying to get all my working done now so I can ride and test product in the summer!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Transcend said:
Dave likes to keep himself busy I think...see thread about the new shock mounting standard he wants to create. :help:
Wants to create,... its done!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dw said:
Wants to create,... its done!
I stand corrected. Can we work on a tuffmax chairmat thing next?

The one under my desk keeps getting torn up due to being on thick carpet. All the rolling over tot he phone to answer Jonas' calls is doing it in!

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
we dont need anymore "standards" that no one is going to follow. the bike industry has enough of these already. what's wrong with each frame having it's own mounting system, anyway? it allows the designer to have full control of the design and not be limited by another "standard." just my opinion at least.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
beaverbiker said:
we dont need anymore "standards" that no one is going to follow. the bike industry has enough of these already. what's wrong with each frame having it's own mounting system, anyway? it allows the designer to have full control of the design and not be limited by another "standard." just my opinion at least.
And it makes it 100% more difficult to get proper hardware for shock mounting.

Seriously, it can be a major pain in the ass to get the proper hardware when you get a new shock or move a shock to a new frame.

I can see it being extremely useful...but I can also see ISCG being useful and the manufacturers can't even get that right yet so....

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
back on the chainguide subject, it's a simple component. why does everyone keep trying to over complicate it with all this design and r&d time? now a 15MW gas turbine power system that can run for years without stopping, that's a different story.